• ...and so much more!
  • OneHarryMess

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Central
    Hello folks,
    Im getting ready to purchase my first semiauto handgun! First and foremost, I know NOTHING about them....The only one ive ever shot was a 1911 and I really liked it, however i'm buying a semiauto for more capacity.
    My criteria are as follows
    45acp
    Metal preferred
    10+ rounds
    ability to mount a light

I've done some research online and the Sig p227 seems like it fits my criteria well....But theres so many brands and makes and what not i dont know where to start.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    That's a pretty tall order, with the all metal requirement. The only thing that springs to mind is an EAA Witness, or it's better from which it was cloned, the CZ 97.

If you get rid of that particular requirement, the options open up.

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    That's a pretty tall order, with the all metal requirement. The only thing that springs to mind is an EAA Witness, or it's better from which it was cloned, the CZ 97.

If you get rid of that particular requirement, the options open up.

I was gonna say the CZ 97 as well. In fact, it's the only thing that comes to mind that fulfills those requirements while not being a garbage weapon.

If possible, try renting some polymer guns at the range. Glocks and M&Ps are two obvious choices that fulfill your other requirements and are solid pistols.

Last edited:

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    As stated, with those requirements get the cz 97. Then to perfect an already great gun get it canjunized. If youre looking to see 1 outdoorsman in Greenwood had 1 about a week ago. They're great guns.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Another gun that might fit your needs is the Sarsilmaz K2 in .45. It's a CZ clone and Sars are very well built. I used to own a Sar built Armalite AR 24K, which is pretty much the same gun, but in 9mm. They are built like a tank. Take a look over in the CZickness V thread where Rusty has posted photos of the one he just picked up. The Sars use forged frames and slides, have a 14+1 capacity and weigh as much as a small car. It's a very solid gun, but could be a bit weighty if you are looking to carry it.

Other options, if you are willing to look at the poly guns, are the Sig P320 full size in .45 and the Glock 21. My son just bought the Sig and I'm really impressed with it. The Glock is the all time classic, big, poly .45 and holds 13+1. Both are soft shooters, but then again, you have to get a pretty light gun to make a .45 feel snappy at all.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like the first pistol mentioned by 88e30m50, the SAR K2 45acp gets my vote.

I have a cz 97b and a Witness in 45acp also. They are bone stock and very easy to shoot. I have shot the witness mags in the CZ and theyve worked as wall as the supplied mags, but I have not tried it the other way.

I'm interested in the Sar K2 just because I'm a glutton. I missed out when they were priced super low (300-350 on bud's a couple years ago.), but they still are priced well for what they are.

I've read that Para Ord 14 round mags will work in the SAR but I can't confirm this (yet). Magazine availability and cost are always something I consider when looking for a a weapon. I guess getting hung up on such things has kept me from having really nice things like Sigs, or even a Coonan. But a SAR K2 is definitely in my future.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Several years ago I purchased a SAR K2 .45 at Bradis Guns. I realy liked the quality and feel of the K2 so I purchased it for $500. After I shot it I realy liked it so much I purchased the second one from Grabagun for $355.

cdnnsports.com has the SAR K2 .45 in stock for $370 and Lambosarmory.com has the magazines for $26. Amazon.com has holsters and wood grips for the SAR.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k2-45acp.html

https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=11884

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...eld-keywords=sar+k2+45&sprefix=sar+k2,aps,294

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will add another vote for Sar K2 45. I got mine from CDNN and picked up 6 extra mags from Lanbos Armory. The mags from Lanbos are the factory marked Sar mags. I also bought the last two mags CDNN had which are marked P-14, but have the correct follower to lock open after the last round.

OneHarryMess

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Central
    Thanks guys, really liking the Sars K2.I carry pretty heavy and large firearms as it is which is why I wanted a metal gun and already have plenty of .45 for my camp carbine.
    Just gotta get my brother to make me a nice holster for it! Any suggestions for lights?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Thanks guys, really liking the Sars K2.I carry pretty heavy and large firearms as it is which is why I wanted a metal gun and already have plenty of .45 for my camp carbine.
    Just gotta get my brother to make me a nice holster for it! Any suggestions for lights?

I use a Viridian C5L green laser / light.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    How y'all mounting a light to the CZ97b? I didn't realize they made a railed one.

There are accessory shops offering rails, gunsmithing required, of course. Good catch, as I didn't think about that, and had to go look. I don't like rails all that much and wasn't paying attention.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    If you like the 1911, then go 1911.
    Rail w/10+ rounds

88d9ec179772c07da09ad9f8202e685d.jpg

OneHarryMess

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2016
    Central
    Rant time.....
    I don't believe in backbiting a business, so I'm not going to name the shop but today I had the worst experience of my life! I called several shops around the state this morning looking for a shop that had both a Sig 227 and the Sars K2, and after driving TWO hours one way I encountered the worst customer service ever. 1 clerk was trying to lowball a gentleman on a really nice 1911, the other 2 were busy BSing with a gaggle of window shoppers....Looking in the case I couldn't even find a Sars K2 OR the Sig.....After finding out they didn't even have the guns, I was furious and stormed out....the man with the 1911 wasn't far behind, both fuming about how shady and unprofessional they were. We started talking and we'll I ended up buying the man's 1911, it's a Kimber Tactical Entry II. I feel like I got a really good deal as I paid 800 even for it, while I wanted a higher capacity handgun once I held it I was in love plus I have tons of 1911.mags for my marlin . Just got home now and am going to shoot off a couple hundred rounds through it, I will post up pictures tomorrow when I go into town as my connection at home is so poor.
    did I do good? 800 for the Kimber, hard case and 3 Wilson Combat magazines? Online they sell for 1200+ so I feel I did.
    Thanks for the suggestions guys even if I ended up not going with them LOL and sorry my post is so long but Lord was I angry

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Rant time.....
    I don't believe in backbiting a business, so I'm not going to name the shop but today I had the worst experience of my life! I called several shops around the state this morning looking for a shop that had both a Sig 227 and the Sars K2, and after driving TWO hours one way I encountered the worst customer service ever. 1 clerk was trying to lowball a gentleman on a really nice 1911, the other 2 were busy BSing with a gaggle of window shoppers....Looking in the case I couldn't even find a Sars K2 OR the Sig.....After finding out they didn't even have the guns, I was furious and stormed out....the man with the 1911 wasn't far behind, both fuming about how shady and unprofessional they were. We started talking and we'll I ended up buying the man's 1911, it's a Kimber Tactical Entry II. I feel like I got a really good deal as I paid 800 even for it, while I wanted a higher capacity handgun once I held it I was in love plus I have tons of 1911.mags for my marlin . Just got home now and am going to shoot off a couple hundred rounds through it, I will post up pictures tomorrow when I go into town as my connection at home is so poor.
    did I do good? 800 for the Kimber, hard case and 3 Wilson Combat magazines? Online they sell for 1200+ so I feel I did.
    Thanks for the suggestions guys even if I ended up not going with them LOL and sorry my post is so long but Lord was I angry

Paid $800 for a Kimber with a case and 3 mags? That's the headline! Also, this is the Internet. It was designed for cat videos and bashing bad customer service, particularly at gun stores. I read your post and thought, "Didn't Don Davis die the other day?"

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Rant time.....

I'd say you did pretty well! Well enough to be worth driving a few more hours than you did!

Top Bottom