• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As some of you probably remember, I've had some issues with my Redhawk 5032 that resulted in Ruger swapping my original out of spec revolver for a new one. The new one was significantly better, but was not quite 100% reliable in double action. I think I've got it resolved.

The first thing I did was tear the revolver down and inspect the innards. There were no obvious burrs or major issues, but I did notice it was completely dry. I lubed all contact points and reassembled. The second thing I did was stone the hammer a bit where the hammer hits the frame. There were machine marks on it, almost like a finger print but more regular, and it did not appear to be hitting exactly flush. I stoned it down smooth, taking maybe a few hundredths of an inch of metal.

The result was a significant improvement in reliability. Using Starline brass, CCI primers, and 6.6 grains of Titegroup under a 230 gr plated bullet, I loaded up 40 test cartridges of .45 Colt. I also took a box of factory HST .45 ACP hollowpoints. All cartridges fired. All HSTs were shot double action, 34/40 of the handloads were shot double action. The HST did occasionally result in my face being pelted with debris. I'm not sure if it's shaving the bullet a bit or I'm just getting blow back. I was on an indoor range and unable to recover bullets. None of the handloads caused the issue. Accuracy was within acceptable limits given my skill level.

Handloads at 7y, 1 called flier, double action.

20160411_104145_zpsd5bpxev1.jpg

Speeding up a bit, 34 shots into upper box. 6 shots of slow fire in the circle (the first two were center and slightly to my right, as I went along I pushed a bit high) and the final 4 cartridges in the 1" square were shot single action. I heeled the first shot bad and it's the highest one. Took my time and got it down into the box. The load shoots POA when I do my part. I find the round butt a bit more difficult than a square butt and suspect I'm heeling the gun a little bit.

20160411_105135_zpswqvqeqty.jpg

This is 18 shots of HST, all double action, in strings of 6. Shoot 6, drop the moon clip, reload and get right into the next 6.

20160411_105537_zpsh0pytkuu.jpg

I don't have any S&B primed cartridges at the moment to see if it will now pop harder primers, but initial results look good for CCI primers and domestic ammunition. This isn't a high volume revolver for me, but I still intend to load up some of the cheaper primers and see how they do.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Nice groups for a big revolver da, most ruger revolvers need the metal shaving cleaned out of the innards + stoning all the razor blade edges, have a blackhawk with a trigger guard so sharp you could shave with it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Great update, thank you BBI for this info, and detail of what you did. I've been jonesing a bit for a 45 ACP revolver lately, but if I went S&W, it would be an older Model 25 or 625 (just not crazy about the current JM, or the Red/White/Blue laminated grips on the PC). I sure like the looks of this fairly new Ruger you have, and was recently wondering if you had any news to share.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Looking dialed in.

I apologize if you have answered this before, but does the Ruger require moon clips? If so, are those proprietary to the Ruger? (I have a 625).

(just not crazy about the current JM, or the Red/White/Blue laminated grips on the PC).

I put the Hogue stocks on mine. Much better on my office-softened hands.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I put the Hogue stocks on mine. Much better on my office-softened hands.

True, the grips could be changed easily enough, and I'm sure the Hogues look a LOT better than the factory laminated option. I do like the looks of the JM model, save for the "JM" etching in the grip, and lightning bolt logo on the side plate.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looking dialed in.

I apologize if you have answered this before, but does the Ruger require moon clips? If so, are those proprietary to the Ruger? (I have a 625).

Shooting .45 Colt, no moon clips.

Shooting .45 ACP, moon clips. The shoulder in the cylinder is for the longer Colt brass, so the .45 ACP will slide all the way in and be roughly 1/4" below flush.

They are not the same as the S&W clips. Ruger clips are thinner, going by memory .015 or so. The cylinder won't close with S&W clips, regardless. Ruger is designed quite well, though, it's very easy to load/unload by hand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Loaded up 60 more with CCI primers, 30 with S&B primers, and 10 with Winchester primers. If it's not too wet tomorrow to get back to where I shoot on my rural property I'm going to try and chrono them and verify function of the harder primers. Winchester gave it issues before, setting them off in single action but erratically in double action.

If these all work, I'll try harder primers in .45 ACP and see how that goes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    10/10 with Winchester
    40/40 with CCI
    29/30 with S&B

The S&B that did not fire the first time did fire the 2nd time.

Chrono results:
    1.58 OAL
    6.6 gr Titegroup
    230 RMR plated bullet

CCI primer:
    High: 810.1 fps
    Low: 733.4 fps
    Average: 781.4

Winchester Primer
    High: 838.3
    Low: 715.9
    Average: 790.1

S&B Primer
    High: 801.7
    Low: 723.5
    Average: 762.2

Using only one chamber repeatedly with the CCI primer
    High: 764.5
    Low: 717.4
    Average: 738.62

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I loaded up 24 cartridges of:
    6.8 gr CFE-Pistol
    CCI Large Pistol Primer
    Mixed brass

Predominately to dial in the sights but also to check function with the moon clips now that it's working pretty well with the .45 Colt.

Indoor range, so I just shot at 7y.

20160421_135407_zpsqsjmocax.jpg

Frowny face is a called flier on the 4th shot, I knew I shoved it a little. It's dialed in with this load, if I can get to the outdoor range tomorrow I'll chrono and see where we are. Can't ***** about the accuracy of the ACP load, and even with a max charge per Hogdon's website, it was a ***** cat recoil-wise. Hogdon claims 934 out of a 5" barrel, we'll see. I may kick this up a bit just for funsies.

I had 3 cartridges not fire. One was definitely the brass's fault. The primer went off, but the powder did not burn. I put a thread up on the A-merc brass with a picture and won't rehash it here. The other two were both Geco brass, and honestly I have trouble blaming the gun on these. It looks like good primer strikes to me..

20160421_134340_zpsggddlocs.jpg

Small sample size makes it tough to say, but I'm going to load up enough to see if it varies by brass and also to do some rapid fire. Pulling the DA trigger slowly resulted in more cartridges being touched off then pulling it quickly with the first one that was about 50%, so I want to see if this one makes a difference.

The trigger is smoothed out a bit and doesn't have such a noticeable hump just before breaking now as it's worn in a little. It's gone from "horrendous" to "mediocre" so there's improvement.
    biggrin.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Necro update bump.

The gun would *never* run 100% with all brass and all primers. You could tailor and/or buy something it would run but I didn't want a picky revolver. I finally gave up, bought a extended firing pin from Hamilton Bowen, and gave it to a gunsmith.

Final word:
    The firing pin bushing was not fully screwed in from the factory.
    There was a burr in frame scratching and slowing hammer fall.
    Protusion was at the minimum of "in spec".

Great job, Ruger.

With burr gone, bushing in, and firing pin contoured round (instead of factory conical) and set to maximum protusion... it's actually working.

Everything else, including throats, was in spec and it's ready for me to pick up when I get a chance.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have a SRH in 454 that's particular about primers, always assumed it was spring power as it was a common problem with this model. I'll try looking at the pin and bushing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Necro update bump.

The gun would *never* run 100% with all brass and all primers. You could tailor and/or buy something it would run but I didn't want a picky revolver. I finally gave up, bought a extended firing pin from Hamilton Bowen, and gave it to a gunsmith.

Final word:

Great job, Ruger.

With burr gone, bushing in, and firing pin contoured round (instead of factory conical) and set to maximum protusion... it's actually working.

Everything else, including throats, was in spec and it's ready for me to pick up when I get a chance.

So...yeah, it works now. The trigger is also MUCH nicer now that it doesn't have a burr dragging the hammer. Honestly, I just thought that stacking was part of the Redhawk experience as both of mine had it.

I'll end up using it as a dedicated .45 Colt gun. The ability to shoot .45 Auto is neat, but the difference in point of impact is about 1.5" at 10y and groups are significantly larger. The chambers and barrel are obviously sized for the Colt and the Auto just doesn't engage the rifling as well.

Additionally using .45 Auto is DIRTY. The .007" difference at the neck lets a lot more soot blow back as the brass doesn't seal as well as the Colt brass. Colt brass comes out pretty clean, Auto brass gets your hands black real fast.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Necro update bump.

Final word:

Great job, Ruger.

Good...I meant to ask you the other day...

Top Bottom