Thoughts on red dot optics for handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Been spending some time researching mini red dot optics on handguns. Been hit or miss with online articles and comparisons.

What are INGO members opinions on using these optics on handguns? I am not necessarily asking which brand/version of optic, but rather their efficacy in general?

I am specifically looking at the Glock 17 or 19 MOS. I already have a 19. Is it worth it to "upgrade" to the new MOS versions and adding a sight? I understand that "worth it" is subjective. I am more concerned with additional performance and less with cost.

Just looking for some advice, opinions, feedback on the use of these sights in home defense, range fun type instances.

Thanks all!:yesway:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Personally, I can pick up a good set of sights quicker than a red dot on a handgun. On the other hand I know several people who use red dots on there handguns and they swear by them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How much did you guys practice with the red dots? Longer acquisition times could just be lack of familiarity.

I only shot one a couple of times, so I don't have an educated opinion yet.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I have a red dot on a target pistol. It's fun. For carry, I still prefer standard sights. That's just my preference as I'm quicker getting first shot on target with standard. If I'm looking to put 10 through the same hole, I'll use my red dot.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    How much did you guys practice with the red dots? Longer acquisition times could just be lack of familiarity.

I only shot one a couple of times, so I don't have an educated opinion yet.

I'll guess about a thousand rounds. Maybe a month or so. I wasn't exactly a Glock fan back then.
    I'm a front sight shooter and I am used to the "nose acquisition" on all my guns.
    You're thinking right that familiarity breeds speed.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Been spending some time researching mini red dot optics on handguns. Been hit or miss with online articles and comparisons.

What are INGO members opinions on using these optics on handguns? I am not necessarily asking which brand/version of optic, but rather their efficacy in general?

I am specifically looking at the Glock 17 or 19 MOS. I already have a 19. Is it worth it to "upgrade" to the new MOS versions and adding a sight? I understand that "worth it" is subjective. I am more concerned with additional performance and less with cost.

Just looking for some advice, opinions, feedback on the use of these sights in home defense, range fun type instances.

I have one on my fun gun and I considered one for my ccw but decided against, I'm faster picking up my target with irons.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I"m still getting used to it on my 17 but find if I concentrate on finding the front sight the reddot will be right there and easier for me to focus on. I have used several different models and don't really see the benefit of the high dollar ones. (trijicon is what I have experience with in that arena) Either the Burris Fastfire III or the Vortex venom seems make acquisition a bit quicker for me than the RMR. I still don't acquire as quick as a laser but it's close enough at this point that I've been carrying it on and off.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I"m still getting used to it on my 17 but find if I concentrate on finding the front sight the reddot will be right there and easier for me to focus on. I have used several different models and don't really see the benefit of the high dollar ones. (trijicon is what I have experience with in that arena) Either the Burris Fastfire III or the Vortex venom seems make acquisition a bit quicker for me than the RMR. I still don't acquire as quick as a laser but it's close enough at this point that I've been carrying it on and off.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

The Burris Fastfire III and Vortex Venom were the ones I was considering. The Triji RMR seemed a bit expensive to me.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I know its a little late but at midnight dvors sale on Burris will be over. They have Burris FastFire III 3 and 6moa starting at $210; and Burris FastFire II 4moa starting at $180

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have a red dot on a target pistol. It's fun. For carry, I still prefer standard sights. That's just my preference as I'm quicker getting first shot on target with standard. If I'm looking to put 10 through the same hole, I'll use my red dot.

I always shot action pistol with a red dot, both on revolvers and later on a 1911. When shooting the plate event you start at 10 yards, with 6 plates and a 6 second time limit starting holstered with hands at shoulder level. If you shoot the 48 round course clean you start over with a one second reduction in the time limit. When I was practicing on a regular basis I had no problems doing the 6 plate run in 4 seconds.

Speed with a red dot is just a matter of practice, I know I was faster with a dot than I was with iron sights as a general rule.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It's interesting to hear that many people feel faster with irons.

On carbines, it seems to be the exact opposite-- that red dots are much quicker. Interesting

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It all comes down to what you spend time practicing with. I can shoot both about equally well but I have practiced a good bit with both. Any carbine/rifle equipped with a peep sight is also very fast for me, my rifles with just one exception have either peeps or optics.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I like my RMR on my M&P.

e686d12c-e233-4026-ba39-bbc60c65c31c_zps05b41f94.jpg

bobby knight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Monticello
    I traded for a Burris Fastfire 2 last night and installed it on my S&W 22 Victory today. It's by far the best red dot I've owned. At 59 years old it's much easier to acquire the target.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield

I don't remember the brand but I've seen red dot sight adapters that fit into the dovetail sight slot in the rear of the slide. While it wouldn't be my first choice for a carry gun it could be a good way to try it before you go buy a new MOS gun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I have been carrying a G19 with RMR for about 6 years now. I have had and taught classes specifically dealing with red dots. I have tens of thousands of rounds and many classes through that gun. I am not trying to make it about me, just want you to know I have a basis for my opinions on the matter.

If you want to use it for serious purposes, EDC or home defense I would only consider a Trijicon RMR. Their combination of always on battery life and durability would be my only choice for this role currently. There is rumor that Aimpoint is developing a RMR killer, but I have not seen that yet. If you are only going to use it for play, there are many options including using a dovetail mount as mentioned above.

As far as efficacy of the platform goes, it varies. The MRDS handgun typically excels in some areas and falls short in others. Most people will shoot more accurately at least at medium and long ranges with a dot equipped gun. Personally, at ranges of say, 10-25 yards, I am more accurate and faster with a dot gun. It has been observed that a slide mounted red dot gun will slow down a very good shooter at close ranges. Some will argue this point, but I have seen it many times. For myself and a lot of others the red dot gun suffers most in circumstances where a solid index is not achieved. This could be one handed shooting, especially support hand, or in my case very much with shooting on the move. There are ways around this, such as using the sights or alternative indexes.

The MRDS on pistols are not a fad I don't think, but still have room for improvement.

Last edited:

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I have been carrying a G19 with RMR for about 6 years now. I have had and taught classes specifically dealing with red dots. I have tens of thousands of rounds and many classes through that gun. I am not trying to make it about me, just want you to know I have a basis for my opinions on the matter.

If you want to use it for serious purposes, EDC or home defense I would only consider a Trijicon RMR. Their combination of always on battery life and durability would be my only choice for this role currently. Their is rumor that Aimpoint is developing a RMR killer, but I have not seen that yet. If you are only going to use it for play, there are many options including using a dovetail mount as mentioned above.

As far as efficacy of the platform goes, it varies. The MRDS handgun typically excels in some areas and falls short in others. Most people will shot more accurately at least at medium and long ranges with a dot equipped gun. Personally, at ranges of say, 10-25 yards, I am more accurate and faster with a dot gun. It has been observed that a slide mounted red dot gun will slow down a very good shooter at close ranges. Some will argue this point, but I have seen it many times. For myself and a lot of others the red dot gun suffers most in circumstances where a solid index is not achieved. This could be one handed shooting, especially support hand, or in my case very much with shooting on the move. There are ways around this, such as using the sights or alternative indexes.

The MRDS on pistols are not a fad I don't think, but still have room for improvement.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I was initially thinking Burris FastFire III - but your strong recommendation on the Trijicon RMR makes me think that might be the play.

dman424

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    The new Glock MOS pistols are awesome. They require no machining and are ready for an RMR or a Burris. Has anybody else had trouble finding tall enough suppressor sights to see over the optic?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The new Glock MOS pistols are awesome. They require no machining and are ready for an RMR or a Burris. Has anybody else had trouble finding tall enough suppressor sights to see over the optic?

With optics that are mounted using a milled receiver it is no problem finding proper sights. Not so sure when using mounting plates/adapters.

Top Bottom