• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Just picked up a new SP101 last night. Was inspecting it a bit more and spotted this, which I didn't notice at the store. Is there a plunger missing?

I'm new to the SP101 line so forgive me if this is normal. I looked at the parts diagram and can't tell if the plunger it shows in that area would be exposed at the top of the crane or recessed down in the hole.

Thanks, folks!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I looked at them on Gunbroker to see if I could find any similar pictures, and damned if I didn't almost end up buying one. Smith girl here, but I've always wanted an SP101.

Also.. side note.. why is it that so many GB vendors post ginormous pictures of the inside of their shop, or their logo, but then they post tiny crap pictures of the gun itself?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I looked at them on Gunbroker to see if I could find any similar pictures, and damned if I didn't almost end up buying one. Smith girl here, but I've always wanted an SP101.

Also.. side note.. why is it that so many GB vendors post ginormous pictures of the inside of their shop, or their logo, but then they post tiny crap pictures of the gun itself?

The little tank that is the SP101 always called me. And since Smith doesn't offer a similar all-steel no-lock counterpart anymore, my decision was easier.

I wanted a gun that was easy to carry and also fun to shoot. I think this will fit the bill.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The little tank that is the SP101 always called me. And since Smith doesn't offer a similar all-steel no-lock counterpart anymore, my decision was easier.

I wanted a gun that was easy to carry and also fun to shoot. I think this will fit the bill.

When I was choosing my first gun, an INGO member met me at the range and let me shoot his revolvers. I was torn between the SP101 and the LCR, but the LCR had the carryability that I wanted, and I haven't regretted it. I still may need to scratch that SP101 itch when my money is right.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    When I was choosing my first gun, an INGO member met me at the range and let me shoot his revolvers. I was torn between the SP101 and the LCR, but the LCR had the carryability that I wanted, and I haven't regretted it. I still may need to scratch that SP101 itch when my money is right.
    As a carry piece its no comparison. The LCR wins hands down Compact, light weight, curved body, and hammer less its the the perfect carry revolver in my eyes... and its surprising how comfortable they are even with 38+P (i had one the earlier ones) i have yet to shoot a .357 model... But i still carried both and still thought the 101 wasnt bad to carry with a good holster (crossbreed supertuck).... range id have to say the sp101 was much more enjoyable i love to have a hammer yet small enough were it doesn't stab you when its a carry piece.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    That little hole is indeed a plunger that allows you to remove the retaining pin that holds the cylinder in place, which is good to know how to do so you can remove the cylinder for a thorough cleaning now and then. IIRC, the procedure is similar (if not the same) as the GP100. Here's a video, FF to the 1-minute mark to get the idea.

There's a little trickery to reassembly, but it's not hard after you do it a time or two. Not a bad idea to keep a couple YouTube videos handy to refresh your memory. Also, I don't recall that you need to remove the crane from the frame to remove the cylinder, but they did that in this video to more easily show the cylinder removal process.

[video=youtube;V0scTLrjUsw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0scTLrjUsw&index=3&list=WL[/video]

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    All of mine will. He has a burr somewhere. You can see huge burrs on the top of the crane. The two balls ride in a groove in the cylinder. Brownells sells a factory Ruger tool to scrape the crud out of that groove. It must be kept reasonably clean.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Totally normal. There is a plunger inside that hole that locks a cross piece in to keep cylinder attached.

IMMEDIATELY LOOK UP sp101triggerjob website.
    Follow we site, Order new springs + polish + add trigger and hammer shims ($20 altogether )
    And it will be like a completely different trigger.
    This is the BEST $20 and 2 hours you'll spend to get immediate and noticeable improvement

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Put my first cylinder of (admittedly milder) 357 through it last night when I got home.

MUCH nicer recoil wise than the 640 we had at one time with the same load.

This is a nice combo. I'm pleased.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mine is a 4.2" barreled 6-shot .327 Federal magnum.
    I actually bought it on a whim last year, just to try to help Ruger meet their 2 Million gun challenge.
    I could not be happier with my purchase right out of the box.
    My crane is identical to the o.p.'s

I took it home and stripped it dry, then slathered it in Permatex engine assembly lube and started dry-firing.
    1k or so pulls later, cleaned, oiled, and she is as smooth as glass.
    No shims needed, no other polishing, just pure happiness.

Even with a >4" barrel, I carry it with relative ease.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but... to the OP - have you looked up SP101trigggerjob website? It is a great resource

and to Mgderf - I'm jealous of your .327. I think that would be a fun caliber to explore (as a novice reloader, it at least makes it possible)

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but... to the OP - have you looked up SP101trigggerjob website? It is a great resource

and to Mgderf - I'm jealous of your .327. I think that would be a fun caliber to explore (as a novice reloader, it at least makes it possible)

You, sir, are a wonderful enabler. Or is that horrible? I've now had the little beast apart three times, each time going a bit further. This last takedown involved the 1/4" drill bit though the return spring/guard latch channel and polishing contact surfaces a bit with my Sharpmaker fine stone.

Ordered a Wilson Combat spring kit yesterday from Midway.

Now I'm really pondering shim installation.

Oh, the joys of steel working with steel.... :)

Top Bottom