• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    Anyone have any recommendations of a conpensator for a Springfield 1911? Just stepped into the 1911 world and was considering adding one. Thanks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone have any recommendations of a conpensator for a Springfield 1911? Just stepped into the 1911 world and was considering adding one. Thanks.

Check some of the web sites that cater to USPSA/IPSC shooters and you'll see an assortment that tend to be popular among people who actually use them.

Here is what Shooter's Connection has right now: Search Page | Shooters Connection

I'd call them and ask what they recommend.

In case you're not familiar with compensators, you'll need to use a caliber with enough gas volume and pressure to make it useful. For the most part, a compensator on a .45ACP is mostly a barrel weight. On the other hand, they make a big difference with .38 super, 9x23mm, and 9mm loaded to major power factor.

You'll need a new barrel that is long enough to thread or press fit & pin the comp on the end as well, which will require fitting to your gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is this a full size (5") Springer...???

If so look at Clark. Thay make a very nice compensated barrel assembly.

This is one we had cut down to fit a commander frame.....
    Built is up for the spouse.

Same style barrel from Clark in my RO

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is this a full size (5") Springer...???

If so look at Clark. Thay make a very nice compensated barrel assembly.

This is one we had cut down to fit a commander frame.....
    Built is up for the spouse.

That's kinda like Nash Bridges' .38 super Springfield Champion with carry comp.

GlockDoc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Henry
    Check some of the web sites that cater to USPSA/IPSC shooters and you'll see an assortment that tend to be popular among people who actually use them.

Here is what Shooter's Connection has right now: Search Page | Shooters Connection

I'd call them and ask what they recommend.

In case you're not familiar with compensators, you'll need to use a caliber with enough gas volume and pressure to make it useful. For the most part, a compensator on a .45ACP is mostly a barrel weight. On the other hand, they make a big difference with .38 super, 9x23mm, and 9mm loaded to major power factor.

You'll need a new barrel that is long enough to thread or press fit & pin the comp on the end as well, which will require fitting to your gun.

this was actually quite helpful. Thanks.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup. A comp needs pressure to work. The .45 ACP is a low pressure cartridge (mostly). But like Rhino pointed out - it makes a nice weight. In .38 Super and 9X23 it works extremely well. You'll need better ear protection though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. A comp needs pressure to work. The .45 ACP is a low pressure cartridge (mostly). But like Rhino pointed out - it makes a nice weight. In .38 Super and 9X23 it works extremely well. You'll need better ear protection though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you run a hotter round over just cheap target ammo you can feel the difference. When I had AllenM cut down the 5" Clark offering to fit in the commander frsme for the spouse she really liked the results.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I still remember the first time I had to R.O. a guy at a match who shot a REALLY HOT handloaded .38 Super. It was just totally obnoxious standing behind that comp. Muffs just don't do it. The pressure wave flattened your T shirt on your chest. But he could run it really fast. My experience is that running that hot of a cartridge in a 1911 pistol designed for a low pressure round will tend to shorten the life of the gun. But it does work extremely well for a while.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I still remember the first time I had to R.O. a guy at a match who shot a REALLY HOT handloaded .38 Super. It was just totally obnoxious standing behind that comp. Muffs just don't do it. The pressure wave flattened your T shirt on your chest. But he could run it really fast. My experience is that running that hot of a cartridge in a 1911 pistol designed for a low pressure round will tend to shorten the life of the gun. But it does work extremely well for a while.

I have pounded the ears back on the stop on the guide rod on a few. Then I figured out they do make stiffer recoil springs and dampners.
    You are right in this. Close inspection is needed when cleaning.
    I run full house underwood 10mm in my 2011 and already beat up a stop in it......:(

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Were you still shooting USPSA when the 9x25 Dillon was popular and the hybrid comps too? Those worked the comp so well that some of them actually had muzzle dip/downward motion instead of muzzle rise.

Now THAT was loud. I was on a squad with one of the guys from southern Indiana once and he fired his from prone inside of a barrel. I'm not sure why it didn't knock him silly because his head was inside or close to the opening the barrel when he shot.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yup, I remember the 9X25. Inside a barrel huh? Screw that. I also remember going to the Masters and seeing a young Doug Koenig wearing earplugs and a full face motorcycle helmet to shoot his "long range handgun" (sawed off bolt action rifle) from inside the fully baffled firing lines. He said he couldn't do it without the helmet. The Match Director allowed it. Through all that madness I just stuck with the .45 ACP. Still shooting that same gun and still have most of my hearing.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My experience is that running that hot of a cartridge in a 1911 pistol designed for a low pressure round will tend to shorten the life of the gun. But it does work extremely well for a while.

ipsc open guns often suffer short life, but it's usually the extreme lightening on the slide leading to slide failure. Lots of high round count open guns that aren't extremely lightened out there. My 38 super has a couple of holes cut in the slide and has 60k+ rounds, no signs of extreme wear. I also hold theories that 9mm-major has some inherent problems leading to pressure spikes and premature failures. I've convinced quite a few IN ipsc open shooters to go back to super...

I have pounded the ears back on the stop on the guide rod on a few. Then I figured out they do make stiffer recoil springs and dampners.

usually a lighter than normal recoil spring is required due to the weight of the comp if you want the gun to run. I run 8 or 9 lb IIRC (been a while since I shot open, have to check my notes, haha). I did also run a shock buf, but not because I was worried about frame battering, but it shortened the stroke and helped my timing (helped keep the dot from dipping when the slide closed).

I also remember going to the Masters and seeing a young Doug Koenig wearing earplugs and a full face motorcycle helmet to shoot his "long range handgun" (sawed off bolt action rifle) from inside the fully baffled firing lines. He said he couldn't do it without the helmet.

:laugh:

-rvb

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    People who were around USPSA back in the late 80s and early 90s will remember that when everybody went to comped .38 Supers with ridiculous loads suddenly everyone started sporting a beard (to cover up all the tiny wounds on their face from blowing cases out. They called it "super face". I'm not making this up........

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    36ZCZMYh.jpg

Side note, some guns are designed from the ground up to work with a comp and 9mm Major :rockwoot:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My experience is that running that hot of a cartridge in a 1911 pistol designed for a low pressure round will tend to shorten the life of the gun. But it does work extremely well for a while.

I have to disagree, I shot this 38 Super 1911 I built for three seasons of NRA Action Pistol putting about 60,000 rounds a year through it. Other than changing spring each season and normal cleaning I never had to replace or repair anything on the gun. I was shooting a 125gr JHP at 1200. I know guys who shot +P loads who also had no issues with parts failing.

01db5f21-e510-4b3c-83b3-74ef7c4285c9_zpse576230e.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well that's great but I have seen a number of 10mm Delta Elites that were beat to death with hot loads and their owners were very surprised to learn their Colt was not indestructible. Of course those are mass produced pieces - not handbuilt and carefully fitted like a race gun. I guess I just don't see the need for high pressure rounds in a 1911. When USPSA went full .38 Super and 9Xwhatever crazy I stayed with single stack .45s. I like to ride motorcycles too but I don't see any need to go 160 miles an hour on one.

Top Bottom