• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    OK interested in a G19. Never shot a Glock before. Which version of the G19 and why.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Unless you want a left handed mag release and/or customizable grip sizes, Gen3. I'm left handed and I dont even think the extras are worth it. (they generally cost a little more) YMMV.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I like my gen 4, I have an Agency Arms Magwell installed and Trijicon HDs.

The gen 4s provide great grip texture and have a decent aftermarket support, all though the Gen 3 19s will probably have more aftermarket support. All up to you and wha tyou plan to do to the gun if anything at all.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Gen 2 if you don't like finger grooves and are ok with it not having a rail. They are very hard to find though.

Gen 3 gives you finger grooves and a rail. They feel great in the hand.

Gen 4 has a larger mag release and it's reversible, more texture on the grip and interchangeable back straps.

I recently got my Gen 4 19 and I'm really liking it. The texture of the grip is perfect and I appreciate the larger mag release. My Gen 3 17 still feels good though but always wished the mag release was better. My Gen 2 23 feels great and is a dream to shoot.

I like the Gen 4 well enough I'll definitely be adding a new 17 soon.

It depends on what you like.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unless you want a left handed mag release and/or customizable grip sizes, Gen3. I'm left handed and I dont even think the extras are worth it. (they generally cost a little more) YMMV.
    This. I'm a lefty and I got the Gen4 for the reversible mag release. If you pick up a Gen3 and it feels good as is, you can get them for about $100 less.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'd suggest watching a few Youtube vids on the comparisons of the different generations. Hickcock45 did a great one. I'd say away from generation 1 guns (Gen1) and probably generation 2. Not a lot of differences between the Gen3 and Gen4 aside from what was mentioned. In the grand scheme of things, each generation improves upon the previous. Some are real, some are perceived (like finger grooves, interchangeable backstraps, etc.). I currently have a Gen4 19 and it's a fantasic gun. They don't require any modification, but there are a few cheap things you can to to tailor it to your own liking. I don't think there's anything damning about the newer generations. If you need the features the Gen4 offers, get the Gen4. If not, you'll never know the difference with a Gen3.

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    I like the interchangeable backstraps on a gen 4. Sometimes I shoot better with a configuration that was not the most comfortable when I was looking at the gun in a store.

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh
    I bought the Gen 4 because that's what was in the shop when I went to make the purchase. Looking back I'm glad I bought the Gen 4. I was getting some pretty good slide bite with the stock grips. Threw on one of the supplied backstraps with a small beaver tail that solved the problem.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I dig all the Gen 4 has to offer and like being current.

Warning you now they multiply. Start buying mags and ammo now. Once you start shooting it's hard to stop.

Have fun!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    I have both Gen 3 & 4 and I prefer the Gen 3's grip. But I also have a lot more trigger time behind the Gen 3 and that could be why I favor it. My advice would be to handle both and see what feels best in your hands.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    If you are looking to get a Glock check out Gssf. With a 2 year membership you can get blue label pricing once a year. The price difference between G3 and G4 become fairly minimal. Personally I prefer the G4 grip.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have owned, carried, and used a Glock, in some form or another for the last 15 years. I currently own several hundred Glock products, over 100 being 9mm magazines, the ONLY Gen 4 item I own, is those magazines! The only reason I have those, is that is what was sent when I ordered. Conservatively, my first G19 has 30-40K through it, and I've only replaced the sights, and RSA. My outside experience with Gen4 Pistols. Has been less than ok.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Compared to the 3rd Gen, the 4th Gen has a much more smoother mag release button. It's not really sticking too much and feels natural in your hand. The grip angle is pretty much the same and the texturing is really irrelevant unless you want to get an RTF gun.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Please share.....
    Failures to eject, failures to extract, failures to fire(ammo maybe?). Mucho brass to face, would not function with TLR attached, but would with X300(?). Glock supposedly has refined the Gen4 since its inception, but I'll pass personally. Plus I HATE that mag release.

Top Bottom