EDC replacement time... suggestions of things to look at.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Looks like I may be making some moves and my current EDC wil be moving on. While I am not a huge Taurus fan, this particular EDChas been fantastic. reliable, accurate(ish. it's a 3"bbl .45. I'm not taking down baddies at 25 yds with it) compact and light. Loved the 10 and 12+1 capacity.

Now, I am not asking what to buy. I won't make that recommendations to others as it's a personal choice and you need to find what fits you best. I just know that I can become a bit myopic when it comes to making choices on guns and cars. So I'm looking for suggestions on what I need to look into to fit my role. I'll likely be trading off/selling a parkerized M1911A1 Springer, so I'd like to stay around the $500 mark (plus or minus a little OK just not a $1200 1911 or $150 hi-point). requirements are:

MUST be .45acp. I've consolidated calibers to this. I don't feel like adding more.
    Must hold a minimum of 7 rounds.
    Must be lighter than my Springer Loaded. If not, I'll just carry that.
    Must be compact-ish. My locked storage in the car is small, so a 5" 1911 doesn't fit, but the compact 24/7 with the 12 rd mag does.
    Prefer thumb safeties. I know all the logic etc, but I've always carried with one and the act of thumbing off the safety is a natural reaction for me.
    No Glocks. Sorry, it's not that I'm a hater, they are fine guns. I just don't shoot them for **** and do not like the feel.

What I've carried in the past: 1991A1 compact, M1911A1, Springfield loaded, Star .40 (never again) and a Rossi .38spl. I like and am most comfortable with the 1911 platform, just not sure if a $400-500 compact 1911 is going to be as reliable as my Taurus (boy, that just sounds odd).

Thanks in advance!

P.S. So, I'd love a new Sig 227 Carry. It's the 900 price tag that gets me. Although, the thought of keeping the M1911A1 and trading/selling hte loaded is an idea.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    They're coming out with a Shield in .45, and in the past those have had a thumb safety option. Not sure on capacity, but it fits the rest of your requirements. Walther has the PPQ .45, but it has no thumb safety.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Going by your criteria I would agree with some of the above posters, a M&P compact or Shield with thumb safety. Why are you changing if you like you Taurus? Not that I would encourage anyone to use a Taurus as their EDC, just curious.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1zlyivr.jpg

OR

23rttkx.jpg

I don't have the Shield 45, but will probably pick one up soon. The second pic is one of my EDC pistols, an M&P 45c. It holds 8+1 and weighs 33.7 ounces fully loaded with 9 rounds of Federal 230 grain HST .45 +P rounds. An empty Springer Loaded weighs 40 ounces. You are talking well over 1/2 lb weight difference between the 45c and a Springer Loaded when loaded with 8+1, and the 45c has the option of standard 10 round M&P 45 mags for carry or backup. Mine has been absolutely reliable, and is very comfortable and a natural pointer with a similar grip angle to a 1911. It is easy to conceal, has a lot of aftermarket sight options, and can be had with or without a thumb safety. It is one of my favorite pistols.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Do not buy a Kahr. I'd honestly rather carry a Taurus, and that's saying something. You know that other thread here on INGO that asks "Glock 43, does it get any better?" With my experience, I could start a thread titled "Kahr pistols, does it get any worse?" Honestly, I'd rather drive a 1990's Chrysler product AND carry a Taurus than to rely on a Kahr to protect me.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Too bad you're not in consideration of a Glock because I'd highly recommend my Glock 36...it's a 6+1 pistol that is incredibly accurate, light-to-carry, easy-to-conceal, .45 acp pistol...I've jumped around in the EDC market for several years but it's been my EDC since I got it in 2013...it just 'fits'...and I love it!
    That's how I feel about 1911's. Nothing ever feels as good in my hand.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Given your fondness of 1911 I would look at the Shield or Springfield XDs in .45. They will point about the same as a 1911 and both have either a grip or thumb safety. Plus they are slim. Otherwise just carry the 1911s.

You might consider a Ruger LW Commander. But you will have to up the budget to about $700.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Do not buy a Kahr. I'd honestly rather carry a Taurus, and that's saying something. You know that other thread here on INGO that asks "Glock 43, does it get any better?" With my experience, I could start a thread titled "Kahr pistols, does it get any worse?" Honestly, I'd rather drive a 1990's Chrysler product AND carry a Taurus than to rely on a Kahr to protect me.

The only problem I've ever had with a Kahr is one where the rear sight fell out, literally as I was inspecting it on the way home. The dealer swapped the slide for another and took the issue up with Kahr.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom