• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all you wheelgun fans.
    I had previously noticed some forward movement in the crane/yoke when pressure was applied to the back of the open cylinder (like with using a press-to-release speed loader).
    here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ane-cylinder-movement-forward-video-incl.html

Long story short, there is a built in, captured, not-easily removed spring that seems to be giving the springy-ness to the crane movement, the little bump above my thumb in pic #1. Also, notice the wear pattern in pic #3. I think this is what might be allowing for the movement.

EDIT to add: I am referring to the Crane pivot lock plunger and spring (part #s KH06700 & KH07600). These are factory fitted (pressed/captured). I fully realize that it has some "give" built into it, thus the spring. Some movement here is normal, I'm not debating that. BUT IT HAS "HUNG UP" AND GOTTEN STUCK a couple times, and that is not normal. That is where the concern comes from.

Pic #1
    20160226_220338-1_zpsemkyi8hj.jpg

Pic #2

20160226_224852_zpsbr0qr0am.jpg

Pic #3

20160226_224932-1_zpsfgy2qs2m.jpg

Pic #4

20160226_220124-1_zpsoygx6wx9.jpg

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Last question before I let this thread die....

Does that captured spring and dtenet (in pic 1) that locks the whole crane assembly in place -- does that look normal around the hole? The metal seems really rough around that detent. I'll see if I can get a clearer pic later.

after the initial "that's what she said" jokes, any real info would be appreciated

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I own Ruger revolvers. It is the design and has many pluses. The spring pressure ensures constant headspace and cylinder gap. It is a very good design and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I told you about all this in the last thread. It's normal, my 454 SRH has the same movement and I've been through the gun top to bottom, every last pin.

If there wasn't a spring detent there, I don't see how you could rotate up and lock the fire control group into place, without there being a ton of slop in the crane.

The guns are rough because they're cast and roughly machined. They save the nice fit and finish for interfacing surfaces and the outside of the firearm.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That is how they are. Relax, roll with it. I have been buying Ruger revolvers since before the GP line was even introduced. They are a solid, dependable product.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I own Ruger revolvers. It is the design and has many pluses. The spring pressure ensures constant headspace and cylinder gap. It is a very good design and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    I told you about all this in the last thread. It's normal, my 454 SRH has the same movement and I've been through the gun top to bottom, every last pin.
    If there wasn't a spring detent there, I don't see how you could rotate up and lock the fire control group into place, without there being a ton of slop in the crane.
    The guns are rough because they're cast and roughly machined. They save the nice fit and finish for interfacing surfaces and the outside of the firearm.
    That is how they are. Relax, roll with it. I have been buying Ruger revolvers since before the GP line was even introduced. They are a solid, dependable product.

Thanks for the info. I agree that some movement is normal.
    My problem is that it has caused the cylinder to get stuck open on a few occasions and that is not normal. I'll update the OP to reflect this.
    I'm sending it to Ruger to see if that can at least increase the pressure, minimize movement etc.
    I haven't lost sleep over it and Ruger has excellent customer service, so if something can be done, I bet they'll do it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Are you holding the cylinder with your left thumb? I can make mine lock up too if I don't do a finger to thumb reload with any speedloader.

explain.
    I'm a lefty, but I hand the gun over to my RH for reload. I grab a speedloader with my LH, jam it, close cylinder, pass back to LH and rock n' roll.
    I'm open to suggestions for reloading revolvers as a lefty

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Reloading for a righty, the left thumb curves around the cylinder with the tip of the thumb in a groove. The cylinder is now locked from rotating or the fore and aft movement that you have described. With the speedloader in your right hand and the tip of your index finger between two bullets, bring index finger to thumb. This automatically aligns the cartridges with the chambers.

Lefties reach through the opening in the fram with the right thumb to lock it in position. I can't begin to describe it. I should practice it though to be well rounded. But, it seems to me lefties don't have transfer the gun to the left hand. Righties like me have to.

Presently I am in a University parking lot in KY or I would create a quick video for you.o

Last edited:
    Top Bottom