• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Am considering trying out a Galco belly band IWB holster because it's one of the few belly band holsters available OTC (the Glaco is presently in stock at Cabela's) so if it turns out not to be for me returning it will be no problem. I was just looking for the input of those with hopefully extensive experience using one and could share with me the pros and cons you have discovered. I plan on using it to carry a S&W Shield and 1 spare mag, but I would also appreciate a person experience using it to carry a full sized HG. I have little doubt any belly band will likely be hot in the summer months, so I am prepared to accept that fact.

If I like it will also give it a try using it for IDPA.

Thanks,
    Arthur.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Before I was able to obtain and develop extra stomach muscle and the girth that all women find irresistible, I used a belly band to carry a variety of revolvers. My favorite was the 357 magnum sp101 in the belly band. You have to leave a button of your shirt unbuttoned to access the handgun.

I don't think it is legal or safe for IDPA. But I don't know all the IDPA Rules.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I didn't check the IDPA rule book basically because if a belly band works well for me I wont care if I can use it in IDPA or not as I have several other holsters for that, I would just like to it in IDPA as a training aid for becoming good with it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have a Bianchi model (no longer made) that I've had for about thirty years.

First you have to choose how to wear it. I've found that a position that mimics a shoulder holster works best for me so that the piece is concealed under my arm but I lean towards big guns. The smaller the gun the more versatility you will have. Many prefer left of center with the rig partially in the pants like IWB carry.

Wear a t-shirt under it. I wore mine in a hot environment once with a blued gun which had turned orange down its entire left side by the time I got home.

If you carry a magazine in it you may find that you can't get to it easily. Practice with it to see if carrying the mag in the belly band is practical.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not IDPA legal. Also you can't take a training class or even practice very effectively. The holster closes on itself after the gun is drawn. Carrying a stiker fired gun in such a thin material makes me nervous but that is my bias. The crossbreed version eliminates some of this.

I have tried them but not extensively. In a nutshell they are hot and tend to bunch up. They are an option for deep concealment of a small handgun. Nice think is no clips showing when a shirt is tucked.

I have found the smart carry works better for me in this role.

UK2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I have had good experience with the IWB holsters. I purchased one at Gander to try them out to see if I'd like. I ended up ordering two from Alien Gear for a Beretta and a Ruger SR45. The SR45 is full sized and is pretty comfortable tucked in my right quarters LOL. The thing I like about Alien Gear is that they have a forever warranty and do kydex shell swaps if you change up your gear, my beretta shell is currently getting refitted for a G19. BTW size does matter on this subject - Wranglers and an IWB holster w/ a 45 does not mix HAHA. I'm 280lbs and 6'4" so no the fittest of types. Hope that helps!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Call me Kirk but, are these things safe?
    Looks to me like the only thing protecting the trigger on some of these is spandex? One bad lean or reach over anything that could fit into the trigger guard and...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks to me like the only thing protecting the trigger on some of these is spandex? One bad lean or reach over anything that could fit into the trigger guard and...

That's why I like the crossbreed modular belly band holster. It solves that problem.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I use to carry a S&W 642 in a belly band when I worked for the DNR a while back. Part of my gig was working 3rd shift gate attendant at the horseman's campground. We weren't allowed to carry, and I was alone in a shack in the middle of the night with a few thousand dollars on busy weekends. Needless to say, I didn't pay too much attention to the rules. Belly band was the only way I had of making sure no one might see my gun if I bent over. I never had any problems with it, but I definitely prefer IWB carry.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I am with you on this one. I could just never get over the flimsy material covering the trigger.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like it. What's the plan for sweating all through your 43?

I thought of that. When I run and bike, I wear running and bicycle spandex shorts under my gym shorts. They are designed to wick moisture and sweat. So I'm hoping that will solve the sweat problem. I've been anxious to try that theory out.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I am with you on this one. I could just never get over the flimsy material covering the trigger.

Which is why one must choose the platform and/or method very carefully when considering a system such as these. A DA/SA or DAO platform would be the way to go in tehse instances, IMO.

Top Bottom