• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I just recently bought a Shield 9mm. Love the M&P line-up, but I am having trouble finding a holster. I like to appendix carry a smaller handgun such as the shield, but the holster selection these days is so vast. I purchased a Galco Stow n go after I had the one for my S&W 642 (38) and loved it for appendix carry. I bought the Galco on Amazon and have not yet received it. I am just trying to get people's opinions on other holsters before I drop a bunch of money. I would like to stay under $50. I know the Crossbreed holsters are great, but I like a holster like that more for a larger framed gun.
    I am not sure how I feel about kydex for IWB, but would like input from people with experience.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do you have any problems with the kydex digging into your skin or does it just sit like a leather/suede holster? I am 6 ft. and 210lbs I am just a little skeptical about a hard plastic being comfortable for everyday carry. I also sit down in my car with my gun in the appendix position.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    So far I have purchased 2 holsters now. I bought a Cozy partner from Desantis also. I have talked to 2 people that have kydex and neither really liked their's for appendix carry. I came here because some of the people on here are more knowledgeable on guns and holsters than the 2 that I know.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Henry Holsters x2

Local people from Battleground. Nice folks.

Usually at the CIG shows. And start at $60 I think. Make them on the spot just for you. Spent way more time than the average with my wife.

It's all good.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I really like my galco stow n go. It was very cost effective, half the price of the kydex ones listed in this thread.

However, I am also looking for an OWB for range trips I do like a lot of the maufacturers style that have been listed so far. I am just looking for an individual this time really. I don't really like to feed the huge companies if I can refrain.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Versa Carry, I have used one on my shield for two years. I have carried it everyday for over a year with zero issues and sometimes forget it is even there. I have bought several IWB holsters Cross breed, Alien gear, DeSantis all three are top notch quality but just too bulky feeling for me.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Great...recommend a stick with a clip and no trigger guard protection for appendix carry...hell for any carry at all. IMO versa carry is a half notch better than Mexican carry with a striker fired gun and no real manual safety.

Kydex for appendix carry is nice because of the little bulk it adds to the gun while staying open for reholstering.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Great...recommend a stick with a clip and no trigger guard protection for appendix carry...hell for any carry at all. IMO versa carry is a half notch better than Mexican carry with a striker fired gun and no real manual safety.

Kydex for appendix carry is nice because of the little bulk it adds to the gun while staying open for reholstering.

My shield has a manual safety but regardless I have never had one issue and or problem with the Versa Carry. Can you advise another type of holster that is any slimmer or less bulky than the Versa Carry? I do not carry it in the appendix position but to each their own. As far as reholstering I'm not talking about a woods walk shooting cans and stuff. If you are going to pull a gun you should be at the point that you can articulate the need for deadly force, at this point Im not worried about reholstering. Im just giving my opinion on what works for me as I am required to carry deep cover everyday, my life and career depends on it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

My brother-in-law, a 20+ year LEO has and wears one of these for his "off duty" carry of his LC9. No belt, either. I can't get him to change his mind or see the downsides of not having a trigger covered.

Of course, he also likes Serpa holsters...

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    A buddy of mine at work had a Dara holster. He let me try it out and I think I have decided that the Shield may a be a little to big for me to carry comfortably in the appendix position. I got the same holster, but for small of back carry with a 15 degree forward cant. Just the waiting game now.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    1000% Stealth Gear... I have three of these for three different pistols. They just came out with an appendix carry as well!

Top Bottom