• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2016
    Avon
    Hey all I've just done all the paperwork of being able to carry a handgun here in Indiana. I guess its the waiting game for now. I've been looking at a lot of guns in the price point I need to be in. So far the gun that interest me the most is the Ruger sr40c because of the different options for the gun. Anyone have anything I may be unaware of or suggestion on a similar set up . Any input would be great thanks

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The Ruger SR40c is a nice pistol and will do what you want it to do...nothing wrong with .40 either...it'll make a good concealed carry home and personal defense pistol.

There are several good pistols out there...finding one that is comfortable in your hand is important...and making sure you buy one that fits what your purpose for having one is...home / personal defense (typically shorter barrel)...target shooting (typically longer barrel)...etc.

That in mind...also consider the Glock 27 .40 S&W for a home / personal defense pistol...good round...accurate...easy to conceal...reliable...etc. Also, can get a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm (Glock 26) magazines and shoot 9mm through the same pistol. Can also shoot .357SIG through it with a .357SIG barrel (using the same .40 mags). If having different calibers is a consideration, that would be a great starting pistol with options. On the subcompact Glocks, I prefer a pinky finger extension on the mags...definitely improves the 'feel' in my book!

Glock 27 at 230 yards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMEg4y54Dk

Glock 27 vs Glock 26: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wHUEwWmklE

Definitely start with a pistol that is comfortable in your grip though...that's an important aspect of becoming a solid shooter and developing consistency with it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My suggestion would be to go to a range where you can rent everything that you want. Don't just handle all of the guns that you want to consider, but shoot them! At first I really wanted a small pistol for concealing, but after shooting them I hated them. They weren't comfortable to shoot at all. Other guns I didn't like because of the grip texture. Others I couldn't shoot worth a crap because of grip angle, sights, or I just flat out sucked with it.

Pretty much everything you look at will be reliable enough for personal protection purposes, so find one that you will also enjoy taking to the range. I hear people all the time at work say, "well I just got this in case I have to use it, this is just in case I have to defend myself", etc. Training is the more important than which firearm you choose, so make sure shooting it will be comfortable for you and that you are able to make good shots with it. I had a friend who bought an XD because he liked the way it felt in the hand, but he couldn't shoot it worth a crap. He traded it for a Glock, which he wasn't fond of at first because he didn't like the grip angle, but he was hitting very well with it and he has come to like it and enjoy shooting it.

As for the SR40C, my dad has one and I can't say anything bad about. I don't much care for the trigger myself, but it's accurate and easy to shoot. He really likes it and that's what is most important.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    My suggestion would be to go to a range where you can rent everything that you want.

^This. Check out a number of different brands. Hand fit and how naturally a particular model aims for you are very personal selection points. I really like my Ruger SR9c, but there are plenty of quality competitors our there, so handle as many as you can before laying down the money.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What? There are other pistols beside 1911's? and you people actually waste good money on them?

Sheesh!

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I used to have a SR9c. It was my first gun actually. Really it was great and I'm not sure why I got rid of it. I'm sure the .40 version would be just as excellent. IMO, pretty much any pistol from one of the main manufacturers is going to be a solid pistol. It boils down to what features you like and what you shoot best.

There have been good suggestions with the M&P and the Glock. A pistol I've heard good things about and would like to try is the FN FNS9c. People that have a PPS or PPQ seem to love them as well.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OP, are you a shooter? As in a guy who grew up around, and continued to be around firearms, or are you relatively new to the sport/hobby/defense method. I'm only asking because gun ownership and LTCH applications seem to becoming a thing more and more Hoosiers are embracing. That said, don't get caught up in the .40 affinity, "because that's what cops use." I'm going to feel dirty after saying this, but IMO for relatively unseasoned shooters, I wouldn't suggest the .40. 9mm and .45 are more manageable, initially, than the .40. Most people can probably shoot the other two better, and aren't afraid of the snappiness the .40 gives. Personally, I would go with a 9mm, due to the amount of rounds you can carry and the performance of rounds they have today; which are negligible when compared to the .40.
    What options are you look for?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey all I've just done all the paperwork of being able to carry a handgun here in Indiana. I guess its the waiting game for now. I've been looking at a lot of guns in the price point I need to be in. So far the gun that interest me the most is the Ruger sr40c because of the different options for the gun. Anyone have anything I may be unaware of or suggestion on a similar set up . Any input would be great thanks

Maybe meet up with some local INGOers and try their guns out.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Very good point Kut. Now I am going to say something that will hurt.

If I didn't have the ingrained habituation (muscle memory) fot the 1911A1. and was starting out today I would most likely choose a 9mm.

• Cost of platform
    • Cost of ammunition for practice and carry
    • Higher capacity

Top Bottom