• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    Just purchased a M&P 9mm shield (No Thumb Safety) from Dunhams in Logansport on Sunday. They had a sale and I was able to get it for $399. Was the only store in my area that had the NTS model available. I am left handed and the manual safety is pointless for us southpaws unless it it offered ambidextrous. I was a little dissappointed to find a small scratch along the left side of the slide upon unboxing it at home. But I guess scratches are eventually inevitable with an EDC firearm.
    I took it to bullseye's indoor range in kokomo this afternoon to break it in. After 150 rounds I was very pleased with it's light recoil and flawless functioning. S&W hit it out of the ballpark with this single stack offering! This little semi auto was very accurate. Shot low to the right quite often but still within a few inches from point of aim. My fault I am sure, not the pistols. Purchased the pachmyre grip sleeve and installed it before taking it to the range. Not too impressed with it's spongy feel. Will be purchasing rubber talon grips asap. Overall, I couldn't be happier!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I was looking for one without the safety also, but I couldn't find one at the last Indy 1500, so I caved and got one with the safety.

I took it to Point Blank later and put 100 rds through it and I liked it right from the start.

I haven't had time to get it back out, but no regrets at all here.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I had the ruger sr9c a few years back and even with its added weight compared to the shield, the ruger had more felt recoil and was "snappier" than this much smaller shield. Way to go S&W!

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    You won't be disappointed....only thing I plan on changing are the sights and modify the grips with talons.....I put the pachmyre grips I bought for the shield on my wife's RIA 206 .38 special and they made a big improvement on the larger plastic grips that came with the pistol...enjoy!

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I didn't like the feel of the 7 round clip..I found a factory 8 round on Ebay for 24.00 Now I have the two 8 round and the seven .
    Just needed a place for my pinky finger.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've had my Shield for about 2 years now and have probably put 1000 rounds or more through it and I've never had an issue. Very nice gun for summer carry :yesway:

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    NDZ Performance also has base pads for the Shield. I like them the best, as they are metal. They can be purchased direct from NDZ or from Amazon.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    NDZ Performance also has base pads for the Shield. I like them the best, as they are metal. They can be purchased direct from NDZ or from Amazon.

I agree. I originally had the ones from Pearce but like the NDZ pad better. Caught a special over the holidays and picked up 2 directly from NDZ.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    You are right, it is a great little gun.
    Good compromise of weight, rounds, decent caliber, overall size, etc.

Next I'm going to get a set of magguts (mag guts) springs that will allow me to load one extra round in either the 7- or 8-shot mags. (making them 8 or 9 rd mags, repsectively).
    9+1 is great firepower for the size of the shield, or go smaller and 8+1 is still awesome.

My only real complaint with the Shield is how incredibly stiff the slide release is - I tend to rack slide with hand anyways - and how difficult it is to seat a full mag on a closed slide -- again, very stiff.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    I agree about how hard it is to seat a full magazine. Hopefully it will ease up over time. Will have to check out the magguts. Saw a YouTube video where a guy cut off 5 layers of the 8 round mag spring and was able to fit 9 in. Said he would repost later video to update on reliability over time. Not sure how good an idea that really is, but interesting.

Baba Looey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on the shield. I haven't bought a new S&W since they caved to Clinton, Gore, and Reno. I have been strongly considering a shield in 40cal. S&W is under different ownership since that previous corporate decision, so maybe it's time to forgive but not forget. The shields are appealing.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I was looking for one without the safety also, but I couldn't find one at the last Indy 1500, so I caved and got one with the safety.

I took it to Point Blank later and put 100 rds through it and I liked it right from the start.

I haven't had time to get it back out, but no regrets at all here.

Big Junk, sending you a pm.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Tony and Kmann, please do a little research on the magguts specifically for the shield. I've got 6 mags that I was going to buy the muggots for (but who doesn't love more capacity, right????), but after doing some research on M&P and S&W forums, it seems as though they've has some quality and or feeding issues based on the design. The way they designed the glock springs for the 43 and 42 apparently are different than how they do the shield springs. I'd hate to hear any fellow ingoers having bad experiences with any products, especially with something they carry.

Top Bottom