Where are the best places to pick up old, discontinued revolvers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys. Like the question states, have you guys had any luck finding old or oddball revolvers anywhere in particular. I'd guess that gun shows are pretty good places to find old items, but sometimes I hear about small gun stores or pawn shops having cool older guns. What has your experience been? Thank you for your time. -Ben

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hi Ben. In my experience, pawn shops have mostly crap pistols. I've seen a few revolvers, mostly run of the mill Smiths and Tauruses. Gun shows don't seem to have a lot of revolvers either, around where I am. It's just hit or miss. I'm sure there are some local gun shops that have a selection, but again, in my area there isn't. I'd love to walk into a LGS and find some cool revolvers.

You can find about anything you want on GunBroker if you look for it. You could also place a WTB ad here on INGO.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I guess it depends on what your looking for.

Do you want rare?
    Do you want them to be in excellent shape?

JG sales recently had "old" 4in heavy barreled S&W md10"s for $350.

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    most estate auctions are public and usually advertised by the auction company
    google estate auctions for Indiana and I'm sure you'll find some.
    A couple years ago, I went to a huge one at Earl's Auction on the west side of Indy.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try to find some estate auctions to go to soon. I'd love to pick up some of the older, well-built 22s. Also, is there a good way to tell if they are selling firearms, or is it pretty much dependent upon what information they decide to list online? Thank you for your time. -Ben

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Nice article, and the book would certainly help get an idea of what's out there and what you should be willing to pay. I'll definitely look into it. My only regret with buying books like that is that my eyes wood widen and my wallet would shrink with fear. ;)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    a corvette in a barn (and the corvette was MINE for about a day): View From The Porch: Gun show find...

That made my heart skip a little.....Just something about N frames in .44 special...

Mike Venturino told a story about how when he was a student in his 20's in the coal fields of West Virginia a local shop had one of Sid Hatfield's triple lock .44's for sale on consignment at a LGS...It belonged to Sid's nephew and had a letter with the provenance and Mike said at the time he REALLY wanted a .44 magnum and couldn't afford both so he passed...

He said not a day goes by that he doesn't replay that moment in his head and wishes for a time machine....
    2b6e105fb7162f8f87045323ab15d015.jpg

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    There's just something about those early 1900's revolvers that makes me want to pick up a trenchcoat, fedora, and some cigars so I can relive the good 'ol days.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's just a matter of hunting around and Gunbroker can be your friend if you can't find it locally.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Don't know if you are looking for something servicable or unique or both, but some of the best deals I've seen have been on Smith M10's and M64's. Gunbroker usually has some trade-ins for around the $300-350 range. My police trade-in model 64 is the best-shooting wheelgun I've got, and it cost me $299.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    You have to BEAT THE BUSHES walk the shows slowly and look and talk to the dealers actually find good deals at CABELAS and some chain gun stores . Remember that the sales people are just that,Not necessary GUN experts. The small shops are either sharp or don't stay in business long. Just remember DON,T try to skin the seller .If the price is too high for your pocket book at least you got to look and hold the gun that might be your GRAIL gun. Be prepared to spend his price if you really want it and it fits your collection . THis is 1 i just got made in 1917 a S&W regulation police . they look and feel like a toy cap gun

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Usually if the widow's husband was a gun guy, there's a vulture that's been waiting to swoop in and clean her out (and not give her a fair price).
    Thankfully that seems to be happening less these days.

The kids or the widow herself, know the things are of some value, may even have heard about Gunbroker and done a few checks.

I know of one guy, whp was the hunting bud of another, who tried to screw the widow with a ridiculous offer.
    She did alright selling her deceased's collection in an auction.

He had nice stuff, she had no hassle, so got good money in a single event. Enought items it would have been a bit of a PITA to drop a bunch off at a few shops to do consignments. Plus then it would have taken a lot longer.

Her husband was a good guy, so some of his buds bought stuff. Auctioneer also had notoriety to draw in people from some ways off.

But that was a gun specific auction. And the stuff was not on the inexpensive side (Freedom Arms, Sako etc).

For scores on the smaller lots of items, lesser value...............smaller auctions would be my area of interest. But I have seen some really high prices at those.

Occassionally a guy can make a solid score.............but I have no idea what the success rate is (how many auctions, miles traveled, before a deal is had).

My LGS handles the FFL stuff of some auctions............guys on average pay way too much for what they got.

Top Bottom