• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'm finally back to a point where I can snag a 1911 again, planning on keeping this one long term. :) I don't need the holy grail but want a solid shooter! I've had a pretty wide range of them in the past and really liked the Colts. Anyone buy a new Colt lately, fitment good, good general quality? My lgs has several Colts to choose from, a springer range officer, a dozen kimber choices (custom ii tle) being my only second look there. And he has the ruger sr1911 tactical. But I'm not big on railed 1911s or stainless so. Thanks for any info!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Bought one about 2 yrs ago, no issues!! fit and finish is really good. SUPER SMOOTH.My only issue is the plastic mainspring housing.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I haven't bought one recently but have friends that have.

A Colt is still a Colt. Quality is still there (in spite of what the internet says), quality control may be less than in decades past but that's a common complaint with most industries. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a new Colt 1911, though I'd suggest you take a look at the Performance Center 1911's from Smith & Wesson (yes - I am biased) or the E-Series for much less money....Kimber's are great. My experience with them is that they look tremendous and shoot equally well - as long as they are cleaned/lubed and shooting premium ammo. My next addition will be a Sig Emperor Scorpion.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I picked up a Govt 1911 in 9mm last month. So far, I've put about 200 flawless rounds through it and it's quite the sweet shooter. When I first picked it up, I was not impressed with the fit. It felt like it had been lubed with gravel but once all of those sharp edges wore in with a bit of shooting, it has taken on a really nice smooth feel. It does rattle though, so the slide/frame fit is not the best. The roll marks are uneven, but that's a non-issue for me. Colt still uses a plastic MSH and the safety fit is among the worst I've felt on a production gun. It clicks off ok, but when engaging the thumb safety, it feels like there's a piece of balsa wood stuck in there somewhere. Both of those will be replaced shortly, so again, not a big deal to me. I have not done a detailed strip yet so cannot comment on the sear/hammer fit. On the upside, the machine work and bluing are well done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mixed revues from people I know that have let another Horse into the barn.
    Things I have read and personal fondling tell me I will not have another one. At least not now.
    Series 80 nonsense. Fit/finish etc for the proud price points.

The Rugers I have had (and still have 1 but it is no way near as built) are OK but I still like the Springers.
    RO's are very solid pieces. The rear sites give some folks issues if the carry them.
    Look at the Loaded models. JMHO and I have seen a few turds come from SA as with any mass produced hand gun.

No more Kimbers.....ever.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Excellent thanks for the responses so far, I know he had a base blued 1991 government model in stock, a new style 70 series blued, and a few commander sizes last week. I wouldn't hate a combat model but I really did love the blued 5' I had a couple years ago. It shot very well also so I am not too worried about actual function. Wednesday can't get here fast enough!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Things I have read and personal fondling tell me I will not have another one. At least not now.

The Rugers I have had (and still have 1 but it is no way near as built) are OK but I still like the Springers.
    RO's are very solid pieces. The rear sites give some folks issues if the carry them.
    Look at the Loaded models. JMHO and I have seen a few turds come from SA as with any mass produced hand gun.

Appreciate the post, your 1911 knowledge is vast! I like everything about the RO except the rear sight, and I do plan on CCing this for spells. I have read a lot of mixed as well on the Rugers, going to pass on them. I'll most likely grab a Colt but if he has a nice Springfield I will have a harder choice no doubt. I need to grab some spare mags again and an iwb holster, here we go again!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Appreciate the post, your 1911 knowledge is vast! I like everything about the RO except the rear sight, and I do plan on CCing this for spells. I have read a lot of mixed as well on the Rugers, going to pass on them. I'll most likely grab a Colt but if he has a nice Springfield I will have a harder choice no doubt. I need to grab some spare mags again and an iwb holster, here we go again!

This is all personal preference of course. If you get the Colt I hope it treats you very well.\

Mags.....do not cheap out on them. Tripp/Wilson 48 series etc.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    I own two current production Colt 1911s a Combat Elite and a Gold Cup. Fit and finish on both seems excellent. Both shoot well and have had exactly one failure to feed on the combat elite and thats because i limp wristed it i believe. They are a better gun than a ruger, id go as far as to say they are a better gun than a springfield as well. Are they custom 1911s no they are not but they are a damn fine production gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own two current production Colt 1911s a Combat Elite and a Gold Cup. Fit and finish on both seems excellent. Both shoot well and have had exactly one failure to feed on the combat elite and thats because i limp wristed it i believe. They are a better gun than a ruger, id go as far as to say they are a better gun than a springfield as well. Are they custom 1911s no they are not but they are a damn fine production gun.

Not to start an argument but I would class the Gold Cup with a TRP and the Elite possibly with a Loaded model in the SA line.
    All 4 are excellent offerings.
    That said picking your favorite Marque is a personal preference. Dropping this amount of Money on a pistol is not a casual thing for a lot of folks.
    I have personally had the experience of owning/modifying several Colts and the last 4 were just turds. You expect one occasionally from any manf. but 4 in a row is just not cool.
    I am to understand they are coming back a bit with the quality but also that they are not there yet.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've had a few Springfields, a few Colts, a Para, Sig, RIA, etc etc. They all shot pretty good really, some had shortcomings for sure. The springfields have been top notch as well as the colts. I did have a Gold cup four or five years ago and I did not care for it, not sure what it was but I just didn't like it. I would also place springfield close with Colt.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.

Why no Kimber's?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why no Kimber's?

From owning a few of the newer ones they are just clunky. Darned pretty pieces for sure but just not up to the standards I would expect from that price point.

No knock on you all that have own them. JMHO as to what my expectations are for a gun that brings that money.

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    You asked about Colts recent quality, I can only say good things about my Colts Wiley Clapp lightweight commander. Good trigger, fit and finish is good, feeds anything I've put in it. That being said I also have a Springfield Range Officer that is every bit as good, although the blued finish on the Colt is more pleasing to look at. My EDC is a Ruger SR1911 lightweight commander that just works, and I do mean works well. Its been thru a Gunsite class and gets probably 3 to 4,000 rounds a year thru it. I do agree, however, there is still something about that prancing pony on the side, though...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The Colts i've looked at/owned the past few years have been some of the best i've seen. The slide to frame and barrel fit is no Les Baer but hasn't been bad at all unlike years past, much tighter now than even the older "vaunted" Series 70's. I recently picked out a nice series 70 repro in blued finish. The current Govt's I have looked at have been nice as well but if you are looking for a pistol with good upgrades try to find or order one of the new Series I, II, or III's. They are based on series 70 so you don't have the series 80's parts to content with. Last I looked Bud's had some good prices on them or at least some pics/descriptions of what you get. If you're flexible, like CM says, you can't really go wrong with the Springers, especially as a base gun. I saw an RO the other day that even actually had a good beavertail fit!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    From colts I've seen come in brand new to a gun shop up to last summer I can tell you they are hit and miss on their pistols. I've seen some come in with terrible fit and even finish (scratches and such) and then others where they were cosmeticay and fitted perfect. It's pretty bad when you joke how you wouldn't buy a brand new gun that just came in.
    Like said above maybe those sharp edges and fit issues go away or can be fixed, but for me when you spend that much on a known makers gun I expect it to get 100% and that's why I'm giving the higher price.
    even on some of their AR's in the last few years quality slipped! But so did their prices and they almost went bankrupt.
    do I own colt AR's? Yes I have 2 now. I've had more that I sold or traded.
    Would I buy a NEW Colt now for collectibility? No
    would I buy a colt now to shoot or for self defense? Yes but I'd make sure to test it good first just like any other gun for that purpose.
    Dont overpay just because it is a colt. Older colts I'd pay more for, colts made within the last 10 years no. I'll pay the basic price.
    For a Used colt 6920 I wouldn't pay more than $700 and believe me for the same quality you can find other brands for less that that.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My biggest issue with Kimbers is the price point. I've owned two and still have one of those. Both were entry level guns that cost $750 and $850 each. Both needed night sights, MSHs and Grips to make them right. At the end of the day, the current one cost me almost $1100 in all for a gun that should have totalled out at no more than $900 with upgrades. But, I like the gun and it's been flawless in function. The finish was crap, so I bead blasted the aluminum frame and like the looks of it that way. The Kimber recoil spring setup had a short life expectancy, so I swapped it out for a flat wire recoil spring system. It's a great gun, but it should have run $650 to $700, not $850 for what it is.

But, you live and learn and then move on hopefully to not make the same mistakes twice. If I had it to do again, I'd put that $850 into a compact Sig 1911 and would have come away with everything I was looking for from the start.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I really like the colts and the blued government model at my lgs is sharp!! As long as it feels good I'll more than likely get it. I ordered some Tripp cobra and Wilson 47ds this morning. Super pumped!!!

Top Bottom