• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wp wrecks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Hello all,

My better-half (for lack of better-term) lost her husband six years ago after a long bout with colon cancer. He had a small safe in the garage with 3-4 pistols in it.

One of them is a Smith and Wesson .357 Highway Patrolman Model 28-2 in like-new condition. Bluing is 100%, there is not even a wear ring on outside of the cylinder. Wood grip has no scratches or wear. I don't think it's ever been fired.

Could one or some of you experienced wheel-gun guys give us some info on this beautiful revolver? She might wish to sell it at some time and I wondered what kind of desirability and value this gun might have in the market-place.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I sold one on here maybe a couple of years ago, same condition you described and with the original box and accessories. It sold for $650 within the first 15 minutes. That tells me I undervalued it.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I was willing to pay 750 plus tax for one that was probably not as nice as the one u described that sold literally 4 hours before I got there with cash at bass and bucks in wabash,IN. If she ever sells it I would gladly pay 750 for the one you described in your post.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There will be plenty of S&W enthusiasts who will drool over that little gem.
    It may be the plainer version of the model 27, but an N-frame in the condition cited will bring lots of attention.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Oh, you really don't want one of those heavy and obsolete old guns, I'll trade you a shiny new Glock for it......:):

Seriously, I agree with the above posts, you should be able to get an easy $700 for it....

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nothing much to add, I agree with the $500-$700 range depending on condition and accessories. Interestingly I just learned our local friends NRA raffle of five S&W guns includes 4 new ones and a 28-2 in the original box., no tools and very thin turn line.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I sold one on here maybe a couple of years ago, same condition you described and with the original box and accessories. It sold for $650 within the first 15 minutes. That tells me I undervalued it.

That was about right at the time...It's not so much you under priced but that they have an extreme fan base...The 28's were the "poor boy model 27's" back in the day but the prices on them now have about evened out with the 27's....That blows me away but hanged if it ain't true...

To the OP for what it's worth if I had it in the shop I would put $699.99 on it and live in fear that someone would buy it before I could justify adding it to the personal collection...I have two and I love them nearly as much as my K 22's....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hello all,

My better-half (for lack of better-term) lost her husband six years ago after a long bout with colon cancer. He had a small safe in the garage with 3-4 pistols in it.

One of them is a Smith and Wesson .357 Highway Patrolman Model 28-2 in like-new condition. Bluing is 100%, there is not even a wear ring on outside of the cylinder. Wood grip has no scratches or wear. I don't think it's ever been fired.

Could one or some of you experienced wheel-gun guys give us some info on this beautiful revolver? She might wish to sell it at some time and I wondered what kind of desirability and value this gun might have in the market-place.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    They haven't made them in a long time, so unless pressed for cash, I'd hold on to it. It will only increase in value.

Top Bottom