• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I purchased an early High Power a while ago best I can tell based on the serial number it was late 50's early 60's. It has a black slide and silver appearing color frame. Also the magazine disconnect appears to have been disabled if it had one?My question is would it hurt it value if I had the frame coated to match the slide?Thanks

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    IMHO, if it's in excellent condition and slide and frame are original, enjoy it as is. If it's going to be a shooter, with no resale intentions, make it any color you want and shoot the hell out of it.

There are a ton of Youtube videos on how to remove/reinstall the mag disconnect. It's pretty simple.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I don't recall a 2 tone Hi Power until the Practicals of the early 90s but I could be wrong on that. The frame may have have been polished long ago and in that case the resell would go down regardless.

Personally though I'd be tempted to get the slide to match the frame, I always loved the Silver Chrome Hi Powers, be kinda a neat look.

The mag disconnects are the must to remove on Hi Powers, such a blasphemous addition

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I don't recall a 2 tone Hi Power until the Practicals of the early 90s but I could be wrong on that. The frame may have have been polished long ago and in that case the resell would go down regardless.Personally though I'd be tempted to get the slide to match the frame, I always loved the Silver Chrome Hi Powers, be kinda a neat look.The mag disconnects are the must to remove on Hi Powers, such a blasphemous addition
    I could be wrong about the age? I based my estimate on a website. It was made in Belgium and has some type of odd looking roll mark perhaps a symbol of sorts? I would attach an image but I am not sure how to do that.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Are you talking about the proof marks? The odd symbols. For a pistol in that date range you should have a single letter prefix and a six digit serial #. Also the barrel will have no serial and tins of proof marks. Tangent sights?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Are you talking about the proof marks? The odd symbols. For a pistol in that date range you should have a single letter prefix and a six digit serial #. Also the barrel will have no serial and tins of proof marks. Tangent sights?
    The marks are at the end of the serial number. The matks are on the frame. I will see if I can find out how to attach an image of it. That might help quite a bit.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Many High Powers and 1911s throughout the years had blued slides and frames that were hard chromed by the owners (as well as removing the mag disco). This was usually done for competition guns. It sounds like you have acquired one of those (unless it is a newer production stainless frame). If it has been hard chromed the chrome will have to be stripped or bead blasted off. Then you can either apply a matte blue finish or have the metal polished for a old style blue finish. It won't be cheap - if you are going to spend that kind of money I wouldn't worry about "harming" the value. You will need to figure out what the finish on the frame actually is. Be glad the stupid mag disco is gone.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Also, If the gun dates back to the fifties it is probably an FN (Fabrique Nationale) and will have an internal extractor like a true 1911 and an arched scallop on the ejection port side of the slide. I have one like this with 5 digit SN and it was made in 1955.

Does it have a ringed hammer?

Top Bottom