• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tapout4892

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Albany
    The other day I stopped by the local gun shop. Looking for a new carry gun and came across a few that I like but having a hard time deciding. I came across a cz p07 which felt great in my hand. But I also held the sig p229 as well and it felt awesome in my hand. I can't decide which one I should get so I figured I ask what people think about them.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Feeling good in the hand is a good 1st step. The next is to shoot them. Do you have a range in the area with rentals?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd suggest to shoot as many as you can. Even though one particular gun may not feel "great" in your hand, you might shoot it better.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Welcome to INGO Tapout. You have definitely come to the right place for discussion on carrying handguns. If a "Glock v. 1911" or ".45 v. 9mm" or even a "J-frames RULE" discussion breaks out don't be surprised.

Carrying a firearm is something that comes with a huge responsibility. Enough said on that.

Carry what works for you. Weapons (wow there is a lot. I prefer the Glock 26 Gen 3), holsters (usually Blackhawk! Serpa, sometimes Crossbreed Super Tuck. I also have DeSantis thumb break scabbards for my revolvers and my G21, and a Bianchi Black Widow for my G19 you get the picture), belts (I like 5.11 leather), magazine carriers (how many spare mags?? None if you're carrying a revolver, but then is it speed-loaders or speed strips or that 12 round folding thing with the velcro), BUGs, too much stuff for one post to include where to carry (4 o'clock, appendix, small of the back, shoulder rig, ankle, etc.)

Again go with what works for you. What can you conceal (how do you dress? I'm over 50 so concealing a handgun is easy for me, no skinny jeans or really tight shirts.) If it doesn't work, they will sell you a different gun/holster/belt/etc.

Tapout4892

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2016
    New Albany
    I didn't know there was an open range in crestview. And I'm not that big of a guy so concealing is a little harder. I have a revolver I've carried for 3 years. I just wanted to go to a semi auto because I can carry more rounds. Don't get me wrong I love revolvers to me they are reliables and don't jam. But I wanted something that carried more.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It's been said a few ways already, but carry what you want to shoot. What I mean is find the gun that just makes you want to shoot it. I own a number of guns but I carry one. When I go to the range to shoot whatever I plan on shooting, my carry gun always gets shot.

The reason for this is that no matter what the circumstances, my body and mind knows how to run that gun. Day, night, eyes open, eyes closed, left hand, right hand.... you get the picture. 30 years of carrying and I've never pointed my pistol at a living thing, I'm grateful for that, but if the time ever comes I'm comfortable that the mechanics of using it will not be an issue.

Pick it because it speaks to you, then shoot the hell out of it.
    My :twocents:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I didn't know there was an open range in crestview. And I'm not that big of a guy so concealing is a little harder. I have a revolver I've carried for 3 years. I just wanted to go to a semi auto because I can carry more rounds. Don't get me wrong I love revolvers to me they are reliables and don't jam. But I wanted something that carried more.

Which revolver? The weight and type of holster could give you an idea of which way you want to go. If you carried an N-frame or a Python any semi-auto short of a Desert Eagle won't be a big deal. A J-frame or a Detective Special? That's a different story

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I carry a Rossi 462. It's a j frame that had a square butt in on the handle.

Looking at the specs I think .357 in that gun would be REALLY unpleasant. With that said you've been carrying something around 30 oz loaded. Glock 19 is 30 oz loaded, not that I'm partial or anything.

Glocktard

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Central
    Like everyone else has said try to rent a few and see what you like best. Also, if you can try to take some practical concealed carry training. I would also throw in the MP shield as one you should try out. I have a Forest City Tactical sheepdog for mine and it is great!

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Open Range is very nice, indoor range very safe and a great selection of guns to rent.

Top Bottom