• CZ p07 or Glock 19 for EDC?

• Total voters

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking to replace my EDC which is currently a S&W Shield 9mm. I like the shield for how concealable it is, but I have bigger hands and its hard for me to get a proper grip on it. I've been looking at the p 07 and the G19 and they seem very similar in dimensions. I know they are two very different guns being hammer vs striker fired.

I will be carrying it IWB, I'm not overly concerned with printing.

The CZ fits my hand like a glove and I love the trigger in SA, While the Glock is about 5 oz lighter and a bit slimmer but doesn't feel as good in my hand. It doesn't feel bad, just not as good. I also prefer the sights on the CZ.

If you had to make the decision and you couldn't buy both:): which would it be?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I owned both for a short while and really wanted to love the CZ P07 because I am a huge CZ fan. But I just didn't. I do love my P01 and the P07 just didn't fill a niche that I needed filled that wasn't already occupied by my P01 or G19, parts and accessories are EVERYWHERE for G19s and almost every gun store has a Glock armorer on staff. So the CZ P07 got traded away and I kept my G19. Much the same story as my RAMI. G26 just wins that niche in every way for me.

My suggestion is if you can shoot both back to back and see how you like them after that. Pick the one you group best with and be happy. Both are excellent pistols.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I did a modest review of the P-07 a couple or so years ago, and even have a picture in the thread comparing it to the size of a G19. I liked the P-07 a LOT, but have since gone to all-metal pistols in my smallish stash, no more plastic. But if I were to get another polymer gun, the P-07 would easily be on my short list again. The big thing for me vs. a G4 G19 is the grip angle... the CZ lineup has always pointed very naturally for me.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/337763-2014-cz-p-07-house.html

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've never shot, held, or seen a CZ before. But since I EDC a Glock 19, my choice is a Glock 19.
    I've been told CZ's are a sweet shooter. But you can't beat the simplicity and reliability of a Glock 19, especially for a carry gun.

And of the 2, I feel like the G19 is the closest to a Shield.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I vote for the G19 due to the striker-fired action.

I want my carry guns to have the same trigger pull every time.

I do know that some CZs can be carried cocked&locked in order to give consistent trigger pulls throughout - but that condition of carry isn't for me personally.

Also as a guy with "large hands", I can shoot my Shield quite well and have no issues with grip. (Most people with interchangeable grips on guns so equipped would probably shoot them better if they were smaller, actually).

Have you had any formal firearms training, OP? Take a class with your Shield and see if you can't just learn how to run it better?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I personally like the G19 better. CZs point well, yet my Glocks also do since I have practiced more. As far as the size goes, did you pick up a 19 with or without a backstrap? I have one on every Glock I own and it makes the feel so much better. As mentioned above for the same reasons, striker fired is my choice.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've owned two Glock 19s and currently own a CZ P07. I really wanted to love the Glock 19 and bought a second one thinking I'd come to love it like I love my G23. At the time, I owned a CZ 75 and a CZ 75B Compact but my Glock collection was up to 6 of the buggers. As much as I wanted to love the Glock 19, it just never felt right and I never shot it really well. In the end, both were sold and I built out the CZ side. Right now, the CZ side includes a P07, which is carried more than anything else, and two P09s, one in .40 and the other in 9mm. Once I add a P07 in .40, I might sell the G23, which is something I swore I'd never do. The P07/P09 family is really nice both in the hand and on the range.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I vote for the G19 due to the striker-fired action.

I want my carry guns to have the same trigger pull every time.

I do know that some CZs can be carried cocked&locked in order to give consistent trigger pulls throughout - but that condition of carry isn't for me personally.

Also as a guy with "large hands", I can shoot my Shield quite well and have no issues with grip. (Most people with interchangeable grips on guns so equipped would probably shoot them better if they were smaller, actually).

Have you had any formal firearms training, OP? Take a class with your Shield and see if you can't just learn how to run it better?

I've had a good amount of training with rifles but no formal training with handguns. I'd like to, and plan to, take some defensive handgun courses but haven't had the time with my hectic work schedule.

I can shoot the shield decently, but when I pick up a full size handgun I am leaps and bounds more accurate. I also like the comfort of knowing I have 16 rounds ready to go vs. 8.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    All very helpful posts, I appreciate you guys taking the time to put in your 2 cents.

I'm definitely leaning towards the CZ right now. If not solely based on how good it feels in my hand over the glock. I think I may be coming down with a case of the CZickness ;)

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I jumped ship from the M&P world to CZ a little over a year and a half ago, and have not looked back. I carry a P07 almost every day (if not the P07, then my Rami) and i LOVE that gun. I enjoy the G19, but for ME, the P07 wins. here's why

Similar concealability: almost identical dimensions, though slightly heavier

Hammer fired: I prefer hammer fired for MANY reasons. I carry chambered and decocked, i WANT the long, double action first trigger pull. We all know the whole "fine motor skills go to hell when you're pumped full of adrenaline" thing... well, that includes dexterity and feeling, as well. Too many times have we seen police officers accidentally discharge their weapons by accident because their motor skills had deteriorated to the point where they couldn't feel how much they were pulling on the trigger, and they yanked just a little too much, or preloaded too far, etc. And of course, intense training can overcome this... but it can also overcome the pull of a double action trigger. I prefer the safety of a slightly longer pull. I like the crispness of a single action pull as well from a hammer fired gun, rather than the consistently spongy striker fire triggers. I also have kids in my home, and despite doing my best to ALWAYS keep my firearm on me or locked away, there is always the chance for accident, and that trigger pull would be harder for them to accidentally set off. and finally, i have double strike capability. If i pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off, as much as i'd like to think i'd default to tap and rack right away, if i pull that trigger again, it doesn't go dead, it tries to fire again.... and often, if there's a chambered round that just didn't go off, it'll go off time #2.

Drop free mags: one of my biggest pet peeves from Glock.

recoil impulse in the P07 is more akin to full size than compact. no, it's not a great reduction like you get with a steel frame CZ, but it IS reduced.

The feel: My P07 fits me perfectly. Glocks just dont.

A few down sizes, as stated above, are the accessories. specifically magazines, holsters, and crappy sight options. But you can find custom holsters to order in tons of places, they run standard 75 mags, too (albeit they rattle slightly in the grip, and the bolt lock is iffy in some aftermarket 75 mags) so really, just crappy sight options.

Those are my thoughts. I'll be putting up a P07 review on Youtube in the next few weeks, if this thread is still relevant i'll link it up. was already planning to take the P07 and a G19 out this weekend to compare.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I jumped ship from the M&P world to CZ a little over a year and a half ago, and have not looked back. I carry a P07 almost every day (if not the P07, then my Rami) and i LOVE that gun. I enjoy the G19, but for ME, the P07 wins. here's why

Similar concealability: almost identical dimensions, though slightly heavier

Hammer fired: I prefer hammer fired for MANY reasons. I carry chambered and decocked, i WANT the long, double action first trigger pull. We all know the whole "fine motor skills go to hell when you're pumped full of adrenaline" thing... well, that includes dexterity and feeling, as well. Too many times have we seen police officers accidentally discharge their weapons by accident because their motor skills had deteriorated to the point where they couldn't feel how much they were pulling on the trigger, and they yanked just a little too much, or preloaded too far, etc. And of course, intense training can overcome this... but it can also overcome the pull of a double action trigger. I prefer the safety of a slightly longer pull. I like the crispness of a single action pull as well from a hammer fired gun, rather than the consistently spongy striker fire triggers. I also have kids in my home, and despite doing my best to ALWAYS keep my firearm on me or locked away, there is always the chance for accident, and that trigger pull would be harder for them to accidentally set off. and finally, i have double strike capability. If i pull the trigger and the round doesn't go off, as much as i'd like to think i'd default to tap and rack right away, if i pull that trigger again, it doesn't go dead, it tries to fire again.... and often, if there's a chambered round that just didn't go off, it'll go off time #2.

Drop free mags: one of my biggest pet peeves from Glock.

recoil impulse in the P07 is more akin to full size than compact. no, it's not a great reduction like you get with a steel frame CZ, but it IS reduced.

The feel: My P07 fits me perfectly. Glocks just dont.

A few down sizes, as stated above, are the accessories. specifically magazines, holsters, and crappy sight options. But you can find custom holsters to order in tons of places, they run standard 75 mags, too (albeit they rattle slightly in the grip, and the bolt lock is iffy in some aftermarket 75 mags) so really, just crappy sight options.

Those are my thoughts. I'll be putting up a P07 review on Youtube in the next few weeks, if this thread is still relevant i'll link it up. was already planning to take the P07 and a G19 out this weekend to compare.

I definitely weighed in the heavy trigger pull for that first DA shot, and I agree completely. I like the idea of being able to line up my sights properly and being able to make a conscious decision of whether or not to fire with that longer trigger pull.

As far as holsters go, I'm planning on doing the free swap of kydex shells for my Alien Gear holster and probably picking up an OWB holster for the proper occasions now that I will have a more full size platform pistol.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am going to be special and recommend the Sig Sauer P320, same general price point has tritium sights stock (A must for a EDC pistol) and has a better trigger than the G19 or PO7 just my m:twocents:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am going to be special and recommend the Sig Sauer P320, same general price point has tritium sights stock (A must for a EDC pistol) and has a better trigger than the G19 or PO7 just my m:twocents:

Well, if we are going to muddy the water a bit, let's throw in the Sig SP2022 and the CZ 75 compact PCR. The size and weight of the PCR is basically the same as the Glock 19, and it is an allow frame for those that don't like plastic. The function of the 2022, PCR and the P-07 are basically the same. And if I decided to get a plastic stricker fired pistol, I would choose the P320 or FNS over the Glock 19...but that is a different thread. I tried to like the Glock 19 myself, and just could not stand the grip. I went CZ, and I'm loving it. :koolaid:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Love my CZ P07 Duty... I carry cocked and locked, which eliminates the first long trigger pull. The CZ just shoots like a dream, even in .40 cal I control it just as well as my Glock in 9mm. It conceals well, shoots amazing, feels great... I mean really, I'm not sure why I waited so long to get one

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Shoot both of them if you can and buy the one you shoot best. They are both more than capable of filling the role you plan to use them in.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    My 1st gen P07 Duty in 40 S&W shoots great but the finish seemed to wear faster than I expected. The CZ has similar reliability to the Glock, and it does fit the hand very well. As has already been mentioned, part of the appeal of the Glock is the universal availability of parts and accessories, and mags are cheap. CZ mags can be expensive. I think the Glock's finish is more durable, though from a mechanical perspective, either gun will outlast the typical shooter. Another factor to consider is how responsive Glock's customer service is. I am not aware of another pistol manufacturer that will rebuild your old model - for free - while you wait.

Top Bottom