• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I'm pretty new to the world of Sig handguns, but thanks to a member on here putting me into a 226 elite that I love. I thought I'd pick up a p220 so I found one of the German made in two-tone, it's in what I would consider to be in excellent condition. Has the box with 2 regular mags and 1 -10 round mag. It shows no wear that I can see looks to have a low round count. So what would be a good price for this gun any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have a german made/us assembled 220 (at least that's what ive been told, due to the fact that it says made in Germany, but no proof marks) I bought it about a year ago and paid 650 its all blue, like new, with one 8rd and one 10rd promag box and paperwork

tbh I paid a little more than I should have, but its a low round, and I know one of the owners

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Pics would help the evaluation, including the rails with the slide off.
    What some consider as excellent can vary.
    I saw an all blued one at a gun show that was LNIB for $750 awhile back.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    expat is right, frame wear on a sig can be a problem, while one might look new, refinishing it can hide problems, here is a guide to help you

Guide to Sig Sauer pistol inspection - Grayguns by Bruce Gray

fyi bruce gray is a gunsmith and also shoots for team sig,(he smith's team sig guns, and does the trigger jobs on all the legion guns)
    Yeah, I have been seeing some that have had the frames cerakoted. I wouldn't touch one of those. I assume all the anodizing was gone on the frame rails.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Yeah, I have been seeing some that have had the frames cerakoted. I wouldn't touch one of those. I assume all the anodizing was gone on the frame rails.

I found a browning bda9 (sig 220 European) at a store here, the slide was duracoated gray, and the frame was black, they wanted 450 for it(1 mag), I asked if I could take it apart and look at it, the frame rails looked perfect, no gray, no gold, looked like new!....due to the fact that it had been duracoated black!

the browning bda's were blued a beautiful blue, not black like all the other sigs (I own a browning bda 45 made in 1977, still like new with all the finish on the rails)

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    A local IN dealer had some 220R's last year that were department trade-ins. I don't recall the exact price but I think they were $475ish. What the others said above- take a close look a the underside of the rails. Look for worn off anodizing, stay away from ones that have been coated (likely to cover the rails).

shootersix, why would someone duracoat a beautiful bda? (as I weep). But at $450 you can't say no.

:ingo:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    shootersix, why would someone duracoat a beautiful bda? (as I weep). But at $450 you can't say no.

remember the browning bda was only imported from 1977 to 1980 so im sure it was because the rails were dull silver (shot out), that's why I passed it up, if you account for the wood grips that were on it (70-100 bucks from Hogue) and the fact that it only had 1 mag (spare mags are 90 bucks each, it was a 9mm) even at 450, it wasn't really a good deal

mine is a 45 acp, I got it for a steal (in fact I had a leo friend run the numbers to make sure it wasn't stolen)it came with 1 mag, I bought a "mystery mag" at a gunshow for 10 bucks (it was a factory 7 round sig 220 mag) and another factory sig mag from a friend for 20 bucks, and my other 220 came with a 7 round mag so I have 4-7 round mags, and 7 round sig mags are as rare as a unicorn or honest democrat!

so im set, I don't want another bda, in fact the only sigs I want are a 230,225 or a 226 sao legion

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The poster asked me to post pics for him of the P220 in question.

IMG_20160307_192618496_zpstiowzdso.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    EXPAT: I don't see any major issue with those rails...at least not compared to the ones I've seen where the rail has actually been 'thinned' down due to excessive wear!

Personally...I want a P-245...those little Sig's are SWEEEEET!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    EXPAT: I don't see any major issue with those rails...at least not compared to the ones I've seen where the rail has actually been 'thinned' down due to excessive wear!

Remember, not mine. Just posted them for the OP who emailed them to me as he couldn't figure out how to post them.
    I agree the rails look pretty good. Been nice to see the top side. The only thing that I am not sure about but does the side of the frame below the rails almost look touched up?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    not sure what the op paid, but it looks good to me!, im curious as to that he paid for it?, it looks like mine, a german made, American assembled 220(I don't see the proof marks)
    Im also curious about the lube/grease job, was it the previous owner, or new owner, cause to me it looks like someone knows about grease vs oil on sig frame rails (as per bruce gray) if it was the previous owner, it looks like he know how to take care of a sig, and the new owner added a great weapon to his collection

this has got me thinking....been a long time since I carried my 220.....might have to get her out this weekend!, normally I carry my m11(229) or my p320

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

Same here. Those rails look nice from the pics.

Agree with shootersix, it makes be want to get out the 220R this weekend too.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks Expat I appreciate your help with the pictures, glad to hear the rails look good. So any idea of the value. Thanks again to everyone for the help and info. At least now I know what to look for when buying a Sig.

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    I just want to say that I have German two tone P220 in 100% condition that was gifted to me from my father and due to sentimental value I wouldn't sell if for all the gold in Fort Knox but otherwise I've seen them at gun shows for around $700.

Top Bottom