Broken Magnum Research Baby Eagle.... What to do???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Hi All -

I need some solicited advice from the group. I have a Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm that I bought new back in 1990 for $350. About 100 rounds after purchasing it The hammer broke where the hammer rod connected. I sent it back and they fixed under warranty. Fast forward to about 300 rounds on and off over the past 25 years. Yea, not much use because I was never comfortable carrying it. Well I had it out at the range two weeks ago and after about 15 rounds, it stopped. The hammer was in the full back position with no backlash. I took it home and disassembled it and found no damage or broken parts. I re-assembled it and it would fire with a cap without an issue.

I called MR Tech. Support to discuss the issue and they said they had never heard of this issue. This concerned me a little, but since Kahr now owns MR, it may just be information not communicated during the transfer. While I was discussing the issue with the Tech, I removed the slide to look at the Sear Asm. I re-assembled it and fired it with a cap and it locked up again. The Tech. thinks that it is the Sear, but at this point who knows. They require the the firearm be sent back to them for the Sear replacement for liability reasons.

So here is the question for the group. The gn was $350. Shipping back and forth will be close to $80. The gunsmithing for the Sear with parts is $90, then if they find anything else the price goes up. So is it worth the $170 could be more dollars to get a firearm that hasn't had the best reliability repaired or is it just better to make an ornament out of it and call it a day on this one?

Your comments and insight is appreciated....

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'd say forget it. You've shot it a handful of times over te expanse of many years, and you can buy a surplus for about the same if you really wanted it.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Sell it cheap with full disclosure about the issues.
    Somebody will get it and tinker with it and you can recover some money back with out shelling more out.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That sucks.
    Was this a steel frame version, or one of the poly's?

I have a Baby Eagle in .40S&W.
    No issues, yet...

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    For me it'd depend on sentimental value. If it has lots of sentimental value maybe it's worth it, if it's just a gun I had that I had little attachment too that could be relativly easily replace, yeah probably paper weight it. Personally I would keep it just cause.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    That sucks.
    Was this a steel frame version, or one of the poly's?

I have a Baby Eagle in .40S&W.
    No issues, yet...

It was one of the Isreali built steel frame versions. Honestly, I was extremely disappointed with the issues I have had. This vintage was always tauted as a top notch firearm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It was one of the Isreali built steel frame versions. Honestly, I was extremely disappointed with the issues I have had. This vintage was always tauted as a top notch firearm.

Possibly let someone local look it over.
    Might cost a bit and repairs are up to you at that point.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    For me it'd depend on sentimental value. If it has lots of sentimental value maybe it's worth it, if it's just a gun I had that I had little attachment too that could be relativly easily replace, yeah probably paper weight it. Personally I would keep it just cause.

No sentimential value other than this was my first non 22lr pistol. So what cool way could it be mounted fo save it?

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Possibly let someone local look it over.
    Might cost a bit and repairs are up to you at that point.

I was headed that way until I found out that the parts that I need to repair it cannot be sold and must be Smithed by MR. That in itself concerns me that these parts are not able to be installed and modified by anyone outside of MR or Kahr.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was headed that way until I found out that the parts that I need to repair it cannot be sold and must be Smithed by MR. That in itself concerns me that these parts are not able to be installed and modified by anyone outside of MR or Kahr.

Making the parts could be an issue.
    Installing them probably not.
    You would have to let a smith see it I am sure.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That particular model is patterned after the original Israeli Jericho, and is normally a great gun (I own and carry one every day). It's also very similar to a CZ75. Perhaps call the great people that do the custom work on CZ's and talk with them- maybe they have some advice. Cajun Gun Works, or something like that.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If you're in the HC, see if ZR Tactical will take a look at it.

Or take the drive over to near Brownsburg and see if Havlin's Firearms Finishing (INGOer Squirt239) will be able to help you out. Look them up online and contact him via his web page.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    With full disclosure of it's non-functioning condition, you could probably still get some money out of it from people (like me) who like caliber conversions for their guns. Since the top end is not a problem, someone with a .40 S&W or .45 ACP Baby Eagle might want the top half to mount on their pistol to convert it to 9mm.

Top Bottom