• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    So recently I've picked up a new Glock 17. Yes Darkstar... A Glock 17... ( I can hear the sigh..) :rofl: Just was looking for some opinions on holster options. I will be (trying) concealed carry mostly but would like the option of open carry as well. I know Alien Gear has a deal where you can buy an IWB and a OWB in one package and thats what I have been leaning towards but just wanted to jump on here and get some other opinions first. Ive always used blackhawk but would like to try some kydex or something softer this time around, but I'm open to anything! Thanks Guys! :yesway:

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I really love my x-concealment holster that can be ordered here: http://www.amazon.com/Kydex-Slide-Holster-Glock-Right-hand/dp/B008477M3E

It's OWB but holds the firearm close enough to me and high enough that I can conceal a Glock 19 with a untucked button up shirt or when I wear a jacket. May not be the best of a Glock 17 but an option you should consider for the cooler months.

Other than that, I really love my Galgo Kingtuck for my G19

Last edited:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm carrying my G17 with TLR-1 light IWB in a Stealthgear holster. They're pricey but I love this thing. Extremely comfortable and it positions the grip, etc. "just right" when worn at 4 o'clock so it's very tight to the body. I don't OWB as much as I used to but I have a holster from Blackpoint Tactical for the same G17 with light - the model with the leather attachment "wings" and I really like this one too compared to some others I've worn.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I am sighing heavily...also, I got the alien gear two holster set and like them so far. I would have let you try them out, but you just HAD to get a Glock!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just picked up the Glock Sport/Combat holster for my G30sf and am really surprised at how well it works. It's running about $10 on Amazon and is worth a try. It's light, has just about the right amount of tension and holds the pistol close to the body. They also sell a mag holster that works well, but I'm not a huge fan of mag holsters that need to have the belt threaded through them since that makes it harder to just pop the mag holster off if I switch from carrying a G30 to a G23.

Really though, for $10, it's worth a try.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have had great results for my IWB carry with Don Hume 715 Mc. (Without the thumbsnap). For the money one of the best. Of course about any Galco is a great holster but your moving up in price.

I have carried handguns for on and off duty for 30 years and let me just suggest. The biggest mistake folks make on holsters are #1 they don't pick a good quality holster and #2 even the most quality holster with use will not last as long as the gun so replace the holster every couple years or as needed. The kydex are a little more forgiving a they ddon'thave to be replaced as much but with use they too can become worn in different areas.

Just some items I have observed.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't know how you carry, but I carry in a Dale Fricke AIWB... And OWB I like the Safari Land GLS.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I use the Glock OWB holster as mentioned above. The $10 price is pretty cheap vs a molded models. Also have a couple of DeSantis leather pancake style that work well, they have a thumbbreak. Sometimes for a quick milk run, Bianchi has a padded IWB with a super strong clip, so grab and go.(think it is a 48N ?) Not really a fan of hip plate style they stick out too much, hard to hook a seatbelt in the car. Outside doing yardwork... they are ok.

Mine all hold tight, G19, sometimes a G21. Always wear an unbuttoned Denim or work shirt as a cover. Polo's are ok too, dark colors seem to help conceal it. I like mag cases that are easy on/off, Bianchi and Safariland make some with heavy duty clips.(single mag style). Also, I don't like using paddle style for the same reason as above.
    I hate to say I own 2 Tubs of holsters for various guns that never really fit me.
    Try a couple different styles, even used models work well.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    SlowHand here on the forum does Kydex and for my money it's as nice at the Raven setups and considerably less. Where stippling is concerned Jason at Elmores in Greenwood does the nicest stippling jobs I've seen in town.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Comp-tac or Raven Concealment. Or for retention type, Safari-land ALS.

Don't cheap out on a holster, the life you save may be your own.

When raven first started they were a decent deal, now with their inflated ego's and prices there are a ton of better options.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm on the same page as looney2ns...I also like the Comp-Tac and Raven Concealment, especially for OWB. For IWB, I use a Comp-Tac MTAC Holster. I use both of these brands with several of my Glocks...they work very well. Overall, with a gun the size of a 17, I've found that I just prefer to go OWB exclusively. Cover it with a shirt or jacket if you feel you must.

I generally don't agree with the need for retention with civilian use (in fact I believe it's a detriment in most cases). However, if you feel the need, Safari-land ALS is a great retention system. Many LEOs rely on ALS for their retention needs and it's what I'd lean towards if I found myself confronting bad guys on a daily basis. I'm definitely not a fan of the SERPA-style retention under any circumstances, as I believe it can lead to negligent discharges. Some people love these (SERPA), no offense intended to those that like 'em!

If your new 17 is a Gen 4, I would hold off on the stippling. The Gen 4 grip is definitely better than Gen 3, so you may be good to go already. An alternative (and non-permanent) solution to stippling that I recommend is the Talon handgrip wraps. You can get a rubberized version for every day carry...or a granulate (abrasive - sand) style for a more positive grip register, often preferred by competitive shooters. These wraps add virtually no perceptible circumference to the grip and stay put for a looonnngg time. Easy to remove if you decide you don't like them also.

TALON Grips for Glock, XD, XDM, Kahr, Ruger and Kel-Tec Pistols. Free Shipping!

P.S. don't forget that a GOOD belt is a must and is just as (maybe more so) important than the holster.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom