• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So I'm looking into trying out either uspsa or idpa this summer. And my G19 seems to be a little small for the task.

ive read a lot on the two and most people seem to say it's only a slight edge to the G34. For me the price difference between the two is 85$ so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra for the G34 or get the G17 and upgraded sights?

thanks to all!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1st, come shoot with your 19 and make sure production/sap is the division you want to shoot.
    get a couple matches under your belt, then spend $ if you think you need to. A 19 won't honestly hold you back any. I have a 34 and 35, but I would probably just go w. A 17 and 22 if doing it again. The only real advantage from the longer guns is a couple free power factor...

-rvb

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The 19 will serve you fine till you get hooked on shooting sports....which I'm sure will be after the 1st one. I just started about 3 months ago. Since i had a abundance of Glock firearms and mags I bought the 17 and competed with that.....till I put a M&P Pro in my hands. I am using that now.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Me shooting a 19 in a state match.
    Biggest difference from a 19 to a full size is the grip length. Since the bottom of the grip sits more in my hand, mags don't always want to drop free. I used full size mags to avoid getting pinched.

-rvb

[video=youtube;K9N34qCiFDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9N34qCiFDI[/video]

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    While the Glock 19 would be suitable for IPSC/IDPA, If you get into either (and you will) you WILL want to upgrade to a G34. I guarantee it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    While the Glock 19 would be suitable for IPSC/IDPA, If you get into either (and you will) you WILL want to upgrade to a G34. I guarantee it.

For USPSA production, most folks are upgrading to a cz or clone. And there are a lot of divisions where a34 isn't competitive like limited, where he may want a 35 or an STI. That's why I suggest he try with what he has. Then decide how to spend his $. He may never shoot a glock again haha.

-rvb

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For USPSA production, most folks are upgrading to a cz or clone. And there are a lot of divisions where a34 isn't competitive like limited, where he may want a 35 or an STI. That's why I suggest he try with what he has. Then decide how to spend his $. He may never shoot a glock again haha.

-rvb

Personally I like CZ's and steel frame guns and even DA guns better (grew up on Revolvers, Beretta M9's and Sigs what can I say) but like gun owners have a box full of different holsters for each gun. IPSC shooters migrate to several different guns and usually a couple different guns for each division unless there is Intervention LOL. Baby steps, baby steps!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Lots of options, too many really. Warren/sevigny, taran, Dawson, the new vogels, etc etc. it's a little personal taste. Another advantage of going to matches is you can ask folks to see what they are using to help you decide. I've used warren/sevigny on a couple guns and have been mostly happy except I think the rear notch is a little wide so I have a set of tarans ready to install on my 35 limited gun.

-rvb

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Personally, the G34 offers an incredible sight picture because of the extra length between front and rear. But for my money and I think others have mentioned this but I would use your 19 until you are certain it's worth investing in a new firearm.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As stated, use your G19 as it'll do fine. The sights I had when I was shooting IDPA were the Trijicon HD's with the yellow front sight. Great for fast pickup of the front sight. Once you start getting better, you may or may not want to go G34. I prefer to compete with something closer to what I carry, so the G19 is a good choice for most.

Top Bottom