• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    Took out my 19/23 and 26 to the range this past weekend, and noticed that every other magazine in either gun the magpuls would fail to lock the slide back on the last round. Has anyone else had this problem? I was really hoping these would be 100% reliable and use them for carry but seems like they'll be strictly for the range and practice as of now

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I've never had a problem with them in my 17 Gen 4. Feeds properly and locks back every time.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I use the Magpul's in my G22 with a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel and I've never had them not lock back. Are you sure you're not riding the slide release with your thumb while shooting? I only ask because I have a buddy who had that problem. He always wondered why his slide didn't lock back so we video taped him shooting and noticed he rode the release the entire time.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Took out my 19/23 and 26 to the range this past weekend, and noticed that every other magazine in either gun the magpuls would fail to lock the slide back on the last round. Has anyone else had this problem? I was really hoping these would be 100% reliable and use them for carry but seems like they'll be strictly for the range and practice as of now

Were you shooting the G17 or longer length mags?

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Did you buy them when they were first introduced, or after the replacement? The reason for the replacement was issues using them in pistols other than the 17.

Edited to add;

If you're using them without something like an A&G grip extender, you will have problems.

Last edited:

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    I had 3 early on that didn't work in my g19. I bought 3 more 2 months ago which didn't work in any of my glocks(failure to feed). Sent them back (shipping on my dime) replacements work fine but I won't be buying anymore.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I have found that brand new, they have a tendency to misfeed one round, usually the 2nd round in the mag. It does stop after a few mags.

I also tried loading the last batch I got and leaving them loaded for a few days to a week before I shot them. It did eliminate the 2nd round misfeed.

I'm using them for practice and the odd steel match.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why limit yourself to only one brand/type? How are the Glock brand better then the Magpul's?

Oh, I don't know. It's not like original equipment Glock mags have a reputation for reliability, or are, you know, designed by the engineers that designed the gun.

The better question is, why carry with anything except factory mags? I understand the aftermarket mags are a little cheaper, and great for range work or maybe storage for the coming zombie apocalypse. But is the difference really worth it for a tool meant to defend your life? If I ever have to draw my pistol, the last thing in my mind is going to be how I saved $12 on a magazine.

I'm not asking why people buy them. I'm asking why you would carry with them. The OP mentioned that he was hoping to carry his Glock with them. Why? The pistol comes with 3 factory mags.

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    I don't think I am riding my thumb up that high but I will tape next time I shoot and look. I planned to carry one of them as a spare mag when I carry my 26. I run them occasionally on the range in the 23 with a conversion barrel but only carry oe glock mags. I do also plan to pick up more oe mags along with some ets. I just got them recently so I don't think they are the first release of the magpuls that were having problems.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not locking the slide back is not a failure of the magazine, most generally. Most of the time it's improper grip, but even that said, a proper TRB will solve all of that. Quit depending on what you expect, and overcome everything that happens?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not locking the slide back is not a failure of the magazine, most generally. Most of the time it's improper grip, but even that said, a proper TRB will solve all of that. Quit depending on what you expect, and overcome everything that happens?

I enjoy your mindset aspect, but if a gun runs without malfunctions with factory mags, but then has problems with aftermarket mags, I think it is reasonable to suspect the magazine is the problem. I also think it is reasonable to expect the gun to run 100% (it's not a 1911 after all). That being said, I have 8 or 10 of the Magpul mags and so far they have been flawless.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Run them in my Sub2000 carbine. In fact, KelTec supplies the carbine with a Magpul mag. Have picked up a couple more along with some factory Glock mags for the carbine. All work flawlessly. Now I need to pick up a Glock 17 pistol to go with it.

Top Bottom