• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    Just got this pistol from a guy and would like to hunt with it. I'm curious what you all thought would be a good optic that would with stand the recoil of this monster. I'm a vortex guy but would love a aim point but they are a little pricy. I'm not one that would put a $20 scope on a $700 gun but hoping their may be something cheaper than the $600 range

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I'm running Ultradots on a 500 S@W and a 44mag. I think they're good quality for the money. Not sure how they would fit on a DE.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    Ya I would be amazed also I was just using the $700 as a example. It was alot more than that. I would like to stay with a mini reflex sight like a venum but not sure it will handle it. I have a fast fire from another gun I was going to try. If you think it would hold up

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ya I would be amazed also I was just using the $700 as a example. It was alot more than that. I would like to stay with a mini reflex sight like a venum but not sure it will handle it. I have a fast fire from another gun I was going to try. If you think it would hold up

I would be surprised if the Venom, or FF would hold to that type recoil (not that it cant happen, the percentages are just low).

This type scenario is why this was designed.

Vortex Optics - Razor Red Dot

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I don't think the optic is going to be subjected to the type of recoil you guys are thinking. Yes its a .50 but being the optic will be attached to the fixed barrel it wont be subjected to recoil impulse as if it were attached to the slide or the jolt of the slide coming forward back into battery.
    not to say it isn't a lot of recoil, but I don't think it's as bad ( on an optic) as you think

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I've heard good things about the Primary Arms Advanced Microdot. I have a Vortex Sparc myself.
    Not sure how well they will work on your DE though.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    I've heard good things about the Primary Arms Advanced Microdot. I have a Vortex Sparc myself.
    Vortex actually recommended the Sparc just for the hunting aspect with lense caps and all just looking for something smaller

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    Vortex actually recommended the Sparc just for the hunting aspect with lense caps and all just looking for something smaller

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I don't think the optic is going to be subjected to the type of recoil you guys are thinking. Yes its a .50 but being the optic will be attached to the fixed barrel it wont be subjected to recoil impulse as if it were attached to the slide or the jolt of the slide coming forward back into battery.
    not to say it isn't a lot of recoil, but I don't think it's as bad ( on an optic) as you think

The recoil is more then a gun with a slide. It has a bolt and a slide. The bolt action works like an AR's BGC. It's a pretty interesting design. It's going to be hard on a scope, when compared to the average pistol that is.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The recoil is more then a gun with a slide. It has a bolt and a slide. The bolt action works like an AR's BGC. It's a pretty interesting design. It's going to be hard on a scope, when compared to the average pistol that is.

No it's not. Please stop giving false info
    What are you talking about, average pistol. I've read far to many of your posts where you step in and give your opinion about stuff and its so far off base.

1) Just cause its a .50 doesn't make it some mystical recoil monster.
    Recoil is simply a matter of physics. the stoutest .50 factory loads send a 350gr bullet out there at 1270fps where as a good hunting round for the .44 will hurl a 270gr bullet at 1250 fps. while not exactly equal they will both generate a recoil pulse pretty damn close to each other

2) The fact that the DE has a rotating bolt doesn't do anything to increase recoil when compared to your "average pistol". If anything the fact that it's gas operated, with a rotating bolt and dual recoil springs helps to REDUCE recoil when compared to a RECOIL operated gun. and who compares a DE to an "average" pistol?

3) the sheer weight of a DE helps reduce recoil. Come on, have you ever picked one up

4) And you really mean to tell me that an optic mounted on a fixed barrel is going to have more stress put on it than an optic mounted on a slide and fired from the same caliber gun?

I've been running DE's with monster handloads for the last 15 years and have shot every optic you can on them just to try and make them break. You'd be surprised at what's hung in ther and cry at what's failed.

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    What are you talking about, average pistol. I've read far to many of your posts where you step in and give your opinion about stuff and its so far off base.

Recoil is simply a matter of physics. the stoutest .50 factory loads send a 350gr bullet out there at 1270fps where as a good hunting round for the .44 will hurl a 270gr bullet at 1250 fps. while not exactly equal they will both generate a recoil pulse pretty damn close to each other

2) The fact that the DE has a rotating bolt doesn't do anything to increase recoil when compared to your "average pistol". If anything the fact that it's gas operated, with a rotating bolt and dual recoil springs helps to REDUCE recoil when compared to a RECOIL operated gun. and who compares a DE to an "average" pistol?

3) the sheer weight of a DE helps reduce recoil. Come on, have you ever picked one up

4) And you really mean to tell me that an optic mounted on a fixed barrel is going to have more stress put on it than an optic mounted on a slide and fired from the same caliber gun?

I've been running DE's with monster handloads for the last 15 years and have shot every optic you can on them just to try and make them break. You'd be surprised at what's hung in ther and cry at what's failed.
    ok Rolex man what you think about a vortex venom on this beast? I have Grizzly 44 and a smith 460. Which I only shot the DE 3 times they don't seem far off. The Grizzly nor 460 have optics but I have thought about a venom on the 460 but I am on the fence about the mount options.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Yeah. I do actually have one of these. I have had it for about 4 years.

I have a few rounds threw it. I'd guess round 50 or so. I'll have to count the empty boxes. So I am not talking out my ass. When I say it is a hand full to hold on to it's from my experience. The recoils is sharp and hard, to me anyway. I have shot many hand guns and this this always ends up a little sideways in my hand and the recoil stings the hand a bit.

I am not going to get in a pissing match with you about this, I wasn't aware I was dispensing so much miss information. Thanks for pointing it out. Thanks for the heads up. I won't comment on anymore threads. I've been meaning to take a break for a while from INGO. I need to deal with some health issues anyways. I can be using my time more wisely. And not mislead folks.

Sorry to any one I have offended or mislead.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

So a noted Optics person (whom I hold in high regard) and another individual who owns one of the DE's says it might be a problem.
    You get snarky with these folks.
    Open discussion is why we have this forum. Opinions will Vary.

You might be surprised as to the knowledge these 2 members have.

I have ran a few DE's and they can be a handful. Not scary unmanageable but yeah, they bark.

Discuss. Exchange ideas.
    Make your points.
    Carry on.

Top Bottom