Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Master

EDC replacement time... suggestions of things to look at.

Looks like I may be making some moves and my current EDC wil be moving on. While I am not a huge Taurus fan, this particular EDChas been fantastic. reliable, accurate(ish. it's a 3"bbl .45. I'm not taking down baddies at 25 yds with it) compact and light. Loved the 10 and 12+1 capacity.

Now, I am not asking what to buy. I won't make that recommendations to others as it's a personal choice and you need to find what fits you best. I just know that I can become a bit myopic when it comes to making choices on guns and cars. So I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to look into to fit my role. I'll likely be trading off/selling a parkerized M1911A1 Springer, so I'd like to stay around the $500 mark (plus or minus a little OK just not a $1200 1911 or $150 hi-point). requirements are:

MUST be .45acp. I've consolidated calibers to this. I don't feel like adding more.
    Must hold a minimum of 7 rounds.
    Must be lighter than my Springer Loaded. If not, I'll just carry that.
    Must be compact-ish. My locked storage in the car is small, so a 5" 1911 doesn't fit, but the compact 24/7 with the 12 rd mag does.
    Prefer thumb safeties. I know all the logic etc, but I've always carried with one and the act of thumbing off the safety is a natural reaction for me.
    No Glocks. Sorry, it's not that I'm a hater, they are fine guns. I just don't shoot them for **** and do not like the feel.

What I've carried in the past: 1991A1 compact, M1911A1, Springfield loaded, Star .40 (never again) and a Rossi .38spl. I like and am most comfortable with the 1911 platform, just not sure if a $400-500 compact 1911 is going to be as reliable as my Taurus (boy, that just sounds odd).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. So, I'd love a new Sig 227 Carry. It's the 900 price tag that gets me. Although, the thought of keeping the M1911A1 and trading/selling hte loaded is an idea.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar
    XDS? I just sold mine because A. I have little girl hands and it's a little snappy. and B. I just never carried it very much. It is, however, very solid and pretty accurate.
    "fascist" simply means the other side is poopy. That's a paraphrase.

M&P 45c with the Apex trigger is really sweet!

Sharpshooter
    Scandium S&W 1911.

They're coming out with a Shield in .45, and in the past those have had a thumb safety option. Not sure on capacity, but it fits the rest of your requirements. Walther has the PPQ .45, but it has no thumb safety.
    "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Plinker
    XD-S with extended mag.

Expert
    Springfield XD series, EAA Witness, or M&P 45c.

Going by your criteria I would agree with some of the above posters, a M&P compact or Shield with thumb safety. Why are you changing if you like you Taurus? Not that I would encourage anyone to use a Taurus as their EDC, just curious.
    Michael Swisher

Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!

Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast