• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DriverAndrew

Marksman
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jul 10, 2015
    Columbus
    So as a teenager in the 80s I owned an Iver Johnson .22 (Walther PPK clone). It had an interesting takedown method: You pulled down on the bottom of the trigger guard, which allowed the slide to release forward and off the gun.
    I will never forget the day I pulled the trigger and watched the slide follow the bullet right off the gun... I must have pulled down on the trigger guard while firing. Double jeopardy for the target in front of me.
    It was a unique moment of clarity, and I unloaded that gun right away. :)
    Anyone else own one of those?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Never owned or shot one of those, but I did have a similar experience with a Remington over/under derringer in .41 short rimfire. While shooting, the hinge broke and the set of barrels flew downrange about 15 or 20 feet. I had seen a lot of these guns with broken hinges over the years and just figured they were broken from people doing stupid stuff with them (like flipping them open, sort of how people in the movies stupidly flick revolvers open and closed). Anyway, this happened when I was in my early 20s and I have since learned that even though people do use these original guns in cowboy action side matches, they can still break just from normal firing. I wasn't hurt at all during the incident, didn't even get sprayed with gas or particles. I wasn't even confused, since I knew almost instantly what had happened, just sad and annoyed at the loss. I recovered the set of barrels and had the gun repaired a few months later, but I haven't shot it since. Believe it or not, before it broke, the top barrel actually shot to point of aim out to about 30 yards, but at that distance the bottom barrel was always 3 or 4 feet left and a foot or two low. I enjoyed my time shooting that neat old gun and wish it hadn't broke.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have an Iver Johnson TPH and will remind all you must remove the magazine before disassembly. The cheap metal trigger guard can snap if you don't. That is why mine now is a two tone with a chrome trigger guard. :rolleyes:

On a similar note, a couple years ago my girlfriend was shooting my (her) Beretta 3032 Tomcat and hit the lever to tip up the barrel as she fired. The slide popped half off and everything jammed up.

Top Bottom