• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a Ruger mk III 22/45 Lite that I'm thinking about replacing the upper with the Volquartsen LLV. Kinda pricey though. I'm not really thinking I want to compete with it, but I've been disappointed with the consistency and quality of the Ruger barrel.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a good chunk of money and time in my 22/45 Lite, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not just going with a Volquartsen Scorpion pistol off the bat. But that's kind of how all my guns are. Only ones stock are my collectibles.

If the Volquartsen Scorpion would have an ambi mag release I would be ALL over it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My son and I have had good luck with Tactical Solutions barrels on Buckmarks. ymmv

2zfjwc2.jpg

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a good chunk of money and time in my 22/45 Lite, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not just going with a Volquartsen Scorpion pistol off the bat. But that's kind of how all my guns are. Only ones stock are my collectibles.

If the Volquartsen Scorpion would have an ambi mag release I would be ALL over it.

You shoot something enough and with the Ruger 22/45 you just find little things that you just wish were better. And then you get caught up spending money chasing every one of them. Maybe just chunking it down on a scorpion would resolve that up front. But I just don't want to give up on making what I have more of what I want.

I've pretty much decided on replacing the barrel. It's mostly a matter of deciding now if the Volquartsen is worth the ~$75 over something like the TS Pac-lite.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My son and I have had good luck with Tactical Solutions barrels on Buckmarks. ymmv

2zfjwc2.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I haven't seen a really good picture of the silver-fluted TS, and that's a really nice looking gun.

The Pac-lite for the Ruger is definitely less expensive than the Volquartsen, but the Volquartsen seems much more durable than the Pac-lite. I'm just not sure about the aluminum breach on the Pac-lite upper for the Ruger. But if someone makes a really good case I could probably be talked into not caring.

I'm not as familiar with the options for the Buckmark. Is yours the whole upper, or just the barrel?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's barrel only with an optional rail. Changeout takes about 3 minutes. My son started out with a 4" threaded barrel and then decided to move (wife driven) to California, so we swapped barrels. The above firearm configuration used to be mine.

I cannot vouch for precision, because we shot 22's for speed at steel rifle targets. I'm very happy with the gun. Vollies are fine too, but I didn't see the benefit of the additional dollars. So, I'd be interested in the answer too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's barrel only with an optional rail. Changeout takes about 3 minutes. My son started out with a 4" threaded barrel and then decided to move (wife driven) to California, so we swapped barrels. The above firearm configuration used to be mine.

I cannot vouch for precision, because we shot 22's for speed at steel rifle targets. I'm very happy with the gun. Vollies are fine too, but I didn't see the benefit of the additional dollars. So, I'd be interested in the answer too.

That's part of what drives the cost for either option on the 22/45 lite. You can't just replace the barrel. It's the whole upper. And on top of that, I can't just order one and have it delivered to my house. It's an FFL transfer.

I've thought about changing platforms away from Ruger. Maybe Buckmark, or I've thought of trying out the new SW22 Victory. It looks like it's a lot easier to disassemble. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket support, including precision barrels, triggers, sights, holsters, grips, etc. I may just do that. The smith is about the price of the Volquartsen upper anyway. So rather than upgrading the barrel on the Ruger, I could get the SW22, give it some time to figure out what I'm dissatisfied with, and then start fixing the things I don't like.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

My best bud who has a lot of money in his Marks would almost certainly agree. By the time you put all teh Volquartsen goodies on it, you might as well have just ordered a Scorpion.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That's part of what drives the cost for either option on the 22/45 lite. You can't just replace the barrel. It's the whole upper. And on top of that, I can't just order one and have it delivered to my house. It's an FFL transfer.

I've thought about changing platforms away from Ruger. Maybe Buckmark, or I've thought of trying out the new SW22 Victory. It looks like it's a lot easier to disassemble. There seems to be a lot of aftermarket support, including precision barrels, triggers, sights, holsters, grips, etc. I may just do that. The smith is about the price of the Volquartsen upper anyway. So rather than upgrading the barrel on the Ruger, I could get the SW22, give it some time to figure out what I'm dissatisfied with, and then start fixing the things I don't like.

I love my Victory. The same bud I referred to with the Marks says he thinks the Victory is the best .22 pistol under a grand on the market. (he won't say best, as the owner of a PC Model 41).

Mine is still stock; his has all the Volquartsen goodies like his Marks do.

I prefer the Victory. No need for a better trigger-- stock is plenty great. Slap the RDS on top, maybe the VQ match threaded barrel, and you've got a fantastic target .22.

And it costs half of what a model 41 does. And is far less picky about ammo. (model 41 does NOT like SK!)

Top Bottom