1911 ejecting live rounds behind spent case.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My handloads. 230gr LRN \ 4.3gr Titegroup \ 1.2" COL

I'm thinking it's most likely a magazine issue, but I've never seen anything like this. Pull the trigger, the spent case is ejected and right behind it a live round and then the slide closes chambering a live round. Out of 140 round, this happened three times. I was using two different magazines and I'm unsure if all three came from the same magazine.

Anyone experience this before.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Is it a weak ejection of the live round, as if only the mag spring is providing the ejection force? Or does the ejected live round tumble as if it was scraped out of the mag by the slide in recoil?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Is it a weak ejection of the live round, as if only the mag spring is providing the ejection force? Or does the ejected live round tumble as if it was scraped out of the mag by the slide in recoil?
    Yes. Just enough to get it up and out of the way of the slide.

This is a Dan Wesson Valor and the mags are Dan Wesson mags from the CZ-USA online store (DW distributor). I'll be marking the mags with a china marker and see where we go from there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Feed lips might need a little tweaking.

Maybe I've missed out on something over the last 4+ decades but once a mag is damaged it's damaged forever. Sure, I've bent a few guide lips back and tweaked some springs but once bad it's only a matter of time (fast and soon) before they'll go bad again.
    Replace the bad mag to the dumpster and begin again.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That's the hard part. This magazine is only had a couple hundred rounds through it. What's interesting is that if you push the round forward (like the stripping block would) the round will nose up and out of the magazine after about 1/4 inch.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    That's the hard part. This magazine is only had a couple hundred rounds through it. What's interesting is that if you push the round forward (like the stripping block would) the round will nose up and out of the magazine after about 1/4 inch.

Bad follower?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Dunno. First 1911 and first issue I've had like this. I purchased three addtional mags. The two I took the range are from this group of three. They're supposed to be identical to the factory mags, so the worst I could do is compare.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Dunno. First 1911 and first issue I've had like this. I purchased three addtional mags. The two I took the range are from this group of three. They're supposed to be identical to the factory mags, so the worst I could do is compare.

Any part can be new and be defective at the same time. ONE drop on a hard floor can destroy a mag.
    Number all your mags and it's easier to determine which one goes bad.
    I keep journals for my guns and accessories. Most everything else has serial #s. Mags don't as far as I've seen before.

Top Bottom