HK P30sk vs M&Pc 9mm: Who's owned or owns both, opinions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Would like a smaller 9mm for carry in hotter weather, narrowed it down to one of the referenced pistols. Looking for feedback from INGO peeps that have owned or own both? Which do you prefer & why?

No, not interested in Glock, FNS , etc.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I haven't owned both, but I've shot both. With the HK you're getting quality obviously. The down side is it's easy to accidentally engage the slide lock if you tend to keep your thumbs high, the DA/SA design results in a lot of take up (but the break is crisp), and it's on the large side for a subcompact.

The 9C is one of two MP models I actually like (CORE being the other). It's kind of like a Glock IMO; good all around but not spectacular in any one area. It's fairly comfortable to carry too. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the M&P. I just feel like it's a better bargain and better suited to the needs you listed. But, just to throw in my 2 cents, I'd skip both and get the XD Mod2 :D

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Haven't had both, but I did own the P30sk. It was a fantastic gun. Very good quality and the most comfortable grip I've ever had in a handgun. I had the V3 so a decocker and no safety. I loved the gun. The only problem was the hammer hit my hand every time I fired and rubbed my hand raw. It got old. I have lost a lot of weight since then so it probably wouldn't happen anymore. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Haven't had both, but I did own the P30sk. It was a fantastic gun. Very good quality and the most comfortable grip I've ever had in a handgun. I had the V3 so a decocker and no safety. I loved the gun. The only problem was the hammer hit my hand every time I fired and rubbed my hand raw. It got old. I have lost a lot of weight since then so it probably wouldn't happen anymore. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.

I forgot to mention the grip. The entire P30/VP series have ridiculously nice feeling grips. I've owned a Hi Power and a CZ, both known for their grips, and neither holds a candle to the grips HK is putting on these models IMO. I'll be adding a VP9 to my collection in a week or two.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Haven't owned the shield but shot a rental. The P30 grips are worlds better and more adjustable. The HK, once you have the right set of grips set up, feels just molded to your hand and locked in rock solid. I know it's less relevant but a full-size M&P is very snappy compared to a full size P30 which is a very smooth push.

The V3 just means SA/DA. The safety is a separate option (puts an extra S in the name)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP, what do you currently carry?

Do you currently carry a DA/SA firearm? If so, then I'd lean you towards the H&K. If you currently carry a striker fired firearm, I'd lean you towards the M&P.

With the M&P you'll find more aftermarket support, and much better availability and pricing on magazines. Because when you add in 3-4-5 extra mags to have with a carry gun...that can get expensive.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    OP, what do you currently carry?

Do you currently carry a DA/SA firearm? If so, then I'd lean you towards the H&K. If you currently carry a striker fired firearm, I'd lean you towards the M&P.

With the M&P you'll find more aftermarket support, and much better availability and pricing on magazines. Because when you add in 3-4-5 extra mags to have with a carry gun...that can get expensive.

Carried a HK45c for a couple years (da/sa), now M&Pc .45 mainly, if it's really hot, a 9mm Shield.

I have a full size M&P 9mm with ~8 mags, so with M&Pc 9mm, all I'd need are a few grip extenders.
    Really like feel of P30sk!

Also in on a group buy for a HK USPc .45, which will likely become EDC except for when I want something a tad smaller.

Yes, I have an addiction issue!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I'd say go back to the HK45c! I think it's one of the absolute best compact 45s on the market!

But out of your two options, the P30sk is great. Have you had any experience with the LEM versions of any HKs?

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I own a M&P 45c and a full size P30. I'm not sure of the dimensions of the M&P 9c, but the "full size" P30 is exactly the same size as my M&P 45c. As others have stated, the grip is the best I've ever felt. Mine has the LEM trigger and shoots very well. I could very well see a P30sk or VP9 in my future.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Never handled a M&P. As others have stated the P30sk has everthing going for it. My only (personal) issue is the reset. Its crisp but longer than a Walther P99c which is about 1/10". If you are not dead-set on SA/DA ala HK give the Walther P99c AS a serious look. You might be surprised. I picked up the P30sk last spring/summer when they first came out. It was great, as advertised. Then I tried a P99c-AS. The P99c is cc and the P30sk is a safe queen now. Just don't tell her she may get jealous.

HK's are like old girlfriends, beautiful, smokin hot, always did what you wanted and you will miss her... Walthers too. :cool: :ingo:

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I loved my M&P 9c, but it had one glaring flaw that bothered me.

If you didn't have a pinky extension on the magazine and ran a flat bottom compact magazine, my ring finger would constantly slide off the grip.

Just wasn't enough grip.

In came the Shield 9mm. ;)

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I loved my M&P 9c, but it had one glaring flaw that bothered me.

If you didn't have a pinky extension on the magazine and ran a flat bottom compact magazine, my ring finger would constantly slide off the grip.

Just wasn't enough grip.

In came the Shield 9mm. ;)

Aren't they about the same height? Wouldn't you still need to run the Shield with the mag extension?

I've had a couple of Shields, but am one of the few that preferred the XDS and Glock 43.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Aren't they about the same height? Wouldn't you still need to run the Shield with the mag extension?

I've had a couple of Shields, but am one of the few that preferred the XDS and Glock 43.

Nope, shield is taller, entirely because of a longer grip.

M&P9c 4.3"

Shield 4.6"

Smith__Wesson_SW_MP_SHIELD_9mm_Sub-Compact_Pistol_MP9_NDIA_Joint_Armaments_2012_DefenseReview.co.jpg Smith__Wesson_SW_MP_SHIELD_9mm_Sub-Compact_Pistol_MP9_NDIA_Joint_Armaments_2012_DefenseReview.co.jpg

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I love my M&P9c! Picked up an P30sk and played with it a bit. Nice gun, but I'd have to relearn my mag changes, pressing a lever instead of pushing a button. If one were going to stay with an all H&K platform, I could see it being a very sweet pistol!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Never handled a M&P. As others have stated the P30sk has everthing going for it. My only (personal) issue is the reset. Its crisp but longer than a Walther P99c which is about 1/10". If you are not dead-set on SA/DA ala HK give the Walther P99c AS a serious look. You might be surprised.

Catching up on this thread, you've given me something to research. Looks promising, need to see if I can find one to fondle.

Top Bottom