• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've got the 4" M2. It fits my hand perfectly. For a defensive pistol and range gun, the trigger is perfect. But if you were going to seriously complete, the Apex would be an obvious choice. I take it you love the new trigger then?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've got the 4" M2. It fits my hand perfectly. For a defensive pistol and range gun, the trigger is perfect. But if you were going to seriously complete, the Apex would be an obvious choice. I take it you love the new trigger then?

Even if you're going to use a PPQ for matches, why do anything to the trigger? Unless you get a lemon, the trigger on a PPQ is more than good enough USPSA or IDPA.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree, I really lie mine. But for a truly serious competitor, that Apex looks pretty sweet.

What does it offer that are actual improvements? And what are the potential consequences?

There's nothing wrong with people doing trigger work/swapping parts because they want to do it, but I'm skeptical that for this series of guns that a significant improvement would result.

The trigger pull is already almost too light for some people. The reset (which is more important in my opinion) is about as short as it can get with a striker-fired gun and you can easily feel it if you like to ride the trigger and feel the reset. If the Apex parts reduce the take-up distance, that would be cool, but that's not always a benefit for most shooters unless they are trigger slappers (which is a legitimate and efficient way to operate a pistol trigger, esp. a 1911), and most who shoot polymer guns ride the trigger.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Dean might do better answering the specifics of that, but the Apex looks really sweet in the video he posted.

It might boil down to personal preference. I would want to try one on a competition pistol like the Q5.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What does it offer that are actual improvements? And what are the potential consequences?

There's nothing wrong with people doing trigger work/swapping parts because they want to do it, but I'm skeptical that for this series of guns that a significant improvement would result.

The trigger pull is already almost too light for some people. The reset (which is more important in my opinion) is about as short as it can get with a striker-fired gun and you can easily feel it if you like to ride the trigger and feel the reset. If the Apex parts reduce the take-up distance, that would be cool, but that's not always a benefit for most shooters unless they are trigger slappers (which is a legitimate and efficient way to operate a pistol trigger, esp. a 1911), and most who shoot polymer guns ride the trigger.

To someone who actually knows what they are doing the Apex is a huge improvement it dramatically reduces take up, over-travel as well as reset. It does not make the trigger lighter in order to help avoid ND's. I threw together a quick video comparing my Apex'ed PPQ QMatch against a stock PPQ and even a 1911 just to highlight the difference it really makes.

With a competition pistol at least for me "Good enough" is not good enough I want to push the envelope and get the best performance out of the gun as physically possible. That and at this point I am a serious trigger snob.

[video=youtube;NGyvVMtOtP0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyvVMtOtP0[/video]

I could totally see how an inexperienced shooter this upgrade might give them some issues considering its nominal reset and take up, but then again that is a practice and training issue.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To someone who actually knows what they are doing the Apex is a huge improvement it dramatically reduces take up, over-travel as well as reset. It does not make the trigger lighter in order to help avoid ND's. I threw together a quick video comparing my Apex'ed PPQ QMatch against a stock PPQ and even a 1911 just to highlight the difference it really makes.

With a competition pistol at least for me "Good enough" is not good enough I want to push the envelope and get the best performance out of the gun as physically possible. That and at this point I am a serious trigger snob.

I could totally see how an inexperienced shooter this upgrade might give them some issues considering its nominal reset and take up, but then again that is a practice and training issue.

Are you suggesting that I am not "someone who actually knows what they are doing?"

In which competitions do you participate and where? How long have you been doing it?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    An APEX flat trigger would disqualify the Q5 match from USPSA Production which is what I assume they made this gun for.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    An APEX flat trigger would disqualify the Q5 match from USPSA Production which is what I assume they made this gun for.

That or IDPA SSP if it fits in the box.

I don't know if a trigger replacement would put it out of Production Division in NRA Action Pistol or not. I've never competed in that division, just Metallic Sights.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That or IDPA SSP if it fits in the box.

I don't know if a trigger replacement would put it out of Production Division in NRA Action Pistol or not. I've never competed in that division, just Metallic Sights.

NRA still hosts competitions? :dunno:

Ok ok a joke in bad taste but my assumption is USPSA or IDPA being the target market. The Apex flat trigger does not allow the gun to compete in the intended divisions. I also would not put that trigger in my carry gun. I will admit the flat trigg is super cool though and would make for an awesome range gun.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, I can see that I was wrong about the trigger being useful for competition. I'm not familiar with the different divisions of the various governing bodies.

This pistol, though...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    NRA still hosts competitions? :dunno:

Ok ok a joke in bad taste but my assumption is USPSA or IDPA being the target market. The Apex flat trigger does not allow the gun to compete in the intended divisions. I also would not put that trigger in my carry gun. I will admit the flat trigg is super cool though and would make for an awesome range gun.

Yeah, it's okay to do stuff just 'cause it's cool too. Heh!

Well, I can see that I was wrong about the trigger being useful for competition. I'm not familiar with the different divisions of the various governing bodies.

This pistol, though...

USPSA Production Divison and IDPA Stock Service Pistol have restrictive equipment rules summarized in the appendices of the rule book. Some of them actually make sense! HAHA!

Of course, with that trigger you could use a PPQ Q5 in USPSA Limited, Limited 10, or Open Divisions. It would not be the best choice specifically for those division, but it would be acceptable under the rules. Heck, on the rare occasions when I'm able to shoot a USPSA match, I shoot a Glock 19 or 17 from concealment. I have to go in Limited Division (or Open when I have the light on it) because I don't want to download my magazines and I don't wear my holster in a position that is allowed for Production Division. It's good practice!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, it's okay to do stuff just 'cause it's cool too. Heh!

USPSA Production Divison and IDPA Stock Service Pistol have restrictive equipment rules summarized in the appendices of the rule book. Some of them actually make sense! HAHA!

Of course, with that trigger you could use a PPQ Q5 in USPSA Limited, Limited 10, or Open Divisions. It would not be the best choice specifically for those division, but it would be acceptable under the rules. Heck, on the rare occasions when I'm able to shoot a USPSA match, I shoot a Glock 19 or 17 from concealment. I have to go in Limited Division (or Open when I have the light on it) because I don't want to download my magazines and I don't wear my holster in a position that is allowed for Production Division. It's good practice!

Thanks for the info! And yeah, I would probably rather compete with my 4" PPQ. But man, this Q5 is sweet.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Are you suggesting that I am not "someone who actually knows what they are doing?"

In which competitions do you participate and where? How long have you been doing it?

Nope I assume you know what you are doing since you often work for ACT which I have heard many good things about. In your comment you referred to "Some people..... and most who shoot polymer guns" I was addressing this particular group of people specifically. I do not think I questioned your knowledge or ability to handle a firearm at all, if you did I will try to be more specific as to who I am referring to in the future.

I was just trying to point out that someone who shoots competitions or just enjoys handguns could really potentially benefit from the improvements made by the Apex trigger. I personally have shot several matches of USPSA and Steel Challenge but due to my schedule other things take precedence, that and I prefer shooting at my private range over a highly controlled multi-shooter environment such as a USPSA match.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nope I assume you know what you are doing since you often work for ACT which I have heard many good things about. In your comment you referred to "Some people..... and most who shoot polymer guns" I was addressing this particular group of people specifically. I do not think I questioned your knowledge or ability to handle a firearm at all, if you did I will try to be more specific as to who I am referring to in the future.

I was just trying to point out that someone who shoots competitions or just enjoys handguns could really potentially benefit from the improvements made by the Apex trigger. I personally have shot several matches of USPSA and Steel Challenge but due to my schedule other things take precedence, that and I prefer shooting at my private range over a highly controlled multi-shooter environment such as a USPSA match.

Thanks for the response.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I remembered this middle-aged (not really old) thread and decided to revive it.

A few weeks ago I got my PPQ Q5 match. I dry fired it for a bit and I couldn't really tell the difference between its blue trigger and the stock trigger on my PPQ M2. Shortly after I installed the Apex trigger. It was very easy. Anyhow, the trigger doesn't feel significantly lighter to me compared to the stock trigger. It feels different, which is obvious given its flat face. The reset is definitely shorter, but that is about all I get from it. I think the trigger might make hammered pairs and rapid firing easier, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet side by side. Honestly doubt I would mess with the apex trigger if I only had one frame. The flat trigger is so much different than any of my other handguns that I feel like it may throw me off a little. As it is though, I can swap the slides between my frames in order to have a stock trigger or apex trigger as needed.

I am excited to compare accuracy and recoil between the two side by side, but no better than I am, it'll be tough for me to tell. ;) The test target that came with the Q5 is pretty damn impressive though. It's an actual target with a 2" group at 25 meters!

Top Bottom