• ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Coming Soon? S&W New Model 66 with 2.75" barrel

For those of us who have a revolver fetish, especially the S&W fans out there, THIS is some very exciting news:

Model 66 with 2.75 inch barrel is being introduced

If this isn't a prank , everything on my wishlist just went out the window, as this will be my next purchase! It has the nice undercut on the lug, just as the earlier 66 snubbies did, which will help distinguish it from the 2.5 and 3" 686 models that have a full lug.

SW10061_1_zps4gbohapy.jpg

I picked up the 4.25" NM 66 Combat Magnum shortly after it was released, which I've upgraded with a Hi-Viz front sight, and Wilson Combat spring kit, and LOVE it. Also had some help from Zach at ZR Tactical in Noblesville, who did a bang-up job giving it a fresh bead blast after I had scuffed it all up learning how these things come apart, and go back together (sort of a revolver smithing tuition fee, if you will)...

SampW%20NM66%20Combat%20Magnum%2009.23.2015_zpsgiijf1ly.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Thank you Santa, now bring it to my LGS soon, please!!

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This barrel length - in M-69 form, chambered for .45 ACP and cut for moon clips?

It would be better than a Mike's Carwash gift book.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Ahh, my patience finally paid off!! Got a notification last Monday night from Grab-A-Gun that these were FINALLY in stock. Soon as I woke up and saw the message, I placed my order, and just picked it up tonight.

The stock trigger setup was very good, better than the factory setup in my 4.25" NM66. However, I did go ahead and install the Wilson Combat main spring and 13# trigger return spring, and it's that much better still. Some new Altamont Altai stocks, got the sights dialed in, and it's ready to sling some lead.

I feel like I got lucky on this one, or Smith has totally stepped up their game. Barrel is in absolute perfect alignment with the top strap, and not a single mark on it to be found.

20170501_213244_zpse7add2al.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Nice gun Hopper.:yesway:
    Let us know how it shoots.
    Was hoping you'd see this! Sort of speaking from the other thread, but want to say that fit and finish on this is the best of any new Smith I've picked up over the last few years, and also much, much better than the 19-5 that I picked up from a forum member here. The ball detent lockup system is also a newer design than my 4.25" NM 66. I like what they've done with it. The logo is also roll-marked, where my 4.25" model is laser etched.

I'll definitely report back once I've had a chance to give it a workout.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I really like the contrast of the dark hammer, trigger, and cylinder release against the stainless.
    Never seen grips like that before, nice.

I will look for one of those to check out, would be a sweet carry gun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Have many 66 snub's. 2 smith and a Rossi copy. The Rossi copy has been my everyday carry since the 1980's. old interamrs import
    It has to stay in the car during work so the copy gets the nod over the originals. The original cost of the copy and a model 60 copy was just over 300 back in the day purchased as a set of two. The 60 copy was sold off a few years ago for 300 so the 66 copy is I guess free.

Have tried many other carry guns over the years Glocks hi powers (second best) 1911's even a PPK/s (still go to in summer). The 66 just feels right. Enough weight right size and works so well. The only real change has been carrying 38 plus p federal over full blown 357. Fire one in the dark with full 357 and you will know why.

Nice to to see them back.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Have many 66 snub's. 2 smith and a Rossi copy. The Rossi copy has been my everyday carry since the 1980's. old interamrs import
    It has to stay in the car during work so the copy gets the nod over the originals. The original cost of the copy and a model 60 copy was just over 300 back in the day purchased as a set of two. The 60 copy was sold off a few years ago for 300 so the 66 copy is I guess free.

Have tried many other carry guns over the years Glocks hi powers (second best) 1911's even a PPK/s (still go to in summer). The 66 just feels right. Enough weight right size and works so well. The only real change has been carrying 38 plus p federal over full blown 357. Fire one in the dark with full 357 and you will know why.

Nice to to see them back.

These have that 2-piece barrel correct? What are your thoughts on that? I've seen much about those yet. Any chance you can get a pic or two of the barrel for us?

I've been thinking about one of these since I heard about them. Kind of torn between it and a 686+ or a 69 2.75". I want all 3 but that will take a while. Looking forward to your range report once you don't have to take a canoe down to change out targets.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    The NM 66 and 69, in both 2.75" and 4.25", have sleeved barrels. So yes, it's a 2-piece barrel. If I'm not mistaken, this was originally introduced back with the 66-7 in the early 90's. Word has it that this design aids in accuracy, but to be honest, I've noticed little if any difference between this, and my Model 19-5 with the 1-piece barrel.

Both the newer 2.75" models also have a newly designed detent system which can't be seen when you close the cylinder, and improves cylinder lockup over the more exposed ball detent design in the 4.25" models that were introduced in 2014. It's sort of like S&W's take on the Ruger triple-lock system, if you will.

Man, I'm jonesing to give this a workout!! The Mrs and I have a wedding to attend tomorrow, or I'd be hitting the nearby indoor range for sure. Soon, I hope. Soon!!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm really late getting back to this thread with a report, but really pleased to say that this new 66 snub performed flawlessly. I only ran 38 special through it on this trip to see how it ran before putting a cylinder or two of 357 downrange, which I'll do next time. The Wilson Combat spring kit didn't disappoint, not a single light strike in DA to be had, it ran like a top! The only problem I noticed when giving it a first thorough bath is that the strain screw backed out a bit. Easy fix with a dab of blue Loctite, which I didn't want to do until I was sure there wouldn't be any light hits in DA. I should have put up a target to double check accuracy, but I was ringing small steel plates at roughly 30 yards in DA with relative ease.

It was a happy happy day before the rain came in!

Top Bottom