PGM and a few 1911 Officer model samples!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hey INGO, before I get into the post, I want to say three things:
    1. I am not associated with this shop at all
    2. I do not own these pistols
    3. I am helping a friend out with these, just showing off some of his work getting thoughts from other 1911 fans!

So, in saying that, I have a friend who makes some very nice slides, frames, etc... He supplies parts to some of the best 1911 builders out there (a few of which are known well members here), and he is really wrapped up getting his own business started-- in terms of building 1911's etc...

I stopped by Andy Mecklers (PGM - Precision Grinding And Machine) shop today and although we share many mutual friends and have talked many times online, today was the first time I got to walk through his shop and really talk with him in person. Andy is a solid guy who is putting out some very cool, innovative, and fresh parts for the 1911 industry. The issue... Not a lot of folks that I know of have heard the name etc...

After about 45 mins of looking around the shop, talking about some new projects, and some conversation around future business opportunities, he has he showed me some very cool stuff... Slides, frames, sight sets, grips, parts, etc...!

We started chatting about what he is currently selling, and the lane in which he will likely be "playing in"... An awesome conversation for sure. It was a rare opportunity to give feedback from the enthusiasts (this forum) that I have read and heard over the last few years of hanging out... I think the feedback was well received!!

My thoughts and feedback were, if he could build a semi-custom style pistol with quality--no MIM parts, that looked innovative, I thought he would be on the right track! The only one in that lane right now is DW. So a higher quality product at a slightly lower to DW would be awesome... It could tackle the newer 1911 fan looking to get a super quality 1911, yet still appeal to a enthusiast who might now be able to drop a ton of money on a huge name... really a pistol to give them their "fix"!

We spoke about quality parts that will attract the top dogs in terms of builders (kind of like EGW), and what that looks like! A very solid few hours!

I wanted to share some pictures of a few officers 1911's that were finished... These were the first few 1911's that he put together using his slides and frames as well as some of PGM parts. He did use some other parts as well, but the key was no MIM, innovative look, at a very affordable rate!

Here are some parts specs on the pistols:
    PGM slide
    PGM 7075 aluminum frame
    PGM 2 piece recoil
    PGM MSH
    Caspian SS ejector
    Caspian SS strut
    Nowlin ramped officers bull barrel
    Nowlin SS plunger tube
    Wilson combat slide release
    STI Sear
    STI Nylon Trigger
    STI Square Hammer
    STI Grip Safety
    Wolf Springs
    ZERO MIM parts
    PGM sights on the rosewood carry version
    Novak carry sights on black grip version

-I do not have a list of all work done on me right now-

I hope you guys enjoy the pictures!

Pistol #1

Pistol #2

Both Pistols!

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Looking for thoughts from the forum, what is a fair price on these? I know where he is, I would like to see if the asking price is in line with others thoughts.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Being an owner of a DW CCO, what these would reasonably compete with, I would say I would give around $1000. Possibly $1100 if I got a chance to shoot one and it really felt great. I picked up my DW CCO for just under $1300, including shipping and FFL. If the price is too close to a DW, I think most people would just go with that choice. Best thing they can do is what they're doing, get the word out. What better place than INGO? Hope his pricing works out and these sell like hotcakes! :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have avoided even looking in this thread because I knew what would happen............................I want one of those in 5" please.....:)

In response to WT....I think this work outshines the DW by a mile. Now, will it run like one...???

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    :twocents: Those look nice! 1911 with non-mim and front grip work, $1400. Not sure how they would sell at that price.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Being an owner of a DW CCO, what these would reasonably compete with, I would say I would give around $1000. Possibly $1100 if I got a chance to shoot one and it really felt great. I picked up my DW CCO for just under $1300, including shipping and FFL. If the price is too close to a DW, I think most people would just go with that choice. Best thing they can do is what they're doing, get the word out. What better place than INGO? Hope his pricing works out and these sell like hotcakes! :yesway:

Yeah, I figured a few forums would be nice to show off these off! IMO these are $1700 pistols... I know thats not what they will sell for:) Andy will probably hit the market with these at the $1250 price:)

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I have avoided even looking in this thread because I knew what would happen............................I want one of those in 5" please.....:)

In response to WT....I think this work outshines the DW by a mile. Now, will it run like one...???

Church, I agree... There is a lot of work and bench time here. Fitting, milling, etc... The barrel lock up is as tight as any of my semi-custom 1911's:) No mim, coned barrel, with some unique touches... They are sweet.

I have had a chance to run one of the first pistols and have to say... even though I didnt get a chance to shoot a ton of rounds... I did shoot 250 or so and not a single hiccup!

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Church, I agree... There is a lot of work and bench time here. Fitting, milling, etc... The barrel lock up is as tight as any of my semi-custom 1911's:) No mim, coned barrel, with some unique touches... They are sweet.

I have had a chance to run on of the first pistols and have to say... even though I didnt get a chance to shoot a ton of rounds... I did shoot 250 or so and not a single hiccup!

Interesting.
    I really am hating you right now you know that right.....:)

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Interesting.
    I really am hating you right now you know that right.....:)

Lol... yeah, I know! Its a good thing man... at least its not a 6K pistol (like a lot of the 1911's I post). They are top draw 1911's (and I am a pretty harsh judge), and the majority of people can afford one.

Ghost Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Central
    Although I am not fond of the Officer model, I do appreciate fine craftsmanship that went into those two.

Knock off a few of the edges and maybe add a retro beavertail and I would probably change my mind.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Lol... yeah, I know! Its a good thing man... at least its not a 6K pistol (like a lot of the 1911's I post). They are top draw 1911's (and I am a pretty harsh judge), and the majority of people can afford one.

Mojority of people can afford one? More details please....?
    How about a commander or 5"?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    - Shred

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Mojority of people can afford one? More details please....?
    How about a commander or 5"?

Please and thank you
    God bless
    - Shred

Shred... with these guys just getting started, I do not have a ton of details in terms of other models right now. I do know there is a run of 5" pistols coming very soon and will be glad to update this thread with more pics etc... Stay tuned!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They look pretty good. I hate the STI beavertails and triggers so would never buy one for that reason but others may like it. I don't like the angled frame and slide, keep it traditional you don't have to be different just to be different. The entire pistol needs a dehorn, front of frame, all around the slide and the ejection port, until that's done it won't compare to DW (even SPFD does some dehorning) if that is the target.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    They look pretty good. I hate the STI beavertails and triggers so would never buy one for that reason but others may like it. I don't like the angled frame and slide, keep it traditional you don't have to be different just to be different. The entire pistol needs a dehorn, front of frame, all around the slide and the ejection port, until that's done it won't compare to DW (even SPFD does some dehorning) if that is the target.

Solid feedback... Only disagreement is that these pistols are better fit and have more refinement than even a DW... That's just my option... And trust me, go back through my old posts, you will not see a bigger fan of DW 1911.s for what they are.

I do agree, about the Sti grip safety and trigger... There were reasons they were used though. Moving forward those are being replaced by PGM in house parts... The Sti triggers have a few additional adjustments that can be made vs others and the grip safety rides very high... A lot higher than almost all others on the market... For functional purposes those were used.

Dehorn etc... These pistols are very soft... Pics are a little deceiving, to keep the look of the frame and slide they can not be dehorn to much more... I've played with them and not many places for snagging... Sure you can round everything, but I personally like clean lines!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is that only because they you know the name or you think as you see it, the DW is a better pistol?

If the pics are doing any justice too the work I might be leaning towards these offerings over the DW "But"...............(always a "But")...........I need to fondle and abuse one before that decision can be set in ink.

Top Bottom