• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I bought this new, still stock. A really nice revolver. I'm not sure how many Rugers Secuirity sixes came with adjustable sights, red front, and oversize grips.
    I've owned a lot of Rugers; GP100, Three screw Super Blackhawk, Vacquero, SP101, Redhawk, Super Single Six, and a Mark II. This Security Six is right up there but doesn't have the bluing that the Super Blackhawk had.

DSCN0200_zpscykdrwjx.jpg

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I believe that all Security Six came with adjustable sights. The Service Six, same as Security, came with fixed sights. The Speed Six was the concealed model with fixed sights and rounded butt. All models to my knowledge also came in blue and stainless with various barrel lengths.
    It is a nice revolver. I wish I still had mine.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I ran across a really beautiful stainless Security Six about 6 months ago. It had wood grips, and a shorter barrel... I want to say it was a 3" version. Before I could make up my mind, someone else snatched it up. OP, yours is very nice, I like it!

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    My dad has the service six. Fantastic shooter, super smooth action. I keep trying to talk him into letting me buy it from him!

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    I just checked on the internet. The target grips on my Security Six were on some Security Sixes made after 1984. These are origianl Ruger grips with the silver medallion and make it a joy to shoot. Not rare but not common either.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    They are great revolvers, I have three of the four Security Six in Stainless, 2, 4 and six inch barrel,missing one, I think it is the 3 inch and not likely to get it. The Six inch has "Oversized Grips" straight from the factory. Love These. I also have a SpeedSix and a SecuritySix, blued. Always been a Ruger lover and still am. :yesway:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    geezer,
    Does yours have the five groove rifling in it?

This bore rider design was made for the one I had in 1981 and was extremely accurate out to 100 yards.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That configuration isn't really rare.
    As was already mentioned above, all Security Six revolvers came with adjustable sights, while all Police Service Six and Speed Six revolvers came with fixed.
    FWIW, the Police Service Six was our issue revolver to be issued to our helicopter pilots when I was in the Navy, and they're basically identical the Security Six, built like a tank and very easy to disassemble for cleaning.
    Just think of your great new find as a slightly lighter and slimmer version of the GP100.
    You're one lucky dog to have gotten it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    3-Sixes.jpg

ServiceSix top
    SecuritySix Middle
    SpeedSix bottom

At least my ServiceSix does not have adjustable sights. These are 38's and the bottom two are 357's.
    Gott he SpeedSix for an old car back in the day. Guy needed a car and I wanted the revolver so we traded. Car was worth about $100, and old Chrysler Imperial from the 70's with more troubles than I cared to fix. It ran though and the heater usually worked so I let it go. I had my Harley to get me around then so I just bought more warm clothes.

Last edited:

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    Old Pink. I bought this Security Six new in 1986 or so.. Before that, I had one of the first Security Sixes with the slanted back strap. That one pivoted in my hand when I shot it.

I've also had a GP100, sold it to my son.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope

this one is marked dept of corrections state of Nevada. At some time it had some poor trigger work done to it. Very smooth double action but hair trigger single action. I gave it to my son the last time he came to visit.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    3-Sixes.jpg

ServiceSix top
    SecuritySix Middle
    SpeedSix bottom

At least my ServiceSix does not have adjustable sights. These are 38's and the bottom two are 357's.
    Gott he SpeedSix for an old car back in the day. Guy needed a car and I wanted the revolver so we traded. Car was worth about $100, and old Chrysler Imperial from the 70's with more troubles than I cared to fix. It ran though and the heater usually worked so I let it go. I had my Harley to get me around then so I just bought more warm clothes.

Looks like the speed six has had the front sight replaced with a different style. Would you have any Info on what kind it is? Im looking for something to put on my speed six.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Actually, I painted it. I'm sort of a cheapskate.

If indeed it is a replacement, it was done before I traded it for my car 40+years ago. :dunno:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a 6" stainless. No probs.
    If in love with the Security Six, I'd baby it and run .38 spcl only.
    Your barrel splits or the frame cracks............you'll get credit on a GP100.
    And yeah, I've seen two that were dead like that.
    Think one of them may have left the factory messed up, went unnoticed for decades as it just sat in the box (only had 1 cylinder run through it and then put in storage).

Top Bottom