• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun1995

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2017
    Warsaw
    I have had my eye on some Kimber 1911s recently and was wondering what the people on here had to say about them. Any input whether good things or bad is welcome.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you don't shoot much or often you shouldn't have a problem with a newer Kimber.
    I've had a lot of Kimbers and the newer ones I've had needed a parts department to keep them going. I shoot more than most people so that's got a lot to do with it.
    I wish they made them like the version one. I'd still own some Kimbers. As it sits now I do own 2 of the original series but NONE of the Kimber II models. I sold them all at a loss after I put a bunch of money in them just keeping them running.
    Before you ask...
    Slide stops, mag releases, main spring housings, 2 firing pins, and lots of "Rust preventative" oils and lubes.

Younggun1995

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2017
    Warsaw
    IF you don't shoot much or often you shouldn't have a problem with a newer Kimber.
    I've had a lot of Kimbers and the newer ones I've had needed a parts department to keep them going. I shoot more than most people so that's got a lot to do with it.
    I wish they made them like the version one. I'd still own some Kimbers. As it sits now I do own 2 of the original series but NONE of the Kimber II models. I sold them all at a loss after I put a bunch of money in them just keeping them running.
    Before you ask...
    Slide stops, mag releases, main spring housings, 2 firing pins, and lots of "Rust preventative" oils and lubes.

Thanks for the information. I don't usually get out shooting as often as I'd like but during the summer I aim to go out once a week or once every two weeks. Usually just take a couple guns and put 50-100 rounds through each one. Hate to spend around a grand on a gun that is gonna break and have problems..

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks for the information. I don't usually get out shooting as often as I'd like but during the summer I aim to go out once a week or once every two weeks. Usually just take a couple guns and put 50-100 rounds through each one. Hate to spend around a grand on a gun that is gonna break and have problems..

I'm NOT going to say you will have problems but that's been my experience with the newer ones.
    I've owned Kimbers since the early 80s. YMMV

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    A buddy just bought the Ruger SR1911 and I went through it for him.
    Stainless model, very good fit, pretty good trigger out of the box, and seems to be made well.
    Springfield Armory makes dependable guns and they're easy to upgrade.
    In the $1K range the S&W are nice.
    Some of these mentioned have the ugliest graffiti known to man. I prefer a clean look on a gun myself. IF they keep this graffiti up like it is I won't be surprised to have electric lights on them.

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Could just buy a Rock Island and upgrade from there.

Their new models have scratched the big rollmarks.

Spring kit, internal polishing...even with some upgraded internals your still well under what a Springfield costs "out of the box"....and it works better.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Spring kit, internal polishing...even with some upgraded internals your still well under what a Springfield costs "out of the box"....and it works better.

Don't forget the costs of refinishing the RIA. The finish will last about a week.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Kimbers are great after a few hundred rounds and you replace the internals and work out all the bugs. After that you should be good for a few more hundred rounds before the next problem. It's been my experience that you won't find much kimber love on this site.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

It is not physically possible for a Rock Island unless very very heavily modified to be anywhere near as well fit as a SA gun. The bushing to barrel fit, locking lug interface, breech-face interface and last but not certainty least slide to frame fit will be much better on an SA gun than an RAI. 1911's are by Striker fired standards very complicated in comparison and a simple "spring kit and polishing" does not turn a sub-par product into a good one that only marginally works with a Glock.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    All Im saying is personally if I were to own a Kimber, if it doesnt say Clackamas on it, Im not interested. Ive only owned one Kimber, a Clackamas made pistol and it was very nice. Ive seen and handled lots of other Kimbers that paled in comparison.

Top Bottom