Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Master

EDC replacement time... suggestions of things to look at.

Looks like I may be making some moves and my current EDC wil be moving on. While I am not a huge Taurus fan, this particular EDChas been fantastic. reliable, accurate(ish. it's a 3"bbl .45. I'm not taking down baddies at 25 yds with it) compact and light. Loved the 10 and 12+1 capacity.

Now, I am not asking what to buy. I won't make that recommendations to others as it's a personal choice and you need to find what fits you best. I just know that I can become a bit myopic when it comes to making choices on guns and cars. So I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to look into to fit my role. I'll likely be trading off/selling a parkerized M1911A1 Springer, so I'd like to stay around the $500 mark (plus or minus a little OK just not a $1200 1911 or $150 hi-point). requirements are:

MUST be .45acp. I've consolidated calibers to this. I don't feel like adding more.
    Must hold a minimum of 7 rounds.
    Must be lighter than my Springer Loaded. If not, I'll just carry that.
    Must be compact-ish. My locked storage in the car is small, so a 5" 1911 doesn't fit, but the compact 24/7 with the 12 rd mag does.
    Prefer thumb safeties. I know all the logic etc, but I've always carried with one and the act of thumbing off the safety is a natural reaction for me.
    No Glocks. Sorry, it's not that I'm a hater, they are fine guns. I just don't shoot them for **** and do not like the feel.

What I've carried in the past: 1991A1 compact, M1911A1, Springfield loaded, Star .40 (never again) and a Rossi .38spl. I like and am most comfortable with the 1911 platform, just not sure if a $400-500 compact 1911 is going to be as reliable as my Taurus (boy, that just sounds odd).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. So, I'd love a new Sig 227 Carry. It's the 900 price tag that gets me. Although, the thought of keeping the M1911A1 and trading/selling hte loaded is an idea.

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar
    XDS? I just sold mine because A. I have little girl hands and it's a little snappy. and B. I just never carried it very much. It is, however, very solid and pretty accurate.
    It is good to have friends when you need them, even if they are only in your head

M&P 45c with the Apex trigger is really sweet!

Expert
    Scandium S&W 1911.

They're coming out with a Shield in .45, and in the past those have had a thumb safety option. Not sure on capacity, but it fits the rest of your requirements. Walther has the PPQ .45, but it has no thumb safety.
    "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Plinker
    XD-S with extended mag.

Expert
    Springfield XD series, EAA Witness, or M&P 45c.

Shield 45.

Going by your criteria I would agree with some of the above posters, a M&P compact or Shield with thumb safety. Why are you changing if you like you Taurus? Not that I would encourage anyone to use a Taurus as their EDC, just curious.
    Michael Swisher

Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!
    Stupid should hurt!!! ~ Amishman44

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast