• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I really like my revolvers. I have 3 Rugers and 3 Taurus revolvers. I have been wanting a S&W to carry. It would be IWB. So many like the 642, but I doubt I would pocket carry, and when I'm target shooting, I really enjoy SA shooting. Any thoughts or experience with the 637?

Last edited:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Had one briefly. Told myself I could deal with the hammer and pocket carry. I was wrong.

if you're not going to pocket carry, it's as nice as any airweight j frame for carry.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    The 638 will give you the best of both worlds shrouded hammer that you can still manipulate for single action, put a big set of target grips on mine, just to see what it would do a longer ranges, very accurate at 25 yards.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    The 638 will give you the best of both worlds shrouded hammer that you can still manipulate for single action, put a big set of target grips on mine, just to see what it would do a longer ranges, very accurate at 25 yards.

I concur. The only problem possibly being with the 638 is holster availability if you're looking for a thumb break.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    A friend of mine has pocket carried a 637 for a couple of years now. Loves the gun. Only down side is that the finish on it is starting to discolor, possibly from sweat? Might want to talk to someone at S&W to find out if this is a common problem with pocket carrying this pistol. Otherwise, he loves it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    A friend of mine has pocket carried a 637 for a couple of years now. Loves the gun. Only down side is that the finish on it is starting to discolor, possibly from sweat? Might want to talk to someone at S&W to find out if this is a common problem with pocket carrying this pistol. Otherwise, he loves it.

This seems to be very common with all the air weight S&W revolvers. The frame is aluminum. Some have sent them back, and they are returned like new. Not sure if it happens again after being sent back. Everyone that has mentioned this problem states it does not effect function. I really like the looks of the 442, but again, I like the SA function when I want to shoot it SA.

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County

I've pocket carried my 642 for less than a week and it already has imperfections on the finish. White streaks, I'm assuming it's from my sweat. I've since got a pocket holster and have not noticed any continuation of the problem. It has not been hot though but I sweat a lot, can only imagine what it will look like at the end of the summer.

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    I have a 638 and I love it but I do pocket carry. It is harder than I thought it would be to cock the hammer for single action shooting and I don't practice that was for self defense shooting. In other words during a stressful self defense situation with tunnel vision and impaired motor skills I wouldn't count on cocking the 638's hammer but for range shooing it is convenient that I can shoot single action.

Top Bottom