• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Looking to buy matching .22 LR pistols for BOB's for the wife and I. I currently have .22 WMR pistols but want the more common .22 LR.

1. Accurate out to 50 yards.
    2. Iron sights only.
    3. Might stay in the bag for 30 days or more before firing and cleaning.

Any other ideas that I might have missed for a BOB gun?

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have shot the S&W M&P 22 Compact. Great pistol. You might consider the Ruger SR22 pistols. They are available in two barrel lengths. Check out the Rimfire Central Forums

Edit: I overlooked the 50 yard requirement. Consider a take down Ruger 10/22.

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I own an M&P 22 and would say if you are wanting 50 yard accuracy this is not the gun for you. My vote would be for a Ruger MK 1,2, or 3. I assume the pistol will be used to provide food for the fire and as the M&P is fun to shoot I don't see it having the accuracy that you are wanting.

If weight is a concern you could go with the Ruger 22/45 Lite......The Ruger will cost you a little bit more but I don't think the M&P will fill your needs.:twocents:

As for my views on the Rugers there are a lot more options on what you can do to them to get them to fill you needs. V.Q. make a ton of stuff for them if price is NOT an option. The only upside the M&P has over the Ruger is cleaning! The Ruger can be a PITA to tear down and clean but they are bullet proof and will last forever!

And lest not forget the Ruger single six. I have not shot one but they have been around forever. This also gives you the option of having the 22WMR cylinder so a simple cylinder swap out and you could use the mags for larger game and self defense if no other options are on hand.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Browning Buck Mark Camper FTW.

I'm not sold on the TruGlo front sight that ships with it from the factory. It appears to me to be a bit too big of a glowing blob.

I much prefer the Williams Firesights. My Buck Mark sports Williams Firesights both front and rear.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    My ruger 22/45 lite has a handful of mods, it's pretty reliable (if you feed it a diet of cci mini mags), and is dead nuts accurate. 3" circle at 25 yards shooting quickly. 2lb propane canisters at 50yards all day.

I'd look at the Mark IV personally. My 22/45 lite needed a few mods to run good.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    1. Accurate out to 50 yards.

Are you both accurate to this range with good pistols?

If not then perhaps one of you carries a pistol (weight/size/stealth) and another carries a 10/22 Takedown (distance/accuracy). Shared ammo, but different tools for different needs and skill sets. Something to think about depending on your goals/needs.

Edit: I overlooked the 50 yard requirement. Consider a take down Ruger 10/22.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    You did specify pistol, but if you want to look in a slightly different direction, not much can beat the Henry AR-7 in a BOB. Accuracy wise, it'll best any handgun. Getting it assembled and into action, not so much.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ruger 22/45 Lite. very lightweight, accurate, tweakable.

It's 22 ounces compared to the Camper's 36.

And it looks cooler.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll throw in the Ruger Charger and maybe even the takedown version. For putting food on the fire, I think it is a great choice.

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Yet another vote for the 22/45 Lite. Mine does have the VQ upgrades in it and a red dot. My 8 year old grand son can hit full size steel at 50 yards suppressed without any problems. I would also suggest a 10/22 Take Down. This gives you more accuracy at longer ranges.
    Dan

Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Your fifty yard requirement makes it tough. .22 pistols with barrels that in the 2 inch range are not going to be that accurate. You can hit a bear with them, but don't expect to hit a squirrel at that distance. Comments on the longer barreled Rugers are good. The newer Mark IV's are great but not what I see as a pack gun. I do like the suggestion of the 10/22 takedown version. It's designed for your purpose.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    How about a AR pistol? Carry the 22LR and .223 bolts and ammo. Put on a brace and be ready for anything you meet on the way home.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If you can find one, they made a 10" target MKII. I have one. With a rest of some sort, 50 yards for small animals is doable with irons.

Top Bottom