• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I'll bet dollars to donuts it had more to do with accuracy related issues than reliability.

The 9mm M&P Full size, and for some reason, only the full size pistols, have been plagued with accuracy issues. The Apex barrels make a remarkable difference.

I shoot cloverleafs all day with my shield at 15 yards. What I shot with my FS9, you couldn't even call a group. It shot patterns.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sorry to hear that. I kind of like the idea of our military getting their arms from US based companies.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I personally think the FN FNS will win. They have good factory triggers, ambidextrous controls and good accuracy.
    This was the handgun ISP was seriously considering before they went with Sig. The Sgt in charge of firearms at the time told me he visited their plant and was very impressed. The plant was spotless and used the same quality control as their M16 (and M4 now maybe?). He couldn't stop saying enough good things about the company and the handgun.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll bet dollars to donuts it had more to do with accuracy related issues than reliability.

The 9mm M&P Full size, and for some reason, only the full size pistols, have been plagued with accuracy issues. The Apex barrels make a remarkable difference.

I shoot cloverleafs all day with my shield at 15 yards. What I shot with my FS9, you couldn't even call a group. It shot patterns.

My FS9 is quite accurate.

Have you tried shooting with different backstraps to see if that's an issue? MOST people, even big burly manly men will shoot the gun better with the smaller backstrap installed vs. the larger two. That may also be the reason you shoot your Shield better - it fits better in your hand. Have you had anyone else shoot your FS to see if it may be the gun vs. the shooter? Because, generally speaking, accuracy issues with guns have to do with the shooter - not the hardware itself.

That said, wasn't there a hubub several years ago about the rifling twist rate in the M&P pistol not being fast enough or some such?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As I recall, when the Army listed the specs originally, several people complained that they appeared to be written specifically to get the Sig P320 as the chosen pistol. So that could be a sign that someone wanted the Sig. My money would be the Glock with them being chosen by so many other .mil and .gov departments.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    He's probably referring to the numerous brass to the face/weak ejection/finish issues.

Oh, ok... I was like man how did I miss something that would be as widely talked about as a Glock issue! I have seen lots of threads and some videos where people were getting smacked with some.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    My FS9 is quite accurate.

Have you tried shooting with different backstraps to see if that's an issue? MOST people, even big burly manly men will shoot the gun better with the smaller backstrap installed vs. the larger two. That may also be the reason you shoot your Shield better - it fits better in your hand. Have you had anyone else shoot your FS to see if it may be the gun vs. the shooter? Because, generally speaking, accuracy issues with guns have to do with the shooter - not the hardware itself.

That said, wasn't there a hubub several years ago about the rifling twist rate in the M&P pistol not being fast enough or some such?

Head on over to the S&W forum and find the apex barrel thread.

People went from 6-8 inch groups to 1-2 inch groups with the gunsmith fit barrel. The semi drop in barrels are getting 2 to 3 inch groups.

Top Bottom