• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    OK 1911 peeps. I've noticed lately that I'm carrying my fullsize springer loaded a lot more than I used to. My two issues with this gun are it's HEAVY. On our kitchen food scale it's closing in on 3lbs loaded with an 8rd mag. The other is to carry IWB, that is a long barrel to get clear in times of need.

So.... is there a commander length (4") that is appreciably lighter for a decent price (think 5-800 range)? How much lighter is it truly over this hog?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Belt and holster are decent and that's not really my problem at this point. A lighter pistol would be really nice though. that's why in the summer I tend to only carry the Taurus because its over a lb lighter.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    1911s get heavy after a while I love my Champion for that reason. I got mine used and put over 3k since I got it. Round count unknown but absolutely perfect function. I can recommend one from experience. Shorter barrel standard grip

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carried my Colt Wiley Clapp LW Commander yesterday when I was out and about. Barely realized it was there.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Smith $ Wesson e series bobtail with the scandium frame. Nice and light weight for edc. They have sold used in your price range.

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    It's a horrible paradox, go too small and light (LW officer) and they kick like a rented mule (that's the first problem of many). Full sized steel frame shoots like a Cadillac but you need a back pack to carry it.
    I know it's a 1911 abomination but I've got a Dan Wesson guardian, aluminum framed commander in 9mm and flat out love it, the sweetest shooting semi auto center fire I have shot. Fully loaded 9+1 it weighs 2lbs 2oz. The gun, mag and 9-230gr .45's is 2lb 6oz. it's more than your budget but should give you an idea what the wieght is.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    The RUGER Lightweight commander is right up your alley. It is next on my list. Carried a 5 inch 1911 for two years. Been carrying a commander 4.25" for over a year. Perfect length. Now the lightweight commander is about a quarter pound lighter. All for around 600-700

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You have to realize that we have been"pussified" and spoiled? I am an old fart but I used to carry a M14, 1911, full gear, and around 25 mags. I repeat... Spoiled

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    86   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    You have to realize that we have been"pussified" and spoiled? I am an old fart but I used to carry a M14, 1911, full gear, and around 25 mags. I repeat... Spoiled

As an old retired soldier, I have carried a lot of heavy things in my life. I'll have to agree with you on this. The pussification of America (even within the military) has bothered me for years. I encourage people to not worry about the weight of a good weapon. No need to stress over ounces unless you're backpacking through the mountains. I carry my full size S&W 1911 every day. Never weighed it. I like it, so I carry it, end of story.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    OK, to clarify I am not currently actively looking to buy one right now. IF I did something now, it would be trading off my fullsize for a commander. But that is a BIG if.

I do appreciate the PM's with offers, but I'm just exercising a mental thought at this time.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Meh. Get a Glock 19 and be done with it.
    It's under your price so you can get ammo and holster instead of dragging that relic around.

I KIIIID I KIIID !!!

I used to have a Kimber CDP with the short butt and mid-size barrel that carried like a dream. It was the last .45 I got rid of due to hand and wrist injuries.

Bob

Top Bottom