• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott357

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    I picked up a new Heritage 22 revolver from the local sporting goods store on sale for 99 dollars. Has a 6.5" barrel. A coupon came with it......send in 30 bucks and I can get a cylinder that fires 22 Magnums. Is there a big difference between 22 Long and 22 Magnum from a 6.5" barrel?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    There is when it comes to paying for the bullets. Probably not what you were looking for? We also have these and the few times we've fired mags from them at close range, they appear louder and striking with greater impact. No chrono data available from here. You did answer my question, as I've wondered if the cylinders were timed to each gun and if Heritage is willing to ship a cylinder, that would appear to not be the case.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My brother and I just went in halves on one. $115 through Buckshot. Same deal, for $30 you can buy the 22wmr cylinder. So that's on order. I'm not sure on difference on velocity out of a 6.5" bbl. my guess is there is some. In addition, the magnums often have better projectiles that 22 lr does.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm hoping to go borrow it this weekend. He said he is shocked at how nice it is. And it is actually somewhat accurate. We both had very low expectations, but figured we'd take a gamble. So far it's looking like it paid off.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's not a match pistol, but it wasn't advertised as such either.
    The Heritage "Rough Riders" are great little single-action revolvers.
    I have one, and my brother does too. They are accurate enough for what can be expected from a 6" barrel.
    Well designed, well built, and even have a decent finish.

I bought mine with the magnum cylinder as part of the package. I actually bought the Rough Rider BECAUSE it had the magnum cylinder included.
    I would not hesitate to spend the extra $30 for the mag cylinder.
    You won't be sorry you did.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I ordered the magnum cylinder for mine as well. It is a lot of fun to plink with and got the magnum cylinder as more of a "hey check this out" kind of thing whether or not it will have any function over costing more to shoot I have no idea.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The nice thing about shooting a Rough Rider is that I can shoot crap ammo just fine. I have a P22 that has not seen range time in about 3 years since it prefers decent 22 ammo. The old RR just plinks away with whatever old junk I have lying around.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My cousin and I had one for awhile. It is what it is, a hundred dollar pea shooter. It was nothing special although it went bang every time. Not sure about accuracy we just blasted stuff with it. The .22LR was pretty boring and uneventful so we only shot maggys from it. We peddled it off and don't miss it. For the price have some fun and you can always get what you paid back out of a firearm.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had one for several years; mine came with the mag cylinder, but i never use it.

No recoil, and a long barrel, for as pistol, make it very accurate; I take mine, when I check my snares, dispatched several coons, and even a coyote last winter.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I bought one a couple of years ago with both cylinders, never fired the magnums. Gave it to my son, I'll have to see if he's shot any magnums through it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you look at the chrono numbers for .22 Magnum from a long barreled revolver (the Heritage certainly fits that description), you'll see that you get velocity/energy numbers essentially identical to what you'll get with .22 LR high velocity out of a 20"-24" rifle barrel.
    Of course, the ammo is quite a bit more expensive and harder to get than .22 LR, but (as Woobie mentioned above) you also have the option to use higher quality bullets that could perform better for hunting.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    If you have the option for the .22 mag., I would go for it. Even if you only try it a few times, it is a hoot to shoot. I took my daughter to our 4-H park to plink with my old Ruger .22/.22 mag and she liked the fireballs that spit out with the .22 mag. (It is especially more visible indoors.) You can tell the difference from shooting .22 LR.
    ----
    GB!

Top Bottom