• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I have searched some of the older threads on this gun but was wondering if anyone has any new feedback love/hate for it. Looking at this for just some fun shooting and not as a carry pistol. Possibly my first gun to put a light on.

How is the grip for shorter fingers?

Read on FN's forum about some issues with mag not releasing after mag release pressed??

Any feedback appriciated.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I had one for a few months. Loved the gun, very nice trigger and not much recoiled due to its weight.....but....the grip was just to large for my normal sized hands. Even with the smallest backstrap on it felt as if I couldn't get a full grip on it. Ended up trading it for something else.

The he day I run across a fns 9....I'm going to buy it on the spot.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have medium size hands. The grip runs a little big for me, too. It's about between a non-SF Glock 21 and a SF in terms of girth, imo. I can handle the SF or a Gen 4, but non-SFs gen 3 and earlier are too big for me.

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I have small hands and with the narrowest backstrap it doesn't fit too bad. It is still a large bulky gun and is more suited to carrying open in a duty type holster. As someone said, it has a decent trigger and is very manageable. 16 rounfs of .45 acp is a comforting feeling and double strike capability, while not necessary is nice as well. The only thing i don't like about mine is that without the mag in it, you can squeeze and distort the grip. It just makes it seem cheap even though they are fairly spendy. The white dot on the front sight popped out on my very first shot also. Some white fingernail polish and it was fixed but that just irked me a little.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I keep it because I like using the zipper bag that it came with. Great for carrying the iPad along with a few other items.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I ended up getting the green light for a toy that I've been eyeing. I have a very special Wife by the way:yesway::yesway:

I wanted the .45 pretty bad but the 9mm felt much better in the hand. The grip on the .45 is a little wider and just doesn't seat good in my hand. So I went ahead with the FX-9.

This is my first DA/SA handgun and I got to break it in today. Put 200+ rounds through it without any hitches. The DA is really tough and makes my Kahr trigger seem like a piece of cake. I could not keep steady while breaking the trigger over on this gun. But when in SA, WOW!, its a lot of fun and easy to shoot.

Need to add some type of grip to it, as it feels a little rough in the hands. Other than that it feels like a soild shooter.

I would like some advice on making the trigger better for plinking. What should I look for in an aftermarket kit?

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    i have the 45 T with a trl-r green laser and love it. the trl is on it at home. I carry it daily in an aliengear holster. have a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. its a tac driver. as for mags dropping free i have had no issues

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Have had one here for two or three years now. It is a nice shooter, the recoil impulse softer than expected, and the backstrap that comes installed from the factory fits my ape hands very nicely. The double action trigger is a little heavy for me, but it is still manageable. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy another one.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I shoot most of my revolvers in double action, so the trigger weight is not as much of a big deal that it used to be. For some strange reason while shooting third generation smiths such as the 5906 and 4506 I shoot better when the gun is in double action than I do in single, maybe I am weird

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I got to shoot a friends this past weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. I have a bunch of Sig's and Kahr's the DA pull of the FNX is stout but it is not bad. I was able to get decent groups out of the DA pull but the SA pull was amazing and my groups were inside 1" holes out to about 15 yards. The FNX tactical will be my next purchase and I am not a 45 guy

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    It is a bulky gun and there are more ergonomic pistols that get rave reviews like the PPQ 45 that you should look at before you jump on the FNX-45.

Hickok45 reviews the PPQ45

Ah! I suppose I should have read the entire thread. You already purchased the FN. Please disregard my sage advise above...

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I have a bunch of Sig's and Kahr's the DA pull of the FNX is stout but it is not bad.

Not sure what you think but the Kahr really does have a smooth trigger pull.

I wish the .45 would have felt better in the hand because I could have a lot of fun with mags filled with 15 rounds!!

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I have the FNX 40 and the FNS 9 ..the 40 is a bit bulky...But I feel it is a great shooting gun.
    I did change the back strap on the 40 to the softer grip.
    The 9 has the more aggressive grip ..I don't carry either gun because of size..But they are both great to shoot.
    My carry is the 9 Shield..Another fun shooting handgun.
    I would love to get the FNS 9 compact next...Just waiting on a price drop...lol

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Not sure what you think but the Kahr really does have a smooth trigger pull.

I wish the .45 would have felt better in the hand because I could have a lot of fun with mags filled with 15 rounds!!

I agree. I do enjoy the Kahr triggers for what they are. I really like the SRT triggers on the Sig's that I own.

It is a bulky gun and there are more ergonomic pistols that get rave reviews like the PPQ 45 that you should look at before you jump on the FNX-45.

Hickok45 reviews the PPQ45

Ah! I suppose I should have read the entire thread. You already purchased the FN. Please disregard my sage advise above...

The PPQ has two down sides for me. No threaded barrel, as I will add a suppressor to it and just a couple of less rounds. Otherwise, I would probably be looking at the PPQ as well.

Last edited:

rransford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    Elwood
    I absolutely love my FNX-45. I do have smaller hands. So it doesn't quite fit my hands perfectly. But for me, it feels great in my hand. DA is not heavy like many DA/SA guns. Smooth pull and crisp break. SA has a little play, but again, real nice. Love the fact that it has a decocker. I have yet to experience any FTF, FTE, or any other malfunctions with this gun. One of the best purchases I've made. Not much of a carry gun by any means, but would be a perfect candidate for home defense, open carry, or just playing around at the range. Don't know how you can beat 15 rounds of 45 ACP.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The DA trigger seems exteamly heavy and hard to muscle through the shot. Maybe I just need more time with it.

Did not take long to burn through 200 rounds of ammo though.

Keep working the trigger. Mine was stiff as a rock when I got it, after a few hundred rounds and who knows how much dry-fire it softens up a bit. At the same time, you'll build up the muscles.

Yes, mag drop-free can be an issue, basically the grip is rather thin-walled to fit that much ammo without requiring sasquatch hands so if you have a crushing grip it distorts and holds the mag.

As to the original (now moot) question: My 5-5 100lb wife shot my FNX45T and while the grip size wasn't to her preference but it wasn't too bad. Her biggest grief was the grip texturing. that texture is aggressive!.

whitemamba91

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2017
    South Bend
    i've had one for about two years now and absolutely love it. i have smaller hands but am still able to get a firm grip with the aggressiveness of the texturing. put a tlr-1hl on it and it really balances well now. only gripe i have is what others have said. mag-well walls are very thin and flex quite a bit especially if you have the gun laying out in the sun at the range. with that being said i have never had any failures and with the way i reload ive never had a magazine hang up. but i suppose even if you did with how large the base plates are it'd be pretty easy to muscle out.

Top Bottom