• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My mind is all but made up on a Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator. It says it has a dual recoil spring. What does this really do for you? If you have one or shot one would it be a good choice for a day at the range? I have only shot the Ruger 1911 Aluminum frame which is a bit snappy.

Thoughts p!ease.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not sure I could tell the difference in the feel of my guns with a dual recoil spring and the ones with a single recoil spring. If nothing else, it extends the life of the recoil assembly. There may be a benefit that I just did not notice though. I think that the only two 1911s I had that have the DRSAs were a Kimber Ultra and a Delta Elite. The Kimber felt just like my other Kimber with the SRSA compact, but since the Ultra was a 3 inch gun and the Compact a 4 inch gun, it might be that the dual recoil assy did a wonderful job of making the little gun feel bigger.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Never shot the dual recoil spring. I don't feel much difference in round vs flatwire springs if that is any comparison. I can feel a difference when switching recoil and main/hammer spring weights.

I have a lightweight S&W 1911. It has more recoil. Lighter gun equals more recoil. The gun has a lightened slide and what I assume is a lighter hammer spring. The gun cycles fast with very little muzzle dip. In contrast my full size gun with a heavy hammer spring recoils with more of a roll.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A dual spring set up works just fine. You will never know a pistol has dual springs if someone does not tell you. I have only seen them used on shorter slide semi autos. Since two springs cost more than one, the manufacturers would not let the engineers design it that way if there was not some benefit in the performance. Since every spring has it's own harmonic frequency, using two springs would change that frequency to a value that is no where near affecting the operation in that particular pistol.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    A dual spring set up works just fine. You will never know a pistol has dual springs if someone does not tell you. I have only seen them used on shorter slide semi autos. Since two springs cost more than one, the manufacturers would not let the engineers design it that way if there was not some benefit in the performance. Since every spring has it's own harmonic frequency, using two springs would change that frequency to a value that is no where near affecting the operation in that particular pistol.

So it would not reduce felt recoil?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So it would not reduce felt recoil?

I would think it would be more durable. But spring weight changes perception of recoil. In my experience a heavier spring reduces the snappiness, speed, sharpness of recoil. But a heavier spring also results in the pistol nose diving upon returning to battery. A 4" 1911 is probably running a 20 lb recoil spring. Whether round, dual or flatwire I doubt there would be much different in recoil.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I've owned a Lightweight Champion Operator. Fantastic pistol. Probably one of the best I've ever owned. I very much regret getting rid of it. I remember it being a soft shooter considering it's weight and caliber. Way less harsh than the Glock 27 I shot once. Is that a testament to the dual spring? Possibly. It's not as nice to shoot as an all steel government model, but my wallet felt the burn before my wrists did. Buy one. Keep it forever. Save up and bob it. :rockwoot:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    All recoil springs have to be a balance. Too light and the pistol hammers itself apart. Too heavy and the slightest weakness in ammo will make it short stroke and jam. For functionality, whatever recoil spring is used has to fit inside those parameters. If using dual springs, their combined weight will be inside those guidlines.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've owned a Lightweight Champion Operator. Fantastic pistol. Probably one of the best I've ever owned. I very much regret getting rid of it. I remember it being a soft shooter considering it's weight and caliber. Way less harsh than the Glock 27 I shot once. Is that a testament to the dual spring? Possibly. It's not as nice to shoot as an all steel government model, but my wallet felt the burn before my wrists did. Buy one. Keep it forever. Save up and bob it. :rockwoot:

And I am glad you let it go.....so is my daughters significant other.

Top Bottom