• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    How does lightening the slide reduce recoil? I thought force equals mass times velocity. Wouldn't decreasing the mass of the slide increase it's velocity for a given loading? I would think increased velocity would create more felt recoil, or is that where my thinking is incorrect? :dunno:

As to beauty, it's certainly in the eye of the beholder. :puke:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    How does lightening the slide reduce recoil? I thought force equals mass times velocity. Wouldn't decreasing the mass of the slide increase it's velocity for a given loading? I would think increased velocity would create more felt recoil, or is that where my thinking is incorrect? :dunno:

I guess it depends on the weight of the recoil springs as well, but yes you are correct.
    There are a lot of factors and only scientific testing could tell us for sure.
    A lot depends on the person holding the gun as well.
    9mm is very manageable already. A lighter slide combined with the necessary springs could make for an effective combination to minimize felt recoil and muzzle flip.

To me, it looks like another custom shop that sells by looks and promises performance, but only shooting and testing can say for certain.
    Most people who buy something like this do it for looks IMHO.

You don't need all that to shoot well.
    Get a good gun and go shooting every weekend for the next year or two and you will get good at it.
    Just takes time, ammo, and money.

Jim McKalip

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Small correction.

I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but force equals mass times acceration. Not my idea, Isaac Newton's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess it depends on the weight of the recoil springs as well, but yes you are correct.
    There are a lot of factors and only scientific testing could tell us for sure.
    A lot depends on the person holding the gun as well.
    9mm is very manageable already. A lighter slide combined with the necessary springs could make for an effective combination to minimize felt recoil and muzzle flip.

To me, it looks like another custom shop that sells by looks and promises performance, but only shooting and testing can say for certain.
    Most people who buy something like this do it for looks IMHO.

You don't need all that to shoot well.
    Get a good gun and go shooting every weekend for the next year or two and you will get good at it.
    Just takes time, ammo, and money.

It does work.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, but force equals mass times acceration. Not my idea, Isaac Newton's.
    Yeah I stand corrected. Haven't messed with physics in a few years. Never cared for it.

PGRChaplain's response makes sense to me.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I might suggest shooting a vintage Browning A5 12 gauge vs any other semi auto. The weight of whats moving makesa difference in felt recoil.

I have also shot a 10mm AllenM built with the hybrid barrel/slide. The hot loads he had felt like standard .40.

Top Bottom