• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So I finally get my new gp100 to the range, put about 20 rounds through it and the revolver freezes up. Could not pull the trigger and the hammer could not be pulled back for single action firing. I opened up the cylinder and turned it, pushed the cylinder back in and then I was able to fire the last 2 rounds. It did this quite a few more times before I finally gave up and went home.

To to say the least I am very disappointed and I will be sending it back to ruger. It was cleaned before firing and just used some standard .38 ammo for practice. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

I bought it because all the reviews I read said these revolvers were like tanks, very disappointed with my first full size revolver.

nettinyahoo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    South Bend
    That sucks! Might be as simple as some grit preventing the trigger from resetting. I have had mine apart with a little help from YouTube. Not the first thing you want to do to a new revolver. Good luck.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Take a tooth brush and brush under the extractor star. Then dry fire and see if the issue is resolved. Something under the extractor, such as unburnt powder, will lock them up as you described.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy had a Redhawk (when they first came out). Bought new, it locked up rather soon.
    Said it was full of metal shavings/burrs that had broken free.
    Total tear down and clean solved it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Take a tooth brush and brush under the extractor star. Then dry fire and see if the issue is resolved. Something under the extractor, such as unburnt powder, will lock them up as you described.

This! One of the reasons I quit using 4227 in revolvers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Years ago when I shot metal silhouette, loads with 4227 would cause powder kernels to get under the ejector star of my S&W 29, switched to WW 296, problem gone. Used up the 4227 in rifle ammo as I think the main problem is getting stuff under the ejector star like BBI described. Guys shooting the Ruger SBH did not experience the same problem, again the same issue as they were single action cowboy style revolvers.

redleg16

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Years ago when I shot metal silhouette, loads with 4227 would cause powder kernels to get under the ejector star of my S&W 29, switched to WW 296, problem gone. Used up the 4227 in rifle ammo as I think the main problem is getting stuff under the ejector star like BBI described. Guys shooting the Ruger SBH did not experience the same problem, again the same issue as they were single action cowboy style revolvers.

Thanks for the heads up!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen a few where the cylinder to forcing cone gap is about .0015 to .002". That is way to tight for general use. The slightest buildup of carbon would make the cylinder bind against the barrel. Facing .002 or .003 off the cylinder face will keep that from happening and the gap will still be plenty tight.

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    Send it to Ruger. I just repaired one with the same complaint. I found several burrs in the cylinder lock channel along with burrs in the hand channel. Cleaned and polished and works great. I'm sure Ruger would like to know as it is a quality control issue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Send it to Ruger. I just repaired one with the same complaint. I found several burrs in the cylinder lock channel along with burrs in the hand channel. Cleaned and polished and works great. I'm sure Ruger would like to know as it is a quality control issue.

Ruger QC sucks and they know it already. The good news is they'll (try) to make it right. The bad news is you've got a higher and higher chance of having to have them make it right. It's like they are shipping 80% firearms these days knowing most customers aren't going to shoot enough for it to matter.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom