• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Very interested in this gun for carry. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the decocker model over the standard one?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    When I set out for one I wanted the decocker. Couldn't find one so I bought the standard safety model. Glad I did, I'm not a decocker fan on the standard 75 style platform. I like them on the p07-09. The standard safety model will have a slightly better trigger because of less parts. Lower the hammer and carry at half cock, safety can't be activated in that condition. If you ever get over this way, I'd be happy to let you try mine out.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I agree with RustyHornet. I have a P-01 that is a decocker by nature, and a 75B with the safety. I prefer just about everything with the safety option over the decocker. And yeah, you can carry half-cocked with either option, but I like the positive snickity-click of the safety being engaged over the decocker dropping the hammer.

I suppose it's personal preference as much as anything, but I do like the safety just a bit better. Fewer moving parts = less things to potentially have to fidget with later.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Send me to the "decocker" corner. I have grown fond of the decock, DA and no safety feature of several handgun types.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For a carry gun, I prefer the decocker. A Rami can be carried with the safety on, but that's an awfully slim safety to slap off in an encounter. A lot of folks, myself included, carry on the half cock notch and with a safety model, that means manually lowering the hammer. Doing that can be an uncomfortable thing, which is why the decocker can be a nice thing to have on a carry gun.

For a range gun, the safety is the way to go, but for a carry gun, I like the decocker. Yes, they are more complicated and the triggers might not be as nice when tuned, but a carry gun is not only about the perfect trigger. Then again, I also sometimes carry a Glock, so my taste in triggers might be questionable.

Edit: I should note that I'm talking about the CZ safety, not the larger style safety on most carry 1911s. Those are big and nicely placed for flicking off instinctively.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I too am a fan of the decocker. Both of my primary carry weapons are DA/SA with a decocker and I am comfortable carrying decocked DA. The only thing I'm interested in carrying cocked and locked is a 1911

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I specifically ordered my Rami and waited an extra two weeks for the decocker model. Here's why: I do not like safeties. I dont like how easy it would be to forget to disengage it. so cocked and locked is not an option for me. That leaves hammer down one in the barrel carry, as I enjoy a double action first pull as well. so why didn't I just get the safety model and drop the hammer? Because I live in a world where accidents happen, and there is NO absolutely safe way to drop the hammer on a safety model. you will always run the risk of the hammer slipping and firing a round. all i have to do is press the decocker and i've got a half cocked pistol with one in the chamber that was safely put in that condition. all of my CZ's are decockers, and as long as I can get them that way, any future ones will continue to be.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just put my finger between the hammer and firing pin. Drop the hammer that way, no chance of anything slipping. Practice a couple times and it becomes second nature....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I just put my finger between the hammer and firing pin. Drop the hammer that way, no chance of anything slipping. Practice a couple times and it becomes second nature....
    You have skinny fingers Rusty. My Fred Flintstone fingers don't fit that well (for you kids that don't know who Fred Flintstone was, consult Google. He was a conservative icon of the '60s) .

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of the decocker model over the standard one?

Safety - potentially a better trigger - personal preference - same as my IDPA and USPSA guns

Decocker - personal preference - no worries about lowering the hammer for hammer down carry - sometimes scares the crap out of s.o.'s and r.o.'s when you hit the decocker and they are not expecting it

I like the safety guns but I do have four fingers on each hand (Fred Flintstone only had three).

Not what you meant by Decocker, but it was news to me. My brother and sister recently completed firearms training class in Illinois for their permit to carry license requirement, the instructor told them two in the body & then one in the fruits for self defense situations.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Safety - potentially a better trigger - personal preference - same as my IDPA and USPSA guns

Decocker - personal preference - no worries about lowering the hammer for hammer down carry - sometimes scares the crap out of s.o.'s and r.o.'s when you hit the decocker and they are not expecting it

I like the safety guns but I do have four fingers on each hand (Fred Flintstone only had three).

Not what you meant by Decocker, but it was news to me. My brother and sister recently completed firearms training class in Illinois for their permit to carry license requirement, the instructor told them two in the body & then one in the fruits for self defense situations.

I would think that the two in the body make a lot of practical sense. The one in the fruits would just be for personal satisfaction, me thinks.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I don't know, when I asked my sister about it she said the instructor told them that it has been proven to stop the threat quickly.

Many, many years ago when my ex wife bought her first handgun, she went on advice from a grizzled old Korean War vet and former Ky State Trooper to put "two in the gonads and walk the handgun up from there until the mag was empty." As he put it, he had never seen anyone do much assaulting after being shot in the nads.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Normally, I would prefer a safety over a decocker, since I like to ride the safety. The problem is, I don't like the safeties on CZ's, for a carry gun. They just aren't shaped right, or aren't tactile enough or something for me and I'm afraid I would miss disengaging it when drawing to fire. Because of that, and the fact that you're purchasing to carry the gun, I would recommend the decocker.

Many, many years ago when my ex wife bought her first handgun, she went on advice from a grizzled old Korean War vet and former Ky State Trooper to put "two in the gonads and walk the handgun up from there until the mag was empty." As he put it, he had never seen anyone do much assaulting after being shot in the nads.

Now that's what I call "gun-sense"... :):

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Normally, I would prefer a safety over a decocker, since I like to ride the safety. The problem is, I don't like the safeties on CZ's, for a carry gun. They just aren't shaped right, or aren't tactile enough or something for me and I'm afraid I would miss disengaging it when drawing to fire.

I like the additional weight and travel of double action for the first shot, never use the safety for carry or competition. Your milage may vary :).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

That makes sense. It's a win/win/win then. First, you win by stopping the threat. Then, you win by stopping the threat from procreating if he survives. Lastly, you win by the satisfaction of shooting the SOB in the nuts.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I like the additional weight and travel of double action for the first shot, never use the safety for carry or competition. Your milage may vary :).

My only issue is that unless the reach reduction kit is installed, I have a hard time reaching the trigger with a proper grip. Add that the pull is very heavy and it's difficult for me. The P-01 that I had the Wizard customize for me works out pretty well. Has the RRK and the DA pull is ~6lbs. I've carried that gun before and am pretty comfortable with it. Now that I think about it, I need to take it out to MCF&G to do some holster work with it :)

Top Bottom