Special Forces outfitted with G19's, why not G17's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    This thread truly doesnt need a body, but here it is.

There isnt a concern for concealment, why not gain the 2 rounds, extra velocity and sight radius with a 17?

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    My thinking as well. But, maybe they are becoming more weight conscious? The whole ounces = pounds thing. Considering they'll be using their primary the vast majority of the time, maybe they didn't put much value into the 17.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Doesn't make sense to me either unless when they ran test the 19 did better.

Combat accuracy is what matters in a pistol. If they need longer range accuracy they will be going to their rifle.

I shoot my 1911's more accurate than my Glocks but I carry a 19 daily because of the simplicity of it and combat accuracy is all that I need in close range.

dfcrane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Feb 25, 2011
    South West Indiana
    OP states that there isn't a concern for concealment, but I am not sure that is necessarily true. I do not believe all Special Forces soldier are always in uniform. I think maybe they liked the idea of having one gun that can be used for duty and concealment. HK Mark 23 not so much.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    OP states that there isn't a concern for concealment, but I am not sure that is necessarily true. I do not believe all Special Forces soldier are always in uniform. I think maybe they liked the idea of having one gun that can be used for duty and concealment. HK Mark 23 not so much.

Great point.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My .02 is that it was just a generally all around better balance of size, weight, capacity, and ergonomics, e.g. it fit more people's hands mo' betta. (And a lot of the SF guys are not particularly big, just lots of "won't quit" and stamina). As noted above, it is probably a secondary/backup weapon the vast majority of the time, so giving up a couple rounds to get a bet balanced package wasn't a big deal (and of course, you can still put a 17 round mag in it if need be). And it was in the system already. As much as they practice and shoot (so I have read), I doubt the sight radius really makes a difference to them.

I have Glock 17 too, and like it, but it is a bigger bulkier gun, plus I have short fingers. The 19 is an excellent size.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County

Agreed, the 19 gives you concealment capabilities without sacrificing performance, If they want capacity using the 19 gives them the option of 15 or 17 round mags.

Possibly a versatility thing.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    How long have you guys been on INGO?

Clearly the special forces watch YouTube and saw James Yeager saying all guns should be Glock 19's

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Also at times, some of our Special Forces does VIP protection details and are dressed in civilian clothes. I would imagine that had an impact on the choosing of the 19 over the 17.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you think aboit the large scope of use for their pistols and that sometimes they need a gun to conceal. Also running them suppressed length and weight become a factor. The 19 fits the overall bill.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton

They switched from the MK 23 to the HK45ct a few years ago.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There actually is a frequent need for concealment for those guys, and a G19 is easier to hide. I (and some of the others who read here) know a guy who is a trainer embedded with one of the SF groups. He said they also have G26s for when the concealment is even more important.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    As everyone said, one pistol for everything. And the round capacity of the G19 is the same as the M9s. Also after owning both, in prefer the 19s grip angle/how it fits in your hand. More natural than the 17.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    As everyone said, one pistol for everything. And the round capacity of the G19 is the same as the M9s. Also after owning both, in prefer the 19s grip angle/how it fits in your hand. More natural than the 17.

I don't own any Glocks, so that's why I'm asking, but aren't all Glock grip angles the same? Is the G19's grip angle more "1911ish" than the G17? That would interest me if so. (Especially now that some are US made.)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't own any Glocks, so that's why I'm asking, but aren't all Glock grip angles the same? Is the G19's grip angle more "1911ish" than the G17? That would interest me if so. (Especially now that some are US made.)

The angle is the same on the inside and front strap, but since the grip is shorter, the palm swell hits your hand in a different place. This changes the natural angle at which the gun points for any given person when compared to a G17.

Top Bottom