• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I'm very much a novice to firearms and (before Saturday) I had never been to range before. I've been trying to decide which handgun to purchase as my first. I had narrowed it down to a couple of choices, but was leaning mostly toward a Glock 19 gen 4. Before I made my decision, I wanted to get my hands on one and shoot it first.

My younger brother is a former Marine and lives in Greenwood. On Saturday, we finally managed to etch out some time to get to the new Point Blank range off of 65 and County Line in Greenwood. I've never set foot inside of a gun shop or range before, so it was a new experience for me all around. The facility was very clean and the atmosphere was welcoming. The staff was friendly and I was surprised by the number of female staff on-hand. It may have been 50-60% female staff from what I could see, which was surprising to me. Of course, I'm just basing that on stereotypes, I suppose.

At any rate, we were able to get a G19 rental, 3 boxes of 9mm ammo, 2 boxes of 40 ammo (for his pistol) and 30 minutes of range time for $100 with the military discount. I thought that was good since we were both expecting to pay about $50 on the day. It was around 11:15am on a Saturday, but we only had to wait about 5 min to get a lane.

Thanks to RobbyMaQ, I've had a little exposure to shooting before, but I'm still very new to it and don't have the fundamentals down yet. Despite that, I was able to shoot about 4 mags of 15 rounds on silhouette targets at 5 and 7 yards with groups that were generally in the 3-4in range. I had a couple of outliers, but I was generally pleased. The pistol felt good in my hand and the trigger weight and distance felt natural. Again, I don't have much to compare it to, but I liked it. The recoil was very manageable as well and I didn't feel too awkward given my experience level.

We we also got a deck of cards target to play Draw Poker with before time expired. At 5 yards, I was able to shoot a Royal Flush in 7 shots. At 7 yards, I shot a Full House in 6 shots. My time to take each shot was, of course, quite slow, but I was again happy with my accuracy.

All-in-all, I had a great time at the range with my brother and I've decided that I will be purchasing a Glock 19 gen 4 as my first firearm. Daughter number 2 is due to be born any day, but I'm hoping I can convince my wife to let me get one for Father's Day. I'll have to get a safe first, but that shouldn't be too hard, I hope.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Outstanding Josh, glad you had a good experience with your brother, who sounds qualified to help you out with his Marine background! FWIW, some of the absolute best times I've spent with my younger brother over the last several years have been at the range as a common interest. Good stuff.

I think you're making a fine choice for your first firearm, even though I'm not really a Glock guy. It's a simple, sturdy design that will serve you well for many, many years to come. If you don't mind mixing it up just a bit, a few other really nice options to hold at the gun shop would be a CZ P-07 (which is nearly identical in size to a G19), a Springfield XD Mod 2 of some flavor (perhaps the 4" Service Model), and maybe a Walther PPQ. I don't mean to muddy the waters... first gun or not, the G19 is a very solid, reliable option.

Best of luck to you and the Mrs with daughter #2!

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's hard to go wrong with the G19. My Catholic school teacher sister in CA recently bought a G19, did a bunch of classes and now 4 months later is shooting IDPA out west. My godson is an Army Green Beret and swears by his G19 when off base. I'm not sure, but I think he carries a G19 when deployed as well. They can work for any level user.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    There's a reason the G19 is one of the most popular pistols in the world (if not THE most popular). Excellent choice!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Congrats on the new pistol! Getting into firearms can seem intimidating and exciting all at the same time.

I would strongly recommend that you seek out some official training (youtube and the interwebz does not count). There are many good instructors out there. Several that are members of and supporters of INGO. Just look toward the bottom of the main INGO page at the INGO advertisers section in the training sub section.

It will take some time and money. But it will be worth every ounce of each.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Hands down the best all around pistol on the market, and I have spent countless thousands of dollars trying to beat it. I carry mine everyday and trust my life to it.

147gr HST is a great carry round in 9mm if you haven't picked a bullet yet.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    My first handgun was a Glock 19, and I'm sure grateful to have had the right people around me to introduce me shooting and firearms. Congrats!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you're looking for some GOOD low-cost training (somewhat near by to you), then please look up Praetorian Concepts on Facebook and/or ACT Adaptive Consulting & Training: Welcome to Adaptive Consulting & Training

ACT folks are active here on INGO and I believe this is where they have their schedule posted. Adaptive Consulting and Training

Don't rely on your Marine brother for training. Marines are trained to do different ish than what joe-lunchpail will encounter. Not saying not to lean on him...but the .mil world is different than the .civ world.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I'm very much a novice to firearms and (before Saturday) I had never been to range before. I've been trying to decide which handgun to purchase as my first. I had narrowed it down to a couple of choices, but was leaning mostly toward a Glock 19 gen 4. Before I made my decision, I wanted to get my hands on one and shoot it first.

My younger brother is a former Marine and lives in Greenwood. On Saturday, we finally managed to etch out some time to get to the new Point Blank range off of 65 and County Line in Greenwood. I've never set foot inside of a gun shop or range before, so it was a new experience for me all around. The facility was very clean and the atmosphere was welcoming. The staff was friendly and I was surprised by the number of female staff on-hand. It may have been 50-60% female staff from what I could see, which was surprising to me. Of course, I'm just basing that on stereotypes, I suppose.

At any rate, we were able to get a G19 rental, 3 boxes of 9mm ammo, 2 boxes of 40 ammo (for his pistol) and 30 minutes of range time for $100 with the military discount. I thought that was good since we were both expecting to pay about $50 on the day. It was around 11:15am on a Saturday, but we only had to wait about 5 min to get a lane.

Thanks to RobbyMaQ, I've had a little exposure to shooting before, but I'm still very new to it and don't have the fundamentals down yet. Despite that, I was able to shoot about 4 mags of 15 rounds on silhouette targets at 5 and 7 yards with groups that were generally in the 3-4in range. I had a couple of outliers, but I was generally pleased. The pistol felt good in my hand and the trigger weight and distance felt natural. Again, I don't have much to compare it to, but I liked it. The recoil was very manageable as well and I didn't feel too awkward given my experience level.

We we also got a deck of cards target to play Draw Poker with before time expired. At 5 yards, I was able to shoot a Royal Flush in 7 shots. At 7 yards, I shot a Full House in 6 shots. My time to take each shot was, of course, quite slow, but I was again happy with my accuracy.

All-in-all, I had a great time at the range with my brother and I've decided that I will be purchasing a Glock 19 gen 4 as my first firearm. Daughter number 2 is due to be born any day, but I'm hoping I can convince my wife to let me get one for Father's Day. I'll have to get a safe first, but that shouldn't be too hard, I hope.
    NO, No, no. Don't drink the Cool-aid!! Dang too late. Another gun nut is born

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    haha, awesome.
    Welcome to the club (gun owners and glock owners alike)
    I've bought and sold a handful of glocks, and never had any issues with them. I'm going through a revolver phase right now...

Anyways, in regards to the safe - consider a bedside/nightstand option from Fort Knox (like their PB-1 or PB-2 models). If possible, AVOID the electronic/fingerprint types, and get something with just a simple button (mechanical, NO electronics) lock.
    For $150-$200 you can make sure little hands stay away, but it can stay loaded and accessible within a few seconds!! (electronics go bad and keys get lost.. push button is the way to go)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    +1 on the Ft Knox units. Quick, secure and simple. No batteries to die or RFID bracelet to lose/wear. Mine is ~17# empty, they are stout. Gas strut on lid..

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Great choice, the g19 is the perfect blend of size and capability. Easily one of my favorite pistols.

also, don't listen to others, the koolaid is delicious ;)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sounds like a good time. You picked a great first firearm.

Be careful those Glocks tend to multiply in the safe.

Top Bottom