Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pistol Drills with low rounds count

Ok, so like you guys might of seen from my posts before, Im a broke college student who is getting into competition and defensive pistol craft.

I have shot two USPSA matches and two Three gun matches. Given the election, I have bought about 300 rounds of 9mm and I figure that might be all I can get for the next several months. What I am wondering is is there any drills that can be run with a pistol with a limited rounds count to be able to train.

I have access to a outdoor range, both bullseye and IPSC targets and target stands and the ability to create my own courses of fire. I figure as a start lots of dry fire is not a bad thing, as is doing more dynamic drills like the el presidente, but would you guys have anything of a similar kind?

Also I figure integrating PT to both get more in shape and to stress inoculate and simulate the adrenaline dump of a fight. I figure a real test of how good your weapon manipulation is when your heart is hammering away at 150bpm, and if you have better cardio as well supposedly you are better able to handle stress dumps as well.

And if everything goes to hell price wise or poltically I can just fall back to relying on shotgun for most defensive uses since shotgun shells are comparatively cheap, plentiful, domestically produced (so for the most part not as hurt by import bans), and very unlikely to be banned, but its alot less flexible of a weapons system
    Low Speed, High Drag

Dot torture is a pretty reasonable drill and takes 50 rounds.

pistol-training.com » Dot Torture

Stress inoculation and adrenaline/cardio are related but different. Simunitions with pain penalties (ie, not so padded up that if you get hit it doesn't hurt) is, IMO, the best stress inoculation outside of real life events. It's not so much the adrenaline as the mental strain of trying to observe, think, plan, execute, etc. all at the same time. Just breathing hard doesn't simulate that, although still a worthwhile skill to have.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

Set up your course and use an airsoft for technique and discipline.
    Last edited by Bigtanker; 11-08-2016 at 12:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    The N in INGO stands for knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    ***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 23050

Dryfire.
    Dryfire some more.
    Then even more dryfire.
    cost = $0.

The things you need to do on the range are recoil control related, and vision related (helping you to see the sights in recoil).
    Accellerator drill. Bill drill. Timing drills. Garcia dot drill (better use of limited ammo than dot torture, IMO).
    Those drills will go through the ammo quickly, but are best use of actual recoil vs a bunch of draws and reloads etc you can do in your living room.

Then a few el prez to see how the dryfire is working (12 rounds incorporating draws, transitions, reloads) when you put it all together.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

I do a bit of transition drills between rifle and pistol as well as loading down mags when doing Run-N-Gun to force mags changes under stress. As of late I've been shooting the V-tac boards at my range with the pistols, makes for an interesting course of fire. Its always a plus training with your heart rate up, being able to calm yourself in a stressful situation is a huge advantage.
    A reporter interviewing a Marine Sniper asked, " What do you feel when you have to shoot a terrorist"? The Marine shrugged his shoulders and replied "Recoil"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    Set up you course and use an airsoft for technique and discipline.

Dryfire.
    Dryfire some more.
    Then even more dryfire.
    cost = $0.

The things you need to do on the range are recoil control related, and vision related (helping you to see the sights in recoil).
    Accellerator drill. Bill drill. Timing drills. Garcia dot drill (better use of limited ammo than dot torture, IMO).
    Those drills will go through the ammo quickly, but are best use of actual recoil vs a bunch of draws and reloads etc you can do in your living room.

Then a few el prez to see how the dryfire is working (12 rounds incorporating draws, transitions, reloads) when you put it all together.

-rvb
    Both seem like really reasonable things to do, hell don't they make really good airsoft gun copies of most firearms these days? I can see airsoft guns being used for force on force stuff and to practice weapon handling in a safe manner, while el presidente drills and limited live fire and competition can be used to ensure what you are doing with dryfire and airsoft guns is working
    Low Speed, High Drag

I'm not a fan of airsoft for training, especially if you aren't ALSO shooting a lot of real ammo. Control/timing is radically different. The $ for the airsoft equipment is better spent on more ammo, IMO...

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Hold off on shooting and focus on school.

Save your money. BUILD your ammo stash and get into hand loading.

Practice drawing and pop one round off on a single steel target. Practice popping a round or two off and reloading.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    Hold off on shooting and focus on school.

Save your money. BUILD your ammo stash and get into hand loading.
    You can't "focus on school" every waking hour. I started shooting (but not yet competing) while in undergrad. I remember making my first "bulk" 500 round purchase, thinking how awesome I was going to get shooting 50 rounds/week for the next 10 weeks. 20-30 minutes of dryfire 4-5 times per week can fit in any schedule.

I was already competing when I went to grad school. I shot fewer matches and got in less practice, but I still dryfired several times per week, got in live fire most weeks, and the occasional match...

just don't let it impact the schooling...

-rvb

Dryfire is key. Occasionally you need to see some muzzle flip and feel recoil, but the majority of training can be done without live ammo.

Never stop burning tin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast