• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaVistaBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Marion Co.
    A few weeks ago I spent way too much money on this S&W Model 1926 or 44 Hand Ejector, 3rd Change with a 5" barrel, made in 1947. It was a "Grail Gun" and I just had to have it. I finally got in some range time with it late last week and it shot as good as it looks. The group on the left was with Remington 246 gr. RNL factory .44 Special loads and on the right, this group was with Winchester "Cowboy" loads that had a 240 gr. lead flat-point bullet. Shooting was done at 15 yards from a sandbag rest and point of aim was 6 o'clock of the center scoring ring. Not too bad in my estimation...

To carry it, I ordered this 1930 Austin holster from El Paso Saddlery; in the russet color with fish-scale stamping. I paired it with a River Belt and cartridge loop slide. My next project is make up some .44 Special handloads for my Model 1926.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1475602495061.jpg
      FB_IMG_1475602495061.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 16
    • FB_IMG_1475602498868.jpg
      FB_IMG_1475602498868.jpg
      68.7 KB · Views: 13

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A few weeks ago I spent way too much money on this S&W Model 1926 or 44 Hand Ejector, 3rd Change with a 5" barrel, made in 1947. It was a "Grail Gun" and I just had to have it. I finally got in some range time with it late last week and it shot as good as it looks. The group on the left was with Remington 246 gr. RNL factory .44 Special loads and on the right, this group was with Winchester "Cowboy" loads that had a 240 gr. lead flat-point bullet. Shooting was done at 15 yards from a sandbag rest and point of aim was 6 o'clock of the center scoring ring. Not too bad in my estimation...

To carry it, I ordered this 1930 Austin holster from El Paso Saddlery; in the russet color with fish-scale stamping. I paired it with a River Belt and cartridge loop slide. My next project is make up some .44 Special handloads for my Model 1926.

Bill it's Rick at Falls City...Welcome to INGO...It's an honor and a pleasure to have a writer of your caliber and with your knowledge of western firearms and classic handguns here on the forum....Next time you are south visiting the in laws stop by...I have got one put aside for you...

Rick aka Indiucky

PS The wife read your article in Guns of the Old West this weekend on the Smith and Wesson tip up...As she was reading it she saw the picture of you shooting it in a Union uniform and she peered at me over her Bourbon Milkshake and said, "Doesn't he come in the shop???"

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Is it possible to spend too much money on a S&W chambered in 44 Special? I think not...

Both of mine are very special to me as both belonged to my Father at one point...

29b8f70f-64bc-45b1-8091-bfc060c7f560_zpsqgou45mh.jpg
    5e0c6d65-919c-4a64-827a-793faf89f04c_zpsfguaj1oa.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have a 1st Model .44 and a 2nd Model (Brit contract gun) in .455 Webley. When I really want to put on the dog I carry them in a double 1879 Model shoulder rig from El Paso Saddlery.

LaVistaBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Marion Co.
    Thanks Rick! I don't get on here often, at least not so far. I hope to get on more and more, plus make use of the classifieds. I'm back in the writing business as most of the old Harris Publications magazines are now being done by Athlon Media Group. THere's at least 7 of their gun magazines out now and all have 1-2 of my articles in them.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks Rick! I don't get on here often, at least not so far. I hope to get on more and more, plus make use of the classifieds. I'm back in the writing business as most of the old Harris Publications magazines are now being done by Athlon Media Group. THere's at least 7 of their gun magazines out now and all have 1-2 of my articles in them.

Glad to see someone picked up publication of those Harris magazines......

You will find quite a few like minded individuals on here....451, leadeye, snorko, BBI, liberty, bosshoss, kirk, snapdragon, churchmouse etc...All have a passion for vintage leather, weapons, and wheelguns...I picked up an awesome Colorado Saddlery Basketweave with rawhide border lacing from BBI Friday for my ca 1934 K 22 Outdoorsman....He has some leather jewels he's moving for a guy...I mean top notch...They seem to be going fast so I will try to let him know you may want to look at a few...All good names and top notch leather....

We may have an INGO Old Geezer Leather Wheelgun meet and greet here at the shop one Saturday...The smell of Blue Emu, Hoppe's number 9, and leather will permeate the air......

Seriously this is a good bunch of guys and gals and we are glad to have you....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Triple lock??? If so please post a pic....I consider that one of the most beautiful revolvers ever made....[/QUOTE

Yep...I have the factory letter on it. It was made in the teens sometime, I forget which year exactly. I'll take a pic tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to get it on here.

Top Bottom