• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've have always wondered if there are really any benifits to the TEC-9 style pistols, other that maybe just a fun gun. They have a 5"-6" barrel but I can get a 5" barrel pistol in a lot smaller package. Capacity can be had with extended mags on a regular style pistol.

How do they shoot? It seems that it wouldn't balance well due the the mag being way out front.

I can see it being turned into a SBR pretty easy but that might be the only advantage.

I'm not knocking them, just curious.

latest

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    One benefit is that while they are popular with gang bangers, they are highly unlikely to fire more than a shot or two without malfunctioning, which ultimately leads to fewer innocent bystanders being hit.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    they were popular on the tv show sons of anarchy, they used the full auto kg99, and every time the shot one, the gun fired every bullet, and I laughed and made the comment to my girlfriend "that's how you can tell this is a tv show, and not reality, cause my semi auto wouldn't fire 2 without jamming"

the biggest benefit to the gun was how far the charging handle sticks out, for someone with a weak body strength, the could put the cocking handle on a table, and push down to chamber the gun, then they could fire 1 shot, and repeat to clear the jam and fire the second shot, till the emptied the magazine.

but if youre looking for some kind of gun like that, I'd recommend a cobray/mac/masterpiece arms m-11, I had a cobray and it fired everything, all the time, no problems at all

but as a former tec9 owner, avoid that turd like the plague!

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I used to have a set of tec 9s and they were pretty fun to shoot, but that was the extent of it. I had very few feeding problems with mine once I started running steel cased through them. It would jam every three or four rounds with wwb and the bulk federal

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    One benefit is that while they are popular with gang bangers, they are highly unlikely to fire more than a shot or two without malfunctioning, which ultimately leads to fewer innocent bystanders being hit.

...............and secret agents...........

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've owned a Kimmel 9, a Tec AB-10 (neutered Tec 9), and a Cobray M11/9 semi.

Of the 3, the Kimmel jammed constantly, you couldn't get through a single mag without at least 2 or 3 failures. The AB-10 wasn't that much more reliable. The Cobray, on the other hand, was actually very reliable and other than having bad trigger slap, was a pretty decent, if heavy, pistol.

That all being said, why carry a bulk pistol like that, when you get carry a full size handgun (which is much smaller) with 15 to 18 round mags. Given how fast you can swap mags in a full size Glock or Beretta 92, I don't know that having the extra 12 rounds immediately, followed by a slow reload will really help. Hell, if you really need the capacity, just get a 30 round mag for the Glock or the Beretta.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Can you define "tec-9" style?

are you talking about KG-9 variants or pistols with a magazine forward of the grip?
    an sp89 depending on your definition may fall into this conversation

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the day they were pretty cheap to aquire, SA or FA neither was what I would call reliable.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Can you define "tec-9" style?

are you talking about KG-9 variants or pistols with a magazine forward of the grip?
    an sp89 depending on your definition may fall into this conversation

Yes. Forward mag and short(er) barrel. Tec-9 is about the only one I know by name.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm glad you clarified that cause it seems as everyone saw tec-9 and immediately attacked the gun and ignored your question. In addition to the tec-9, which is a variant of the KG-9, you should also look at the SP89 which is a variant of the HK MP5 and also the new SIG MPX to name just two more. If there were no benefit or need to a firearm that fits your definition of tec-9 style then I would imagine there would be no market for it, but to the opposite the is a HUGE market. I'd like to see the opinions now that we have clarified the question

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Portable with a good magazine capacity and adequate cartridge, easy to use controls, mechanically simple.

If the Tec-9s were well built they would have been excellent personal defense weapons.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm glad you clarified that cause it seems as everyone saw tec-9 and immediately attacked the gun and ignored your question. In addition to the tec-9, which is a variant of the KG-9, you should also look at the SP89 which is a variant of the HK MP5 and also the new SIG MPX to name just two more. If there were no benefit or need to a firearm that fits your definition of tec-9 style then I would imagine there would be no market for it, but to the opposite the is a HUGE market. I'd like to see the opinions now that we have clarified the question

Don't forget the CZ EVO Scorpion. About half the price to a SIG MPX and a decent SP89 clone, still very compact.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

So we're counting AR and AK pistols as "tec-9 style" too then? Ruger Charger? Broomhandle?

Seems akin to referring to all pistols with the mag within the grip as "Hi-Point style". It doesn't seem too off base to assume the OP was referring to tec-9 variants.

Top Bottom