• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    I bought a Springfield LW Champion Operator not long ago, and there are spots of the slides finish wearing already. Now don't get me wrong I didn't buy it for it to be a beauty queen, it's my daily carry. But I was hoping the Armory Kote would of held up better then it did. I know that "plastic" holsters can wreak havoc on a guns coating but dang it it didn't take it long on my 1911. Should I just have the slide Cerakoted? Who would you guys recommend for the job?

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    i would recommend hardchroming. It will not wear off the pistol, exposing the carbon steel underneath. Also it is very corrosion resistant.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a Springfield LW Champion Operator not long ago, and there are spots of the slides finish wearing already. Now don't get me wrong I didn't buy it for it to be a beauty queen, it's my daily carry. But I was hoping the Armory Kote would of held up better then it did. I know that "plastic" holsters can wreak havoc on a guns coating but dang it it didn't take it long on my 1911. Should I just have the slide Cerakoted? Who would you guys recommend for the job?

1)....Springfield will fix this issue.

2)....AllenM does all my Ceracoat work and all work has been spot on.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    1)....Springfield will fix this issue.

2)....AllenM does all my Ceracoat work and all work has been spot on.

I'm sure they would, and I have heard the CS is great. But are they gonna put the same coating on that has failed to live up to my expectations?

I will get a hold of AllenM and see if he can do anything. I am sure he is busy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sure they would, and I have heard the CS is great. But are they gonna put the same coating on that has failed to live up to my expectations?

I will get a hold of AllenM and see if he can do anything. I am sure he is busy.

Possibility the original prep on the slide was not clean enough and the coating is not sticking or any number of other problems.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My MC operator did the same thing right on the top left side of the slide. Annoying at first but I got over it I like to run that particular pistol allot so it gets its fair share of abuse
    J4rKUiMh.jpg

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Yeah, what kind of holster? It almost looks like you are using sandpaper for the retention. I used a Kydex holster for my Glock 27 for about three years and the day I sold that gun it didn't appear to have any more wear and tear than the day I got it. It is to keep the inside of the holster clean if you don't want wear and tear such as this. Kind of sand, dirt, debris inside holster amplify matters.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Kydex is rough on a gun's finish, but that is more than I've seen before. Keeping the inside of the holster clean will help cut down on the wear. Interested to hear what holster you are using and also if SA will cover it if you go that route.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    Right now I'm using the holster that came with the gun, just until I get my inforce apl and custom kydex holster. I try to keep the inside of the holster clean and clear of any kind of dirt, metal, or sand since it does go out to the garage with me and pretty much everywhere else.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wow, it looks like you dragged it behind a truck. I have pistols with tens of thousands of draws from kydex holsters that don't look near that bad. I wouldn't be happy with that either. Of course I hear you have to make a lot of concessions to carry a 1911.:stickpoke:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only durable finishes I have found are Park and hard chrome. Everything else wears off pretty easily (including bluing). The painted finishes are the worst of all. Holsters don't wear your finish - dust and grit in the holster do. If the finish on your gun is so soft that your holster wears it away then the problem is the finish - not the holster.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom